Playing with fingers over a pick...how to adjust??

Noise...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Learn to play with index, middle, and ring if you're learning finger style fresh. Never hurts to know more about playing bass.

As to the pick, lot of songs don't sound right with a pic, and some don't sound right without it.

• Members

There is a technique I have developed over the years that I can pull out of my toolbag in which I can employ a slight fingernail clip to my finger playing when needed - it most definitely simulates a pick. For a loooong time I thought it was an odd technique because nobody ever mentioned it until I found out sometime ago that Chuck Rainey also does this when needed...Nice to know Im in good company.....:thu:

With that said, I don't use picks. Billy Sheehan once said that 'using your fingers is like having five picks'. A good setup, fresh strings, and tight concise traditional finger-playing at the bridge can get close to a pick for government work. There are very few songs that I would absolutely have to use a pick on...i.e. Duran Duran's "Planet Earth"........

• Members

Basically, I can synchronize my right and left hand perfectly with a pick, but switching to fingers has made it harder to keep my left hand accurate.

Who cares what he thinks you should do. Yeah its good to have both ways down, but its not by any means necessary.

That being said, I think finger style is better.

• Members

I went down and practiced with a metronome for about an hour just now and made a bit of progress. I still have a LONG way to go, but seeing a little improvement is encouraging...

I think it will just take time. I'm going to try to get decent at it so that my next lesson (Monday) can be more about actually playing rather than more fingerstyle practice.

Anyone have tips for preventing blisters? I'm going to be putting a lot of hours in practicing this the next few days and I don't want to have to deal with messed up fingertips...

• Members

Anyone have tips for preventing blisters? I'm going to be putting a lot of hours in practicing this the next few days and I don't want to have to deal with messed up fingertips...

I've heard superglue will work if you get blisters. It's sterile and shouldn't hurt you, at least.

• Members
Sorry bro, but by this same logic you'd be saying that an upright player would not be 'fully connecting' with the instrument if they were using a bow. There is no difference. Being connected means being connected to the sound and music that comes out of it, not by the method of making that sound or what tools you use in the process. A pick is a tool the same as a bow, no more no less, and it can produce a bass guitar sound that is as meaningful as anything done pure fingerstyle. Some music really screams for that pick bass guitar sound. It takes no less musicianship to play good bass with a pick or without, you're still required to play solid, grooving low end and THAT is what connecting with the instrument is all about.

Good points. :)
Upright came to mind, but that's another animal, really. If that's the case, however, you could say that about hand percussion over the modern drum sound. You could even say that about piano over harp. However, I meant to keep it applicable to the realm of modern electric bass. I did admit that there's only one way to get that pick sound. Personally, I switch from plucking to slapping, popping, tapping & everything in between too often in the context of a tune too often for a pick to even be considered as part of my toolkit in a live setting. I've used them in the studio "for that sound" tho. :)

• Members

You just have to decide that you want to connect with the instrument fully, meaning nothing coming between you and your bass(re. pick).

For me, the draw to bass guitar was that connection. I've never understood why players would want to use pics outside of
occasionally
getting that pick sound.

So you are saying that I don't connect with my instrument fully?? Nothing wrong with playing with fingers, but to me it is offensive to say that.

I was forced into becoming a pick player after four years as a finger style player, my wrist ended up with serious problems and playing with a pick is the only way that i can play without pain. If I have to I can manage a single easy song playing with fingers before I have to pick up a pick again.

It took me maybe a month to become proficient on pick and I am every bit as sought after as a bass player as when I only played with fingers (I have never walked away from an audition without being offered to join). I can't slap at all anymore, but that was never exactly something I was good at or used anyway.

• Members

So you are saying that I don't connect with my instrument fully?? Nothing wrong with playing with fingers, but to me it is offensive to say that.

I was forced into becoming a pick player after four years as a finger style player, my wrist ended up with serious problems and playing with a pick is the only way that i can play without pain. If I have to I can manage a single easy song playing with fingers before I have to pick up a pick again.

It took me maybe a month to become proficient on pick and I am every bit as sought after as a bass player as when I only played with fingers (I have never walked away from an audition without being offered to join). I can't slap at all anymore, but that was never exactly something I was good at or used anyway.

Is there a way that you've found to still get that smoother fingerstyle tone from a type of pick? I love the sound of fingerstyle, but I really prefer playing with a pick. Plus, I already can play with a pick.

I don't slap, or pop, and I don't plan to. And, I certainly can't afford to put a hand out of comission because of one instrument. I know, something like that probably doesn't happen to most players, but still. I play guitar, drums, and now bass as well. A wrist or hand issue would seriously mess me up. And, if I can avoid one completely by mainly playing with a pick, I'd be fine with that.

• Members

You have every right to be offended bro. :)
As I've said twice thus far, this is just my feeling on the subject based on personal experience. (there, that's 3 times now) Nothing wrong with playing w/a pick if it's what inspires you. I've heard countless killer picked bass lines. That said, I never see or hear my favorite performers use a pick...although, I'm sure they have and/or do.

