capo

wilki29

• Members

I'm wondering if either it gave him lower action or he played a lot of lead work and did a lot of string bends.

None of the above. He used a lot of open drone notes, and didn't like the sound of the open string, wanted a fretted sound. It was only on one bass, and he only used that bass on 2 songs. Would have messed with my head but good though.

• Moderators

None of the above. He used a lot of open drone notes, and didn't like the sound of the open string, wanted a fretted sound. It was only on one bass, and he only used that bass on 2 songs. Would have messed with my head but good though.

Ahhh, he needed a brass or nickel nut. :)

• Members

The only circumstances where I'd consider using one on bass would be if I'd worked out a fairly complicated fingering for a part, involving use of open strings, and needed to play it in a different key on short notice.

As stated earlier, I experimented with it on one song before in a very experimental type of band. But I also had a bizarre tuning on the bass too...

It was a 5 string tuned ADAEG, (I think, been a few years, but that sounds right) where the B string (and nut of course) were replaced and substituted with another A string, same gauge same tuning as the "normal" A string... then capo'd at the fourth IIRC.

I played with a lot of effects, used a lot of chords, and there was a second bass player in Drop D that played the more normal low end stuff, I was up doing chording with effects and the like.

Archived