diy tube preamp build thread.

Guttermouth

• Members

Hey Guttermouth, we might have a small business opportunity here.
;)

i think you may be right. you know what would be killer? have you ever heard 6v6's running fixed bias? they sound kind of like a smaller 6l6.

if we tied the b15n pre to a ss rectifed 6v6 push pull output with a jensen d.i.

we could do baby b15's and baby blackfaces with a good di.either would make a killer practice/ recording amp.

:idea:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'll have to build myself one, let all the Chicago peeps try it out and if it sounds as good as it should...

I actually have heard a 6V6 and know exactly what you are talking about.

Seriously, two channel (Fender/Ampeg), smallish tube output section, nice d.i. I bet we could sell a few. I bet we could sell the pre and the amp separately. I'd guess there would be "lots" of interest on the pre and some interest on the amp.

• Members

I'll have to build myself one, let all the Chicago peeps try it out and if it sounds as good as it should...

Seriously, two channel (Fender/Ampeg), smallish tube output section, nice d.i. I bet we could sell a few. I bet we could sell the pre and the amp separately. I'd guess there would be "lots" of interest on the pre and some interest on the amp.

that's what i'm thinking.at least on paper it sounds pretty killer.

if we could get maybe 20 ish watts out of it feeding a single 10 or 12. have the d.i. tap off the preamp for silent recording and get a nice linear output (hmm... maybe single ended kt88 or 6550??)

• Moderators

Let the bassists pick their own speaker cabinets. A lot of people wouldn't need anything more than the pre and others would want something more than a 10" or 12". Two 6L6s into any bass cab can be more than enough for a practice amp. I assume one 6550 would do just as well. Making it a combo just drives the price up and the people away.

• Members

The fret work one should be up in a few minutes.

I just cleaned out my PM box and found a bunch of info you gave me for a trip I took to Chicago. Thanks for being so helpful.

And no thanks at all for being such an ass and showing me a bunch of links to DIY amps. Now I'm so full of GAS I'm going to explode.

Do these kits come with instructions/OR/If I can solder, can I make an amp? What problems would I run into?

Thanks again.

Yo.

• Moderators

Most kits don't come with instructions. Some do. The process itself is not complicated. The skills needed are pretty simple. However, your first build is a totally foreign experience so it really helps to have someone there to help.

You and I could build on over a weekend if you came to Chicago for a visit. I have a spare room and bed and you'd leave with a fully functional amp. :)

• Members

You and I could build on over a weekend if you came to Chicago for a visit. I have a spare room and bed and you'd leave with a fully functional amp.
:)

*Explodes*

That would be awesome. I would love to learn the in's and out's of this stuff and have a functional tube amp (my two are dead for one reason or another and I have no idea why...)

Unfortunately, I really don't need an amp or can afford the grand to make a 100/50 watt Marshall copy.

Thanks for the offer, though.

Yo.

• Members

that's what i'm thinking.at least on paper it sounds pretty killer.

if we could get maybe 20 ish watts out of it feeding a single 10 or 12. have the d.i. tap off the preamp for silent recording and get a nice linear output (hmm... maybe single ended kt88 or 6550??)

Better still, how about a small amp with a Redbox-style DI that feeds off the speaker terminal and has a built-in power soak? :idea:

Instant tube recording goodness for 2 a.m.!

• Members

Alright, beginning to see something I'd buy here.

1. Small tube-pre, tube power amp.

2. Pre-amp section would have 2 or 3 12AX7s.

3. Gain control on input channel (with clipping indicator?)

4. EQ controls: low/lo-mid/hi-mid/high

5. Transformer balanced DI + speaker simulator, like H&K Redbox. Heck, why not rip apart a Redbox and solder that in.

6. Small power section. Perhaps a pair of EL84s, like the Mesa 20/20 power amp.

7. Built-in power soak to get power tube saturation at very low or zero volume

8. Big heatsink to accomodate for said powersoak and power section. And. To make it look butch and manly ;)

9. Connectors:

-jack in for instruments,

-XLR in to use as a general tube pre-amp and DI box.,

-XLR DI out (post power stage) + switchable speaker sim + EQ pre-post switch,

-XLR DI out (pre power stage) + switchable speaker sim + EQ pre-post switch,

-Jack speaker out

-Possibly effects loop?

