Wikipedia Should be Banned

Apendecto

• Members

Hypertext surely helped it but it's not very different from what happens when you open a dictionary.

I think hypertext is really the tipping point. Most people can avoid the pull of the endless cycle of a bound encyclopedia, but I don't know anyone who can mute the siren's call of the wikipedia. It just makes it so effortless to keep going, where paper books require you to put forth some time into finding the next articles. Books don't let you have tabs, either, which only aggrivates the "problem". :D

• Members

Nice to know that I'm not the only Wikiaddict out there :D

If I'm bored I'll click on the 'random page' function twice, and try to navigate from one to the other only by using hyperlinks within the articles. It's really amazing what I've learnt doing this. And how many hours it has wasted.

The hardest one to navigate to was, I recall, 'bingo wings'!

• Members

Hypertext surely helped it but it's not very different from what happens when you open a dictionary.

It's all about laziness. Also wikipedia is up to the minute. You're not going to find articles on Danny Carrey from Tool or Shaun of the Dead in a dictionary/encyclopedia.

Yo.

• Members

Nice to know that I'm not the only Wikiaddict out there
:D
If I'm bored I'll click on the 'random page' function twice, and try to navigate from one to the other only by using hyperlinks within the articles. It's really amazing what I've learnt doing this. And how many hours it has wasted.

The hardest one to navigate to was, I recall, 'bingo wings'!

I figured I'd give this a shot since I'm bored at work, and I got "Llandaff North" (part of the capital city of Wales) and "I Yabba-Dabba Do!" (a made-for-TV Scooby-Doo movie) as my two articles. Good luck with that one! Love to see you post a sequence to get those two connected.

• Members

I agree it should be banned, but for different reasons.

It started out noble enough, but has become pretty corrupt. They have a whole bunch of rules and guidelines which look very good on the surface. But everything that gets posted or not has to be done on the basis of "consensus" of the "editors." Interestingly enough, they have a rule that says "ignore all the rules" whenever they wish to. They also have this thing called a "reward board" where outside parties basically give editors kickbacks to skew "consensus" in their favour. If it wasn't publically funded - i.e. a non-profit organization and all the tax implications that goes along with that status - it wouldn't be a problem. As it is they have become, IMO, a platform for big money and power to skew information as they see fit.

• Members

I agree it should be banned, but for different reasons.

It started out noble enough, but has become pretty corrupt. They have a whole bunch of rules and guidelines which look very good on the surface. But everything that gets posted or not has to be done on the basis of "consensus" of the "editors." Interestingly enough, they have a rule that says "ignore all the rules" whenever they wish to. They also have this thing called a "reward board" where outside parties basically give editors kickbacks to skew "consensus" in their favour. If it wasn't publically funded - i.e. a non-profit organization and all the tax implications that goes along with that status - it wouldn't be a problem. As it is they have become, IMO, a platform for big money and power to skew information as they see fit.

Fair enough. In your opinion, which direction do you feel like the information is being skewed, and in who's favor?

C7

• Members

Fair enough. In your opinion, which direction do you feel like the information is being skewed, and in who's favor?

C7

I've seen the heavy hand of "political correctness" played out in a few. It comes down to what is allowed to be an article then how it's slanted. One that comes to mind was around military aid to a mid-eastern country that will remain nameless. You really have to watch some of the "deletion" discussions to really get a handle on what's really going on.

Archived