God, Music 101 is so BORING!

der oxenrig

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Exactly- there's no such thing as an actual E# is there? E goes to F with nothing in between...
:confused:

Theoretically there can be.

If you wanted to use F in a G-major scale it'd have to be either E# or you'd have to remove the # from the F. I think you generally choose one or the other depending on the direction the melody is heading.

• Members
Exactly- there's no such thing as an actual E# is there? E goes to F with nothing in between...
:confused:

Yeah, there is, but only in theory and not practical application. In the real world, a D# scale where an E# does exist would more likely be presented as Eb scale for ease of reading and discussion.

• Members

if we are talking key signature a minor scale that would have the same sharps as "e#" major is d#.

You're wrong. Check out the E major scale in there. It's easy to compare an E# major scale to an E major scale. You just add a sharp to every note. The key of E has C# as its relative minor key. Now add a sharp to everything. The key E# has C## as its relative minor scale.

Edit: I see where you went wrong now. The key of D# major has E# as it's relative minor key.

• Members

I totally so wish I would have majored in ...something that would have had some significance in real world application. instead of this ... I would recomend making music your minor and major in something that will land you a decent career once you Graduate College.

+1.....:rolleyes:hindsight is a biznitch

• Members

You're wrong. Check out the E major scale in there. It's easy to compare an E# major scale to an E major scale. You just add a sharp to every note. The key of E has C# as its relative minor key. Now add a sharp to everything. The key E# has C## as its relative minor scale.

Edit: I see where you went wrong now. The key of D# major has E# as it's relative minor key.

how do you figure he is wrong?All of the notes played in E major scale are sharps except for the A-B and E

E# Maj scale Bbis played no other sharps or flats in E#scale.

• Members

Oh ya I forgot to mention that part

I am 45 years old still paying back student loans:rolleyes:

I feel for ya...I kinda stepped off of the music track into Early Childhood Ed. I also sold a lot of basses to cover my tuition, so I only will owe around 10k.

Is that Study Bass site your creation? It's truly well done and provides excellent info. I'ma gonna turn all the young cats I know onto it.

• Members

Ok I'll try one last time.

Let's just start with the key of C major:

C D E F G A B

now G:

G A B C D E F#

Ok now a lot more:

D E F# G A B C#

A B C# D E F# G#

E F# G# A B C# D#

B C# D# E F# G# A#

F# G# A# B C# D# E#

Now those are the ones you'd normally encounter but there are theoretically more:

C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

G# A# B# C# D# E# F##

D# E# F## G# A# B# C##

A# B# C## D# E# F## G##

And finally E# which was the subject of the question:

E# F## G## A# B# C## D##

Now. The simple part: You get to the relative minor by looking at the sixth step. In the case of C major that would be A minor. And in the case of E#, if you look at where I typed it out and count up to six, you'll see that it's C##.

• Members

See how on the circle of fifths there's a spot which has both F# and Gb on it?

E# would be where F is. They just don't write that in because no one ever uses the scale. That's not the same as it does not exist in music theory.

Did you even read any of my posts?

Edit: Made a serious error typing that I have now corrected.

• Members

Pretend I am from Missouri and Show Me.
;)
200px-Circle_of_fifths.svg.png

F#/Gb. See it? It's like that with any other scale. Any scale with sharps could be written with flats instead and the other way around. We just generally don't because reading anything written in a scale with 10+ sharps or flats in it is a bitch.

I added in all the sharp scales in this pic of the circle of fifths.

circle-of-fifths.gif

I could have gone on really but ypu'd have to use triple sharps at some point and they don't exist. At least not to my knowledge. Anyway writing a G major scale as a F## major scale is just downright silly.

• Members
F#/Gb. See it? It's like that with any other scale. Any scale with sharps could be written with flats instead and the other way around. We just generally don't because reading anything written in a scale with 10+ sharps or flats in it is a bitch.

I added in all the sharp scales in this pic of the circle of fifths.

circle-of-fifths.gif

I could have gone on really but ypu'd have to use triple sharps at some point and they don't exist. At least not to my knowledge. Anyway writing a G major scale as a F## major scale is just downright silly.

How many times have you seen F referred to as E#?
I mean lets be realistic, your so called E#Major scale is in reality F MAJ scale or an E# Phygian Dominant which is about as useful as tits on a Boar.

there is really no use for that scale whatso ever except for to bring confusion and disorder to the Circle.
watch out I am about to get all phylisophycal all over your ass.
I could be drinking too.

Archived