i play seven string bass

Bassius

• Members

How do you guys with 6+ stringers deal with amps? I would imagine not all amps are tuned very well for the low F#'s or notes up high on the C.

I'll be doing the 7-string guitar tuning as well. I get plenty done on the low B. If I strung with a low F# I wouldn't pick up the bass nearly as much.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I paid 1/10 of that for my GT7. My minute of envy is over :D

I had the privledge of playing on John Jordan's (Chris Duarte) 7 string Conklin after a show one night......absolutely the easiest playing bass I ever played. But he paid upwards of 5 grand for it so I won't be getting one like his any time soon.

• Members
I do not tap AT ALL... nor do I know any video game tunes.

This is what I do with mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YLAxRzyPpc

sunburstbasser: hell yeah, 34" scale, 19mm @ bridge, Delano pickup are not negotiable for me in a bass
:thu:

That's a seriously cool groove you've got going on there.

Random question, but is 19mm @ the bridge standard for most basses?

• Members

I'll be doing the 7-string guitar tuning as well. I get plenty done on the low B. If I strung with a low F# I wouldn't pick up the bass nearly as much.

if you tune in perfect 4ths your ease of playing sonorous chord voicings ont he bass becomes easier.

i tune B E A D G C F

• Members

In what sense is that easier than B E A D G B E? I am open to any tuning, but I am curious why you prefer perfect 4ths.

I would think it makes it easier in that it's the same up/down/backwards/sideways/etc... a G major scale is the same shape at the 17th fret as is it is at the 3rd fret.

• Moderators

I would think it makes it easier in that it's the same up/down/backwards/sideways/etc... a G major scale is the same shape at the 17th fret as is it is at the 3rd fret.

Good point and I totally get it for scale shapes, but chording is another matter entirely. I guess I'm wondering if Bassius finds the actual chord shapes easier to play.

• Members

Agreed. I played a Conk Groove Tools 7 once at GC and ate it up. Didn't want to put it down!

Yeah, the Conklin Groove Tools 7 stringer is a great buy. It has the feel of more expensive basses but is friendlier on the wallet (though still a bit spendy at over a grand). I don't know of any other affordable seven stringers that can touch it.

• Members

Yeah, the Conklin Groove Tools 7 stringer is a great buy. It has the feel of more expensive basses but is friendlier on the wallet (though still a bit spendy at over a grand). I don't know of any other affordable seven stringers that can touch it.

Well I have the Bill Dickens Sig on the way as posted earlier in the thread.

I'll be experimenting with the tunings immediately. :)

People at church are gonna flip out- can't wait!

• Members

thanks for the kind words guys... most ERB have tighter spacing than mine. I like going from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 and having the same string to string gap.

I wanted to extend my range and also step out front back in the 80s doing power trio stuff... I took guitar lessons to teach myself the style of bass no one in my hick town could grasp. in 1990 when I ordered my first 5 string, I ordered it with a high B... like a guitar missing it's high E.

My "mostly non chorded" fretless 6 has a high C for linearness of scales... but to my mind frets = guitar tuning.

Archived