Sunn 1200

Azz301

• Members

Several people here have owned one, I'm sure they'll chime in at some point...

I own the all tube version and the preamp is very nice. I think it's the same pre and has the same tone shaping controls, but I'm not absolutely sure.

The impression I get reading other reviews is that it's a good workhorse amp that folks end up selling in search of some other tone down the road. I'd probably want to hear it in person before purchasing.

Never read any reliability complaints.

bump

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Sunn 1200s is a beast!

It's heavy, but it has power to spare and very useful footswitch controls. I loved mine, but sold it because I decided to go to a lighter rig. If you're in a situation where you need to be the 800 pound gorilla in the room, then the Sunn 1200s is the way to go.

I ran mine through a 4 ohm 2x12 and it would bury a wide open Marshall TSL Halfstack with the master at 9 o'clock.

• CMS Author

The Sunn 1200s is a beast!

It's heavy, but it has power to spare and very useful footswitch controls. I loved mine, but sold it because I decided to go to a lighter rig. If you're in a situation where you need to be the 800 pound gorilla in the room, then the Sunn 1200s is the way to go.

I ran mine through a 4 ohm 2x12 and it would bury a wide open Marshall TSL Halfstack with the master at 9 o'clock.

Heavy? The 1200s is a tiny solid state amp, but outputs 1200w. Are you talking about the all-tube 300T ?

Archived