diy tube preamp build thread.

Guttermouth

• Members

Thanks for the links!

I'm going to be traveling a lot for a new job, so this will be a good time to read up.

:thu:

On the Dual Classic, am I noticing correctly that each side of the preamp will have its own input?

Are you considering channel switching, or will it be possible to blend BOTH with an A/B/Y box?

That would be cool...

no problem man - there's enough reading at those links to keep you busy for a while.

as far as the preamp goes, the idea was to have two separate signal paths with jumpable inputs so you can plug into one side and get signal out of both at the same time or send the signal through one channel only if needed.that way you can record each "amp" to it's own channel or send each to it's own side of a stereo poweramp/ cab setup.it can also be used as a dual channel mono pre with the addition of an a/b/y box on the output.the output is line level so you could set one channel up for clean and one for dirt and switch between the two with the a/b/y box.

i laid the design out geared more for studio use and felt the independent signal paths would give the user the most versatility but, i've been playing through it for the last day or so through a stereo poweramp 410/212 setup and it will be a KILLER live pre as well.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so i finished this thing up this week and have been tweaking on the ampeg side trying to get it useable.

as it sits right now i've tweaked everything that can be tweaked on that channel and am not happy with it at all.

the ampeg channel has a 6sl7 tube in it and the b15 tone stack is really lossy so that channel is just anemic sounding compared to the fender side.

i'm still trying to figure out what to replace the ampeg side with at the moment but, i did record a little clip for you guys to hear.

the fender channel is on the left and the ampeg side is on the right :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5709832&q=hi

Archived