Are Warwick basses really worth the cash?

NeonVomit

• Members

I think Warwicks are cool, but I can't stand the way their necks feel. They fell so slow and sluggish to me. I'd still like to try out a few different models, and I wouldn't mind having one sometime in my life, but for right now...not worth it IMO. If I found a used one, it might be a different story.

• Members

I got a Corvette Standard fretless, perfect mint condition, on Ebay for $400 + shipping a couple years ago.

I think Warwicks are cool, but I can't stand the way their necks feel.

I don't like the feel of their fretted necks either, but the fretless is absolutely stellar. And you get that Warwick tone. Worth every penny I paid.

• Members

personally, i think Warwick's tone is superior to Ibanez tone. The necks are a bit thick, but its more wood for the tone to resonate from. Worth the cash? gotta ask yourself if you would rather have a bass that you know and love or a bass that could be better for you but might cost a years worth of sperm bank donations. Its all about personal preference, but i would go with the warwick any day.

• Members

Once again, the correct answer is if it feels good to you, and sounds good to you, then it is worth the money. Warwicks don't sound or feel good to me, so for ME.....they aren't.

Everyone's different, and if a Warwick will inspire you to play, go for it!

• Members

personally, i think Warwick's tone is superior to Ibanez tone. The necks are a bit thick, but its more wood for the tone to resonate from. Worth the cash? gotta ask yourself if you would rather have a bass that you know and love or a bass that could be better for you but might cost a years worth of sperm bank donations. Its all about personal preference, but i would go with the warwick any day.

Yeah, the money isn't too huge an issue.

• Members

I'm honestly torn straight down the middle. The Thumb sounds awesome, but personally I like your exact BTB's tone perfectly (yours has Barts in it, right?)

price points aside, each bass is a beast and they each have their own sound. Its up to you as to whether you want to change

• Members

Once again, the correct answer is if it feels good to you, and sounds good to you, then it is worth the money. Warwicks don't sound or feel good to me, so for ME.....they aren't.

Everyone's different, and if a Warwick will inspire you to play, go for it!

do you think you could pick the Spector on a blind test with a lawsuit era Streamer?

• Members

It's a matter of personal taste of course.... but in my mind there is no comparison between any POS Ibanez and any given Warwick. Is it worth twice the money? Probably four or five times.....

Depends on the Ibanez really. I personally think my Ibby is as good as just about any Warwick...although the Warwicks are a bit more responsive than my Ibby.

Dan

• Members

I love the way Warwicks sound, and nothing else sounds like them. So I would say yes they are worth it, because they are certainly well-built, high-quality instruments with a unique and desirable tone to a lot of people. Now, would I pay that much for a Warwick? No way Jose! Mostly because of playability and I can't get a tone that satisfies me on one. I like how they sound when other people play them (Zender, Inez, etc), but I can't get that tone on a Warwick or any other tone I like for that matter. And I think there are other basses out there that are nicer for the same amount of money.

• Members

I'm with BassGeek: If it REALLY suits you, do it. If not, don't.

Warwicks typically just sound different (aside from the maple-based models like the Streamer 1's) in general due to the denser, African based hardwoods so many used in their build recipes. While I think you can go quite crazy trying to figure out how to 'tune' a tone via the woods, in general the white woods (maples, ashes, alders) will have more mid and high-end 'quack' and higher fundamentals. The all African recipes axes (most Warwicks, the 1000- and 1200- series Ibanez SoundGears,) tend to push deeper fundamentals and low mids, skip the quack in the upper mids and usually have a little click on the very high end. This plus their different take on pickup placement, the bell brass frets, etc., tend to make Warwicks a bit more unique than a lot of basses. Of course too, the all African woods can make them noticeably heavier at times.

So I'd certainly expect the Warwick and your BTB to sound noticeably different. It's really your choice. Usually for high end production or artisan basses, (barely) used can save you a fortune over new.

But ultimately, it's really up to you and your ears and the sound in your head you're chasing.

• Members

The BTB is actually marginally heavier than the Thumb :D So the weight issue isn't too big.

Thing is, the BTB has a pretty fast neck and I do quite a bit of work in the upper registers. I think I need to try the Thumb out again, but the one at the store had a horrible setup and the strings were awful, so I can't really judge on that one. It was all dusty and neglected too... let's just say I'll be getting it off the internet and not buying it from there.

That's the problem with some stores, they just don't look after their stock. The sole Warwick dealer in Cyprus is a complete asshole who is mean to the customers. So, like, up yours man, I'm getting off the internet.

Anyway. With a good, low setup and a set of Elixirs on, can the Thumb really work for that kind of thing?

• Members

I've never found they were worth the price tags put on the instruments. Some people are willing to pay the cash, and I can see why though. They've got a distinct sound and feel to them in my opinion, and they are good basses. If you play one, like it, and could see a real world application for the bass in your musical settings, I suppose that's enough reason for a player to justify having any bass.

• Members

I guess. I'm actually trying to figure out if it's possible to keep the Ibby and save up a bit longer to get the Warwick... I really like my BTB. And the difference between the two is big enough to justify owning both. Plus, a backup would never do any harm.

Anyway, thanks for the help as always guys! HCBF ftw!

Archived