Playing with fingers over a pick...how to adjust??

Noise...

• Members

I started bass lessons today. One of the first things the teacher said to do was to ditch the pick and learn to play with my fingers instead. Now, I've always played with a pick on guitar - even acoustic, and naturally started bass with a pick.

So, how do I adjust to using just my fingers? Is there a trick to make it easier?

Anyone have some tips?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Practice. But I'm not a fan of your teacher telling you what you should use.

Yo.

Yeah...He's fine with me using a pick, but he wants me to learn to play with my fingers before I go any further with the pick. Is there really any advantage to using fingers over a pick? I'm getting good with a pick - even with string skipping, but switching over to fingers on a dime has thrown me of completely.

Basically, I can synchronize my right and left hand perfectly with a pick, but switching to fingers has made it harder to keep my left hand accurate.

• Members

It's a good idea to learn both styles. I find finger style much more versatile. I can vary the tone, attack and play faster finger style. I usually have a pick handy for the songs that call for it.

not to argue, but what songs call for it?

• Members

So, how do I adjust to using just my fingers? Is there a trick to make it easier?

Anyone have some tips?

No tricks. Just play.

You will start to hurt. Blisters will form. It'll take a while, but ultimately you'll have amazing calluses on your fingertips. Your teacher will give you good exercises to do. ;)

• Members

Alright guys. I'll get to work then...I've got a lot of practicing to do so that I can get good at it by my next lesson.

The teacher gave me a few exercises as well. The same kind I used for alternate picking when I was learning guitar, so I know them well. Now it's just a matter of actually being able to do them smoothly on bass.

:thu:

• Members

It will just take time and plenty of practise.

It will be good to learn with fingers as well as pick to give you some different tones. Also if you plan on learning some slap, then you will need to ditch the pick.

You'll have no skin on your fingers for a while but it will be worth it in the end.

• Members

not to argue, but what songs call for it?

We do Jenny Jenny and it sounds better with a pick.

also, Gimme Three Steps kinda needs that zing...

Shakin'... Two Tickets to Pardise....

I think that is the list of songs I use a pick on, I've gone nights without a pick, and I've played full nights with a pick (burned my right-hand index finger..).....

• Members

You just have to decide that you want to connect with the instrument fully, meaning nothing coming between you and your bass(re. pick).

For me, the draw to bass guitar was that connection. I've never understood why players would want to use pics outside of occasionally getting that pick sound.

• Members

You just have to decide that you want to connect with the instrument fully, meaning nothing coming between you and your bass(re. pick).

For me, the draw to bass guitar was that connection. I've never understood why players would want to use pics outside of
occasionally
getting that pick sound.

a big +1

same thing that pulled me away from guitar to the low end. digging in with pointer and middle finger is where its at.

to the OP: i would work on some scales both going up and then back down with a click track first at slower speeds and then build up as your right hand gets faster.

• Members

I played with a pick exclusively for the first 3-4 years I played. Switched to fingers and now can do both. Just play a lot with fingers. Take is slowly at first as to avoid blisters on your right hand. You may be surprised on the differences in your playing with fingers vs pick.

• Members

For me, the draw to bass guitar was that connection. I've never understood why players would want to use pics outside of
occasionally
getting that pick sound.

Sorry bro, but by this same logic you'd be saying that an upright player would not be 'fully connecting' with the instrument if they were using a bow. There is no difference. Being connected means being connected to the sound and music that comes out of it, not by the method of making that sound or what tools you use in the process. A pick is a tool the same as a bow, no more no less, and it can produce a bass guitar sound that is as meaningful as anything done pure fingerstyle. Some music really screams for that pick bass guitar sound. It takes no less musicianship to play good bass with a pick or without, you're still required to play solid, grooving low end and THAT is what connecting with the instrument is all about.

• Members

occasionally
getting that pick sound.

Another big +1

I don't have a problem with other people using a pick, but I can't see the use of it myself. Fingers are faster and more accurate anyway.

• Members

Arg...I'm having a tough time with this. I practiced for a good hour last night just trying to switch between the open strings smoothly and keep a smooth sound on the string I was playing.

I basically went eight beats on each string. So, four beats for each finger. Then, I'd attempt to move to the next string (E to A to D to G then back up) and completely mess it up. Between the E and A I was doing alright, but going to the D or G would throw me off completely.

The thing that's REALLY bothering me, is that I can play with a pick. Switching to fingerstyle is just messing me up so much. I could be spending the same practice time to clean up my pick playing a bit more, and also focus on actually playing bass, rather than just trying to pluck the strings with my fingers.

How long does it really take to get good enough at fingerstyle so that I can actually PLAY the instrument?

Archived