God, Music 101 is so BORING!

der oxenrig

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
E# is not commonly used nor is there an E# Major scale therefore he is wrong. If he would have said some useless E# Phyrgian Dominant scale then there would have never been any debate from me;)

thats what I am talking about.

Except that E# does get used as Jazz Ad pointed out, and people do conceive of E# major scales. That being the case, Onkel Bob is not wrong. Your assertion is simply incorrect.

If you concede there is an E# Phrygian scale (let alone some Phrygian Dominant idea) there is no room to argue that one cannot also conceive of an E# Ionian scale. You've already conceded the existence/conceptualization of E# as a tonic. Ballgame over. Prolonging it is popcorn-worthy entertainment. :)

• Members

I recognize them and their practical applications.

the Point I am trying to make is I always (Me Personally) recognize a natural F as a natural F not E# even if the Key signature indicates an E# I recognize it as F

it is just easier for me that way.

thats all I am saying:idk:

• Members

E# major scale is a bit of an oddity. You rarely see keys with more than at most 7 sharps. E#-major would have 11 sharps. There's such a thing as an E# major scale but you'd never see it. Now a note can have two sharps only I don't how to type a double sharp here. The E# scale would go like this:

E# F## G## A# B# C## D##

You get the relative minor scale by looking at the sixth note in the major scale.

And as you see that's not D rather it is C##.

Relative minor = 6th degree of a scale

E# = F

F -> G > A > B > C > D > E > F

Relative minor is D

:D

Unless I missed something...

• Members
Music isn't the only silly major. I've worked Data Entry jobs with kids that held the following degrees:

-Sociology

-Psychology

-Marketing

-Advertising

-Literature (no education cert)

-Fine Art

-Music Business (
:rolleyes:
)

Personally, I think colleges should either ditch the Liberal Arts ripoff majors altogether, or have entirely separate colleges that specialize ONLY in degrees that don't apply to anything, and have those school be ineligible for subsidized Stafford loans and Pell Grants.
:idea:

Then again, there is the argument that a college degree is not simply for getting a job but also for getting the chance to be exposed to millions of interesting things while developing social, research, and analytical skills. My degrees are arguably "useless" but I've had no problem finding good jobs with them, even outside of my particular "field". Perhaps they are not much use for technical work, although that's not necessarily the case depending on the employer, but there are plenty of other opportunities out there.

Archived