Are Warwick basses really worth the cash?

NeonVomit

• Members

i just sold my MM SR5 to get a thumb BO 5. i absolutely love it. it has a vicious sound to it. aggressive as hell. definately worth the $ for me but alot of people dont care for the tone so its really up to you and your ears and fingers

• Members

Thumb basses suck very badly. Very uncomfortable instruments, unbalanced, no lows and way, way overpriced.

Some other Warwicks are pretty sweet deals though. Streamer, $$, even though they're far from being as good as they used to be. Early 90s Warwicks were gems. These days they're average.

I'd still take a BTB any day.

• Members

Thumb basses suck very badly. Very uncomfortable instruments, unbalanced, no lows and way, way overpriced.

Some other Warwicks are pretty sweet deals though. Streamer, $$, even though they're far from being as good as they used to be. Early 90s Warwicks were gems. These days they're average.

You must have played a different one than the two I own - then again, mine are swamp ash bodies with poplar caps and maple necks with ebony stringers and an ebony fingerboard; no balance issues to speak of and the 4 string weighs under 8 pounds. WRT tonality, mine easily has as much lows as the Stingray HH. At $1800US for the 4 string and $1900US for the 5 string, I have no complaints - my Stingray was only $400 cheaper and the workmanship on the Warwicks is at a minimum equal and IMO better.

• Members

Nothing sounds like a Warwick. If you like the way it plays and sounds, that is the bass you need to get. Period. I personally love Warwicks, but their playability doesn't speak to me.

Dan

I tried a couple out. I thought they were very playable but quite heavy. I liked the adjustable nut. I liked the neck. I wasn't thrilled with the tone, though, but it could have been I didn't play one long enough.

• Members

NO LOWS!?!?!? UNBALANCED?!?!?

Sir, you do not know what your talking about!

• Members

Early 90s Warwicks were gems. These days they're average.

I'll agree to that. My Warwick is a '96, when they still had the brass adjust-a-nut and everything had full wenge necks. I bought a '99 Streamer Pro-M a couple years back that had an ovankol neck and that graphite nut, and was just "meh" on it.

• Members
I'll agree to that. My Warwick is a '96, when they still had the brass adjust-a-nut and everything had full wenge necks. I bought a '99 Streamer Pro-M a couple years back that had an ovankol neck and that graphite nut, and was just "meh" on it.

my thumb is the same... recessed straplocks, the whole bit. I'd agree it's bad for lows... The bass knob is at 11 at all times when I play.

• Members

In Europe I reckon they're competitavely priced, in North America I wouldn't pay what they charge

I wouldn't pay list/street price on any new warwick. If we are talking about used, then it depends on the axe. Myself I just got a '93 Fortress at a steal price and I am happy with the deal but I wouldn't pay much more for it.

• Members

Once again, the correct answer is if it feels good to you, and sounds good to you, then it is worth the money. Warwicks don't sound or feel good to me, so for ME.....they aren't.

Everyone's different, and if a Warwick will inspire you to play, go for it!

Yup...

- georgestrings

• Members

i tried thumb bo 5-i didnt like it at all...i also tried infinity nt 5-love it.

i tried streamer jazzman 5-liked it but not very impresed...

now i have streamer lx 5 from 98 with wenge neck-love it.

why i mentioned wenge neck? because for my taste feel is much better than with ovankol...

i think every instrument should be checked before purchasing...and i know that this is sometimes almost imposible...

and also one thing with warwicks and their neck...i have small hands and have no problem with neck dimensions...but;a week after i bought mine warwick we had this show for our label and i think they tought that open air concert with stage without roof would be realy cool...what happened...the rain started just in the begining of our set...so we played 3 songs in rain. in the begining it was only few raindrops but enough that wax from neck and water from raindrops began to melt into kind of sticky mess...with every raindrop it was harder to play...i was realy pissend...no dimamics on my playing, mistakes...after 2 songs rain startet to rain harder and harder so after third song the show was moved into concertroom 30m from that stage...

anyhow. i dont think that there is possible risk because of sweat from hands...just be aware while drinking beer-don't drop it on bass; your bass won't like it;)

Archived