• Members
Is there a way that you've found to still get that smoother fingerstyle tone from a type of pick? I love the sound of fingerstyle, but I really prefer playing with a pick. Plus, I already can play with a pick.

Which is why you prefer playing with a pick. :idea:

There's a learning curve, there's a discomfort curve...but there's no reason you can't do it if you want to. Everyone is sucky and frustrated when they start to do something new.

How good & versatile a bassist do you want to be?

• Members

Oh my God. It just...clicked when I was practicing a while ago!

:idea:

I kept on trying to do the exercises the teacher gave me to no avail. I just couldn't get it together. Then, I just started messing around. Playing a few random At the Drive-in songs. And I could do it! I played at the right speed, accurately, and I played smoothly.

Is it wrong that I'm picking it up naturally with songs over learning it with monotonous exercises that I can't play well?

Either way, I can't believe the difference in tone. I was worried that my bass was a bit too harsh, being all maple, but it was the pick causing it. With fingers it's perfectly smooth, and actually has a really nice warm tone to it.

I don't see myself playing with a pick again anytime soon...

:D

• Moderators

I don't see myself playing with a pick again anytime soon...

I go through those cycles too. Now that my playing has "matured" I find that it is completely contextually driven. In some bands I NEVER use a pick. In other bands I ALMOST NEVER use my fingers.

---

I have to give a big -1 to T. Alan and a big +1 to L-1329. Obviously there is nothing wrong with YOU not feeling connected to your instrument when using a pick (probably a sign of not spending as many years using a pick as you have playing fingerstyle), but let's not try to spread some false theory that there is some inherent disconnect when using a pick. I totally understand your personal view, I'm just want to make sure your first post isn't being misunderstood.

and a BIG +1 to DRF on general principles and being brutally handsome

• Members
-

I have to give a big -1 to T. Alan and a big +1 to L-1329. Obviously there is nothing wrong with YOU not feeling connected to your instrument when using a pick (probably a sign of not spending as many years using a pick as you have playing fingerstyle), but let's not try to spread some false theory that there is some inherent disconnect when using a pick. I totally understand your personal view, I'm just want to make sure your first post isn't being misunderstood.

and a BIG +1 to DRF on general principles and being brutally handsome

:thu:

• Members

he saw the light ! :lol:

It's just because you want to improve your level quickly. But you must let the time (and the practice) work. You will discover a new world with your fingers, because i think where you can play 10 different sounds with pick, you can play 1000 differents sounds with fingers.:cool:

• Members

I agree on this as well. I've always played guitar with a pick, and that hasn't stopped me from connecting with the instrument. It comes down to the player, and there's no set rule.

• Members
he saw the light !
:lol:

It's just because you want to improve your level quickly. But you must let the time (and the practice) work. You will discover a new world with your fingers, because i think where you can play 10 different sounds with pick, you can play 1000 differents sounds with fingers.
:cool:

Yes, I know and accept that it will still take practice. But damn did it feel good to actually play a song and play it decently without a pick.

As for the different sounds, I really can't believe the difference in tone. It's amazing. So much more thickness in the sound with fingerstyle. And, moving down to the bridge pickup (Oh yes. I learned that too. :p) sharpens it up a bit.

I know I'm just at the tip of the iceberg here, but still, it feels good to make some progress. :wave:

• Members

Aw man, there is some pick hatin' up in here. Personally I am a pick man, though I play both ways. I started with a pick because I couldn't get fingerstyle technique at all, I had all kinds of trouble with accuracy. I think I must have had some pretty weak hands when I started out, later as the muscle memory and dexterity came I figured out fingerstyle, so now I can do that too. I like both and think it's important to be able to do both competently. Obviously each approach allows different things and it really depends on what the music calls for.

That said, I like the sound of a bass to cut through the mix...which picking makes easy. You might say I'm a "pick with the tone control all the way up" guy(however please do not mistake me for someone who uses a horn in his bass cabinet). Picking gives something pretty different from the semi-muted sound of fingerstyle. Lots of zing and punch, great with a fuzzface.

• Members
Aw man, there is some pick hatin' up in here...

That said, I like the sound of a bass to cut through the mix...which picking makes easy. You might say I'm a "pick with the tone control all the way up" guy(however please do not mistake me for someone who uses a horn in his bass cabinet). Picking gives something pretty different from the semi-muted sound of fingerstyle. Lots of zing and punch, great with a fuzzface.

No pick hatin' here. At least, I never mentioned it.

When I want more zing I use stainless rounds. When I want punch, I adjust my touch thusly. ;)

...and don't be a horn hater!! :D

• Members

No tricks. Just play.

You will start to hurt. Blisters will form. It'll take a while, but ultimately you'll have amazing calluses on your fingertips. Your teacher will give you good exercises to do.
;)

This NEVER happened to me - and I play a lot.

The only time my right hand got sore was when I started playing acoustic fingerpicking with bronze 13s.

Archived