I was WRONG!

Thunderbroom

• Members

I gave some of you {censored} about owning Petersen tuner. My thinking was why would anyone pay $190 for a pedal tuner and who needs to be "that" accurate with their tuning.

I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

I got mine a few days ago. My reason for buying it was simply because the screen can be read in direct sunlight which has been a problem for me at times during some of our outdoor gigs this Summer.

This thing tracks so effin' fast! I'm so used to having to wait for the low B to track...even on the TU-2 (granted it's not a long wait but a wait nonetheless). The tracking is instantaneous with this thing. Another plus for some folks (I don't really care that much) is that according to Petersen it's the only commercially available tuner that has 100% true bypass. It also has a DI (always nice to have a backup). The other thing that I like is that I can silently tune on stage but also am able to check intonation at a glance while playing. This will be helpful when I'm playing the PVC EUB in the coming weeks because I can't always hear clearly.

So...if you've got the cash to drop and want the end-all, be-all tuner...this is the one. I wish hadn't been so blinded and purchased one a while back.

• Members

I prefer rackmount. Less to deal with setting up. Me and one other guy set up the entire PA and lights, along with our rigs. I know it doesn't sound like much, but every second counts to get a good sound check.

• Members

I prefer rackmount. Less to deal with setting up. Me and one other guy set up the entire PA and lights, along with our rigs. I know it doesn't sound like much, but every second counts to get a good sound check.

I hear ya.

Since I have two (and soon to be three) heads and only one that's rack-mounted, the pedal version was for me. I don't know that it will be worth it to you, but so far I'm totally digging it. I'm going to use it to check the intonation in all of my basses.

• Members

I've been using the same hand-held Korg tuner for the last 20 years. It's accurate, reliable and worth the $15 I paid for it. It helps that my ears are pretty good.

I don't get it. Why does anyone need a $190 tuner? :confused:

• Moderators

The difference in accuracy between the Peterson and any hand held is quite substantial. Usually in the range of 6 cents between strings (+/- 3 cents per note). If your ears are well trained, you will immediately recognize an improvement. If your ears aren't well trained (because you've been slightly out of tune for the last twenty years ;) - I jest) it is a good opportunity to get your equipment in a condition to improve your training.

It is very possible to tune that accurately yourself if you hear well, but not on stage, on the fly, in a noisy environment, in a matter of seconds.

• Moderators
I'd bet money that it doesn't track as well or is as accurate as the Petersen.

I'd be willing to see that bet if I still had my RT7100. I still have a 1601 in the studio rack that tracks quick as a cat. Sabine is world famous for other frequency products, such as feedback eliminators that actually work.

Archived