NFL

RIC N BACKER

• Members

I don't buy that racial slur thing about mascots.

You don't pick something/someone that you want to demean or make fun of as your mascot, you pick something/someone that you admire, want to be more like, or embodies your desired attributes for your team.

• Members

Chris Rock compared having a football team named the Redskins to changing the name of the Yankees to the New York N******. I laughed, then I thought. He is right.

Actually, I wouldn't say they call themselves the Redskins because the view as noble, valiant and worth of admiration. They want a name that is fearsome, especially in football, something to strike fear in the heart of the opponents. A racist, and ill-informed view of native Americans, which was common on the 30s when the Redskins team was formed, is why they chose their name. I wouldn't say the PC police have gone too far with this complaint, although the cat's been out of that bag for so long that the name has pretty much lost its meaning anyways. I usually don't agree with the PC folks, but blatant racism is pretty hard to ignore.

In any case, they are throwbacks. I'm sure we'll the old ones next week. But, nothing, I mean, NOTHING I've ever seen on a football field is uglier than the throwback unis that Philly was wearing today. YUK!

• Members

I don't buy that racial slur thing about mascots.

You don't pick something/someone that you want to demean or make fun of as your mascot, you pick something/someone that you admire, want to be more like, or embodies your desired attributes for your team.

Yeah, because this looks like a noble depiction of an object of admiration:

I mean, with a name like "Chief Wahoo", how could it be anything other than dignified...:rolleyes:

ALC-CLE-Logo.png

• Members

Personally, along with all Indian/Redskin/Sioux/Illini/other Native American Stereotypes, we should also rid sports of all other racial/social group mascots such as The Fighting Irish, Vikings, Cowboys, Senators, etc.

They've already gotten rid of the Illini mascot.

Not only are people of Irish descent not offended by the Notre Dame mascot, they're among the biggest supporters of the School.

Terms that refer to specific ethnic groups are not offensive in and of themselves. For instance, the Florida State Seminoles have the support of the Seminole tribe and consult with the tribe to make sure their mascot is accurate to their traditions.

As for your other 'examples':

The Vikings are all dead and have been for hundreds of years (and it's not a slur, so it's not a valid analogy).

Cowboys is neither an ethnic nor social term (much less a slur), so you're grasping at straws there.

And there hasn't been a US team named the Senators in 35 years (and of course it's neither an ethnic nor social term, much less a slur).

Nice try on all of those though :thu:

• Members

Not only are people of Irish descent not offended by the Notre Dame mascot, they're among the biggest supporters of the School.

Terms that refer to specific ethnic groups are not offensive in and of themselves. For instance, the Florida State Seminoles have the support of the Seminole tribe and consult with the tribe to make sure their mascot is accurate to their traditions.

The Vikings are all dead and have been for hundreds of years (and it's not a slur, so it's not a valid analogy).

Cowboys is neither an ethnic nor social term (much less a slur), so you're grasping at straws there.

And there hasn't been a US team named the Senators in 35 years (and of course it's neither an ethnic nor social term, much less a slur).

Nice try on all of those though
:thu:

What about the Bears?

Bears: fetish reference to hairy gay men.

It fits other homoerotic aspects of the game: batted balls, penetration, passes, lining up underneath the center, huddle. Mmmmmm!!

Why are there ****backs and ****backers?

it's a thinly-veiled homage to barebacking. Again:

Bare ---> Bear ---> fuzzy gay man.

Nothing is wrong with any of that, but wait until the Bears unite to have that offensive mascot nixed.

• Members

Nice try on all of those though
:thu:

I guess I was unaware that they had already changed the Illini mascot. The only one that is reported in any depth around here is the UND Fighting Sioux. In general, I'm still a proponent of getting rid of all human mascots, although my real reasoning is simply that I think they are dumb mascots . . . all of them. I'm not in the least bit offended.

Also, how are Cowboys and Senators not social groups? They each refer to a group of people with specific characteristics. Is there a better term I could have used? (I'm just trying to hone my 'no human mascots because they are all dumb' argument for the next time it comes up at work) :thu:

EDIT TO ADD:

Also, I think Gooding High School, Mahar Regional High School, Sparkman High School, etc, etc, etc, probably disagree about there not being any US teams named the Senators :D

Damn I'm wily right now, this is what happens when I randomly wake up in the middle of the night.

• Members

In any case, they are throwbacks. I'm sure we'll the old ones next week. But, nothing, I mean, NOTHING I've ever seen on a football field is uglier than the throwback unis that Philly was wearing today. YUK!

Well those uniforms certainly gave McNabb targets he couldn't miss if he wanted to! After yesterday's performance I'm thinking those are the uniforms the Iggles will wear the rest of the season. :D

• Moderators
I guess I was unaware that they had already changed the Illini mascot.