Man, I have a lot of wishes :freak:

• Moderators

I don't believe in Jesus. I don't believe in reincarnation. I've lost lots of bets, but most of them make me do goofy things, not act nice. I would like to win some bets by being nice, but no one ever takes me up on those. I get paid as a lawyer, which I believe is typically the exact opposite of being nice. I have made some deals with CIA people, but they are usually things like "I'll pick up the tab for dinner tonight, but you pay for the cab." I actually am under a court order to be nice, but not to you. As far as I know, the court wouldn't care if I was a complete bastard to you. I just know that there are things I do that I enjoy that also benefit other people. I've also learned first hand that when the {censored} hits the fan, I have an army of friends that will stand with me against the ugliest of foes.

Did you see my thread directed at you and your Yo a few weeks ago? If not, search for it. The thread title had your name in it.

• Members

update for aug 8:

since the last installment (yesterday??) this is what i've done.

1) finished all the connections on the tube socket.

tubeconnections.jpg

2)finished up the filtering section for the high voltage.

power.jpg

i've been talking with a buddy who has a little more experience with stand alone preamps and since this unit is gonna be used in close proximity to other rf generating devices i'm gonna change the rectification for the hv over to a full wave bridge rectifier. it should cut down the noise considerably over the half wave rectifier used in the alembic and give me a more stable power supply for the whole pre.

3) finished installing the pots and input jack as well as installing the plate resistors on the board.

full.jpg

4) i also finished up the dc circuit for the tube heaters. this should cut down on the noise in the whole preamp as well.

the agenda for tommorrow is :

get a new rectifier for the hv and install it as well as wiring the tone stack.i have a couple of more grounds to install and then after that it'll be time to fire the fender side up ,check voltages and give everything a run through and make sure it's working!!!

• Members

I'd buy it depending on price and cost of shipping. It probably wouldn't kill me. At least not if it was shipped from one private person to another. If it was sent from a business with a price on the package customs and taxes would kill me.

I'd want the whole package too.

And in that case it'd be great if it was only a head actually. Shipping will kill me less that way.

• Members

update for the 9th:

as of right now the fender side of the pre is 1 cap away from being done.it's an oddball value cap for the hv circuit that i didn't know i was gonna need. hopefully i can find it locally tommorrow and fire her up.

today i wired the tonestack up. it's a completely stock showman/ twin tonestack. the tone caps are all fender caps and the wire is period correct (for a blackface) n.o.s wax coated,cloth covered 16 gauge stranded.

tonestackdone.jpg

i also finished up the heater circuit as well as the hv circuit ( with the exception of the cap i was talking about). i put in a full wave self contained bridge rectifier for the high voltage line as well.

heatershvdone.jpg

i also mounted the knobs. they are blackface fender knobs from about 1966 or so.:

frontalmostdone.jpg

so as of right now i gotta find a 10,000 mf 100 volt cap and install it and it'll be testing time.

a little off topic but i also got this in the mail today:

newmeter.jpg

i know, i know, a meter -woohoo:rolleyes:

well for years now i've been using a p.o.s. meter and it finally died about 3 weeks ago. flukes are the freaking cadillac of the meter world as far as i'm concerned and it's really nice to have a meter that shows actual voltages so i don't have to do so much "ballparking" and "guessing" on repairs now.

at any rate i'm itching to get this thing done because i got a new mixer this week and the pre's should be a bit of an upgrade from what i've been workin' with:

boardgood.jpg

so the clips of the pre should sound GOOD..... :thu::love:

Archived