diy tube preamp build thread.

Guttermouth

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

your work looks great. you are keeping my electronics bug buzzing.

thanks man.

go ahead and build you one.the voltages are relatively low (in the grand scheme of things) and the only hard thing so far was getting the power supply kinks worked out and tracking down the mistakes in the schematic.other than that it's been a pretty straightforward build.

• Members

update for the 16th:

got in a couple of things for the b-15 side of the pre today.

knobs :

knobs.jpg

paper in oil cap for the tonestack. these are new production and supposed to sound similar to the old astrons that ampeg used.these are INSANELY expensive for a cap (this one was $3.50 dealer cost):

tonecap.jpg

i also ordered the tube but my distributor sent the wrong one. i just got off the phone with em and the correct one should be here tuesday.

i know i've been slacking on getting this thing done but i had to build a new workbench:

newbench.jpg

now if i'm playing music i can shut the door and not have to look at all the work i should be doing :)

and a new recording desk:

newdesk.jpg

i should have it done by the end of the week (as well as having all my recording stuff set up) so i'll be able to do up a couple of proper clips.

• Members

update for aug 21st.

the preamp has been christened the "dual classic" :)

as of today i got the parts in to finish up the ampeg side.so to start off i sat down and came up with a rough circuit layout:

layout.jpg

this side of the pre will have a baxandall tone stack just like the b-18n (the tonestack follows both gain stages) and will have an added master volume so it will get nice and grindy without blowing the poweramp or board up.

i measured for the pots and tube socket, drilled em out and mounted everything up :

potsmounted.jpg

frontstart.jpg

tubes.jpg

6slsocketmounted.jpg

after that i started populating that side of the board with components and got to soldering. again i used n.o.s wire and sprague caps.i also wired in the high voltage connection for the second channel.

this is where it is now :

boarddone.jpg

all i have left to do is put in a ground or two ,wire up the tonestack which. will be completely mounted on the pots, put in the master volume and a couple of small secret sauce tricks :) and she'll be ready to test.

so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask and i'll do what i can to answer 'em.

• Members

I still vote for GutterGrit.
:p

Killer stuff, man. I can't wait for the recording update.
:)

haha

i appreciate the idea man but, since the pre has a dc heater setup and dual classic abbreviated is dc i just figured it was meant to be :)

seriously though - i've got some clips in the works at the moment and will do up a couple more when it's done (hopefully tommorrow afternoon:cool:)

• Members

so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask and i'll do what i can to answer 'em.

OK...so what are all those different-colored thingys the wires are attached to?

I keeeed, I keeeeed!

No, really, what are they?!!!

:D

Nice work, by the way!

:thu:

• Members

thanks man
those different colored things would be caps and resistors.for example, the orange things you see on the board are caps :

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/capacitor.htm

and the smaller striped things are resistors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

You see? That's where I'd get into trouble!

I assumed the blue thingys were caps based on their size. :)

Do you have any suggestions on an amp building primer?

For now I'm not concerned about in-depth physics or tone theory, just the basics of what parts do what, what not to touch, what's the difference between a power transformer and an output transformer, etc.

Thanks!

• Members

You see? That's where I'd get into trouble!

I assumed the blue thingys were caps based on their size.

Do you have any suggestions on an amp building primer?

For now I'm not concerned about in-depth physics or tone theory, just the basics of what parts do what, what not to touch, what's the difference between a power transformer and an output transformer, etc.

Thanks!

the best advice i can give you is to read every tube amp book you can get your hands on.

i would start with these:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Service-Your-Own-Tube/dp/0962817007/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6612616-8116042?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187802694&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Tube-Amp-Talk-Guitarist-Tech/dp/0964106019/ref=pd_sim_b_4/002-6612616-8116042?ie=UTF8&qid=1187802694&sr=8-1

basicly any book that explains tube theory is a good bet.

if you've got a tech in the town where you live that still works on tube stuff go hang out with him.alot of the guys that work on tube equipment would be happy to let you hang out around their shop and teach you stuff.there's not a whole lot of the old timers ( the guys that got to take college courses on tube theory) left and if you're lucky enough to have one still working in your town -go make friends with him.

then when you feel a bit more comfortable with the whole process buy an easy kit or two.the guytronix stuff is a good place to start and they have well written documentation and a couple of good beginner's books you can get that wil help you along the way:

http://www.guytronix.com/newampbooks.html

tube theory isn't rock science but there's ALOT of misinformation out there on the interwebz so getting a good book from a reputable tube guy from the start will make the learning curve easier :thu:

• Members

Looks real nice. I learned electronics back in the tube age. Disabled now , don't know if I would have the patience anymore. Any ideas on possible pricing?

not exactly sure yet. i still have to sit down and find reliable suppliers for everything as well as come up with parts costs.let's just say that it will be as competitively priced as humanly possible.:)

• Members

Thanks for the links!

I'm going to be traveling a lot for a new job, so this will be a good time to read up.

On the Dual Classic, am I noticing correctly that each side of the preamp will have its own input?

Are you considering channel switching, or will it be possible to blend BOTH with an A/B/Y box?

That would be cool...

Archived