OT: Kenworth & Buick mating season.

lokidecat

• Members

My GF got rear-ended by a drilling truck (any jokes made regarding this are old, told and unfunny now).

Thusly:

pic1.jpg

The car's barely worth a grand in "excellent condition," but the company wants me to drag it to body shops to figure out how much it would cost to fix.

I'm guessing between $2500-3500 to fix that (needs new quarters, body straightened etc..)

This owner guy wants to settle outside the insurance companies, should I just ask for like $2G's to buy her a new used car? I'm not tryin' to hit the hillbilly lottery here, but what would you guys do? WWBD? hmm

Anyways.. ouch.

• Members

That's totalled, no doubt about it.

Agreed about the Hillbilly Lottery, but, having experience with this (too much, as the other forumites will tell you), Lret the insurance companies handle it! That's what ya pay 'em to do.

If you are insisting on settling out of court, ask for twice what you feel the car is worth. Remember, there's replacing the car, plus your expenses getting a new one, and more for the trauma. You don't have to rake him ovder the coals, but an Insuranc atty would hit him up for about 10 gs!

• Members

I'd get a real good attorney right now.

That was some serious impact and serious, long term health problems could show up later. There is no need to treat this like the lottery, but she should get checked out thoroughly to rule out any subsequent health issues.

Don't accept low ball on the car repair/replacement costs. Demand that they pay the cost to restore the car to it's pre-accident condition if the totalled value is less than the repair cost.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

• Members

I'd get a real good attorney right now.

That was some serious impact and serious, long term health problems could show up later. There is no need to treat this like the lottery, but she should get checked out thoroughly to rule out any subsequent health issues.

Don't accept low ball on the car repair/replacement costs. Demand that they pay the cost to restore the car to it's pre-accident condition if the totalled value is less than the repair cost.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Honestly being that she was a) in a Buick b) in motion so it wasn't that jarring c) is young and flexible and d) refused to see a doctor (sigh)

At this point it's about getting her back on the road in some fashion. We talked to the owner of the company this morning, his first question to her was, "Are you feeling okay? Have you seen a doctor?" and then asked her what she wanted to do. He agreed to getting several estimates of what it would cost to fix, and go from there.

He seems really polite and friendly. We're not being swayed by it, but so far he's all on the up-and-up. Tomorrow we take it to a body shop and get an estimate.

Wee!:freak:

• Members

He seems really polite and friendly. We're not being swayed by it, but so far he's all on the up-and-up. Tomorrow we take it to a body shop and get an estimate.

personal guarantees of payment are worth the paper they are written on. if you agree to take a pay off, and not pursue this through the insurance companies, there is a good chance you will see nothing. the insurance companies are paid to take care of this stuff, and to make SURE you get paid. and yeah, its not a 'hillbilly lottery' (great term), but to get the running, working car.

• Members

I once drove an old Buick and got whacked by a crazy Cadillac flying over a hill. It hit the rear quarter panel and messed up bumper and side panel. No lights broken, no trunk damage... And my estimates were $1700 - $2500... I sold the car to a friend who has a garage for $900 and took the insurance check for $1800. So from the picture, it looks like you estimate should be higher than $2500 compared to the lesser damage I had.

• Members

My GF got rear-ended by a drilling truck
(any jokes made regarding this are old, told and unfunny now)

I beg to differ. They are hilarious. :D

Oh, and you have a girlfriend?

WWBD?

What would BOALG do?

:p

• Members

personal guarantees of payment are worth the paper they are written on. if you agree to take a pay off, and not pursue this through the insurance companies, there is a good chance you will see nothing. the insurance companies are paid to take care of this stuff, and to make SURE you get paid. and yeah, its not a 'hillbilly lottery' (great term), but to get the running, working car.

Sorry you've been screwed over so many times in your life. eesh

Make no nevermind, if she doesn't get reconciliation soon, she'll be calling up their insurance. She has it. She can be mean. :freak:

• CMS Author

Sorry you've been screwed over so many times in your life. eesh

Make no nevermind, if she doesn't get reconciliation soon, she'll be calling up their insurance. She has it. She can be mean.
:freak:

Good time to make use of your/(an) insurance agent. They can provide practical advice in these situations.

Archived