diy tube preamp build thread.

Guttermouth

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yup, it was a white-faced one.

"No need to use tie-wraps... we'll just tie all the cords together with tiny bits of string!"

that's strange.it's like the longer they made amps the {censored}tier they got.
i had a couple of early ones ( owned one and repaired 2 or 3 others) that were blackfaced and had round knobs and they were relatively clean. the wire ,jacks and pots were crap but the boards were well done and the layout was clean.
i guess if they had kept making amps by now they would just be light bulbs duct taped to coke cans :lol:

• Members

a little off topic but i also got this in the mail today:

newmeter.jpg

i know, i know, a meter -woohoo:rolleyes:

well for years now i've been using a p.o.s. meter and it finally died about 3 weeks ago. flukes are the freaking cadillac of the meter world as far as i'm concerned and it's really nice to have a meter that shows actual voltages so i don't have to do so much "ballparking" and "guessing" on repairs now.

I still have a Fluke 8020A which I got in 1978. About 17 years ago I picked up a 87 which is my main meter.

• Members

update for the 10th.
got the fender side done today and it sounds fantastic.i found quite a few mistakes in the schematic i used ( which led to almost a full day of troubleshooting -never trust a schematic you find online :)).
anyway,
now that the power supply is working the second channel shouldn't take very long to build at all. i have to order the 6sl7 but i think have all the rest of the parts on hand to do it.
i recorded a little clip of it while i was giving it a test run. the bass is my pv foundation.
pay close attention to how little noise there is in the pre. this was recorded with every rf producing device in my shop on ( the pre was within 2 feet of my monitor,had the top off and i had my soldering station as well as flourescent lights on and the pickups in the bass are single coils).there is also no other pre between the tube pre and the soundcard (my studio is ripped apart at the moment and i don't have a desk built for my new board yet).:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5653324&q=hi

gutsandfront.jpg

• Members
Sounds good on this end.
:)

sweet!
i have to say that even with all the extra b.s. involved in using dc for the filaments and switching the rectifier type over it was worth it. this is one of the quietest tube amps i've heard. i think it's gonna be a winner of a circuit when it's done :thu:

• Members
That sounds really, really clean! (as in: noiseless!)

I'd love to hear that with a little drive in the sound
:thu:

thanks man.
as it sits right now the fender side is set up just like an old fender (no master volume) and i don't have any recording pres hooked up to back the volume down. here's the pre cranked as high as i could get it without overdriving my soundcard (on about 8 or so). it does get a bit more distorted and a master volume could be put on it pretty easily (as well as upping the gain in the circuit). i'm thinking that the other channel will be the more distorted of the 2 so i've got this one dialed in to be a little more polite.
the first bit is a fender bullet bass with really low ouput pickups and the rest of it is the pv foundation.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5654365&q=hi

• Members

thanks man.

as it sits right now the fender side is set up just like an old fender (no master volume) and i don't have any recording pres hooked up to back the volume down. here's the pre cranked as high as i could get it without overdriving my soundcard (on about 8 or so). it does get a bit more distorted and a master volume could be put on it pretty easily (as well as upping the gain in the circuit). i'm thinking that the other channel will be the more distorted of the 2 so i've got this one dialed in to be a little more polite.

the first bit is a fender bullet bass with really low ouput pickups and the rest of it is the pv foundation.

That foundation sounds awesome!

• Members

progress for the 11th:
today i did fun stuff. i put in a bright switch and a boost switch for the fender side of the pre.
front811.jpg

i also went back and cleaned and tightened the power section up. everything got moved back about an inch and a half so now i've got plenty of room on the front panel for the other channel of the pre.
power811.jpg

i also dropped in a power indicator and power switch
light811.jpg

the boost switch that i added adds tons of everything.the pre now has enough output that it should be able to blow up the front end of whatever you plug it into.
here's a short little clip of me noodling with the foundation and tweaking on the controls on the front panel of the amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5656997&q=hi

if i do anything else to this side it will be adding a master volume. i'm thinking that the other side of the pre will be better for the higher gain stuff.so, i'm gonna hold off putting anything else in the signal chain on this side untill the other is done.

• Members

this is so damn clean too. what about a kustom styled pre amp?

i'd like to do one in a rack format soon.i'll have to sit down and design a power supply and board layout.it'll be WORK. i'm hoping i can get copies of all of the tuck n roll schematics.it would make it way easier.

Archived