EH Bassballs?

slapthefunkyfour

• Members

That's a nice price. Anyone gots a MF promotion code to help a poor father of 3 out?!? Heh.

My friend had this black version and it sounded good thru his Bassman when we'd jam. I think I'm a gonna pick it up.

• Members

They can sound really good if you want to take the time to tune them.

Unfortunately, tuning them requires opening the pedal up, then fiddling with two small trim pots you can barely get at. If you are OK with that, you can get a good, funky sound out of it.

I like the tone of the Dr. Q better, but the Bassballs works better for bass.

$39 is a great price and you should get one.

• Members

Mine makes assorted farty sounds. It has it's time and place though. It does have a pretty pronounced pop when you dig in really hard. I've heard the trim pots inside the pedal can be adjusted to reduce this.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Anyone have that link to the Bassballs mod for the trim pots?

I used it for the 1st time at a gig the other night and despite turning down my passive bass for the boost that was about to happen, it still came on way too loudly. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the US re-issue version and I love it. Plug'n'play martian weirdness out of the box. I A/B-ed mine's against the Russian version and found no differences, apart from the evident aesthetical ones.

FWIW, the Bassballs sounds 10x better with a compressor in front of it.

:confused: Why ruining the dynamics when the filter reacts to them? I understand putting a compressor/limiter AFTER the EHX BassBalls due to its peaks, but before...?. :confused:

• Members

I have the US re-issue version and I love it. Plug'n'play martian weirdness out of the box. I A/B-ed mine's against the Russian version and found no differences, apart from the evident aesthetical ones.

:confused:
Why ruining the dynamics when the filter reacts to them? I understand putting a compressor/limiter AFTER the EHX BassBalls due to its peaks, but before...?.

I almost always run my Big Muff before the BassBalls, and an EQ pedal afterwards to level it out a bit.

• Members

unimpressed by this pedal?

Even with a compressor in front of it.

It did nothing for me at all.

I'll give it another try next weekend.

Well, it is a kind of a one-trick-pony by itself. Either you dig it or not. Nothing shameful on not doing it. I just dig mine's and that's it.

Archived