Don't fret. There are lots of us here who will still be wearing our old Illini apparel with the Chief logo, even if new sales of Illini gear won't be officially licensed if it has Illiniwek anywhere on it.

• Members
What about the Bears?

Bears: fetish reference to hairy gay men.

It fits other homoerotic aspects of the game: batted balls, penetration, passes, lining up underneath the center, huddle.
Mmmmmm!!

Why are there ****backs and ****backers?

it's a thinly-veiled homage to barebacking. Again:

Bare ---> Bear ---> fuzzy gay man.

Nothing is wrong with any of that, but wait until the Bears unite to have that offensive mascot nixed.

:D and let's not even mention Tight Ends and Wide receivers!:D:D

• Members

Washington changed the name of their basketball team from the Bullets to the Wizards to make people happy.

I cannot figure out why they have not yet changed the name of the football team.

If the Cardinals can be in Arizona and the Rams can be in St. Louis, then why the hell can't the Redskins officially become the Hogs.

Honestly, it makes sense.

• Members

Washington changed the name of their basketball team from the Bullets to the Wizards to make people happy.

I cannot figure out why they have not yet changed the name of the football team.

If the Cardinals can be in Arizona and the Rams can be in St. Louis, then why the hell can't the Redskins officially become the Hogs.

Honestly, it makes sense.

Well, one team is in Washington state, and the other is in Washington DC, so I guess there's a bit of distance between the people talking about team names.

• Members

Yeah, because this looks like a noble depiction of an object of admiration:

I mean, with a name like "Chief Wahoo", how could it be anything other than dignified...
:rolleyes:

ALC-CLE-Logo.png

Sports, at least when I was a kid, was always about competiton. You gave your team a name to have a psychological edge or because the name was cool, not to say hey let's hold down the red race and impune their lives. The Injun, is a charicature of a bunch of hard fighters who will strike fear and beat you. At least that's been my impression 'til the PC censors attempted to make me think otherwise.

Seems everyone wants to make everything about race today. PC crap.

Way too many people are way too sensitive about way too many things because they have way too much time on their hands.

I know, let's call them the rainbows or is that now an anti gay stereotype?

How about the PETA's and they all play naked? Nope someone will take offense to naked baseball. :rolleyes:

C'mon let's all feel sorry for the red race. Boo Hoo. :rolleyes:

• Members

C'mon let's all feel sorry for the red race. Boo Hoo.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, and I bet"it was better back when we had separate water fountains" too?

As I already mentioned, using the name of an ethnic group is not inherently offensive, it's using a slur that is.

The Florida State Seminoles not only have the permission of the Seminole tribe, they have the full support and a working relationship to get advice on how to do the costuming, half time show, etc...

A mascot like Chief Wahoo is the equivalent of a minstrel show performer or a tar baby. Most groups that protest Cleveland don't care about the nickname, they care about the mascot (because "Indians" is not a slur). And most groups who protest the Redskins protest the nickname, not the mascot (since the mascot is not a caricature, but the name is a slur).

Opponents may want to paint it all with a "wow, everyone is offended by everything" brush in order to dismiss the complaints, but it's demonstrably not the case.

• Members

Yeah, and I bet
"it was better back when we had separate water fountains"
too?

As I already mentioned, using the name of an ethnic group is not inherently offensive, it's using a slur that is.

The Florida State Seminoles not only have the permission of the Seminole tribe, they have the full support and a working relationship to get advice on how to do the costuming, half time show, etc...

A mascot like Chief Wahoo is the equivalent of a minstrel show performer or a tar baby. Most groups that protest Cleveland don't care about the nickname, they care about the mascot (because "Indians" is not a slur). And most groups who protest the Redskins protest the nickname, not the mascot (since the mascot is not a caricature, but the name is a slur).

Opponents may want to paint it all with a
"wow, everyone is offended by everything"
brush in order to dismiss the complaints, but it's demonstrably not the case.

http://www.aimovement.org/ncrsm/

This group seems pretty opposed to the Indian name in general (along with the mascots used to portray them).

• Members

This group seems pretty opposed to the Indian name in general (along with the mascots used to portray them).

From that page:

"The American Indian community for 50 years has worked to banish images and names like Cleveland's chief wahoo, Washington redskins, Kansas City chiefs, Atlanta braves."

"While the Cleveland American Indian community continues to protest outside the Cleveland baseball stadium, every home game because of the objectionable, red faced, big-nosed, buckteeth Cleveland Indian logo."

And please note, I said "most groups", not all. Just as there are people who are extreme environmental activists who are used to discredit more reasonable ones, that's the case here as well.

There's not a whole lot more to say though. If people can look something like "Chief Wahoo", and honestly tell me that's the dignified depiction of a mascot that is supposed to be done in admiration and respect, then nothing I say will change their mind.

Archived