diy tube preamp build thread.

Guttermouth

• Members

i decided a while back that i was gonna build myself a bass tube pre for direct recording and being as this is kind of a bass forum i thought some of you guys might enjoy it.

i got in all the parts about 2 weeks ago and finally got to get started yesterday. i decided since i like old fender amps i would do something similar to the alembic f1-x.

i started with a used chassis from an old programmable eq. it's pretty heavy duty and has plenty of room for tweaking so it makes a perfect candidate for what we're doin..

i spent last night laying out the physical layout of the preamp and figuring out what would go where. while i was in the middle of that i decided since i had a transformer with enough juice to run 6 tubes or so i would do a 2 channel pre and have the other side be the first stage and eq of the ampeg b-15 n ( with 6sl7 and baxandall tone stack). i figured out where everything was going and started building the power supply/ hv filtering sections.

this morning i woke up, grabbed some espresso, finished up the power supply (except for a cap that i don't have in stock) and machined out the rest of the chassis for the fender side and the power section:

preamppowersupply.jpg

i mounted the socket for the 12 ax7 for the fender side as well as the pots and input jack and started installing the hardware to mount the turret board on :

preampmounts.jpg

here's the board in the pre ready to be populated:

preboardmounted.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the board is a turretboard that i've had around the shop for a while that is drilled and staked for a marshall 18 watt amp.the board was just too cool not to use and will give me plenty of extra space to tweak components for both sides of the pre on.

here's a little mocked up shot of what the front of the fender side of the pre will look like:

prefrontlayout.jpg

as of right now that's where i'm at.i'm hoping to finish the fender side up tommorrow and have to order some parts for the ampeg side so it should be finished up next week or so.

more pics to come as the work progresses....

• Members

Who's a clever boy then?
:p
Looks good.

I, for one, will be interested to hear how this thing sounds when you are done.
:thu:

haha.

thanks man

judging by the parts i've got planned out for it i think it will be killer.i'm gonna do both sides correct to the components that the manufacturers used ( orange drops on the fender side and i got ahold of some cornell dubilier tone caps for the ampeg side). should be neat :thu:

• Members

I like the dual preamp design - you couldn't pick two better. I really like the small light.

i figured most of the work is in the power section and i'll have enough juice left over to run 3 or 4 preamps off this huge tranny so ..... why not???!!!

errr.... you must be seeing the empty hole for the mid pot :)my camera sucks ass and does weird things with depth.

• Moderators

I wish that one of you two, Kindness or Guttermouth, lived near me so you could build me a relatively small low-powered all tube combo amp for home practice and recording.

How handy are you? Any good local shops? I'd be happy to help you as much as I can from here with pictures and tips and answering questions. If it weren't cost prohibitive (and maybe it isn't?) I'd be happy to build and ship to you.

• Members

How handy are you? Any good local shops? I'd be happy to help you as much as I can from here with pictures and tips and answering questions. If it weren't cost prohibitive (and maybe it isn't?) I'd be happy to build and ship to you.

that would be cool if you could come up with something that uses old small bottle pentodes and got it to run off batteries.

you would have to have a {censored}load of batteries though.

• Members

I wish that one of you two, Kindness or Guttermouth, lived near me so you could build me a relatively small low-powered all tube combo amp for home practice and recording.

I'd be all over that, too.

Something like a 10-15 watt bass combo with a kickass DI. That would be sweet.

Archived