OT: (and bloggish) those "personality tests" employers use.

Funkee1

• Members

Who came up wit these? I can see right through most of these stupid questions and see what they want to know? Why the subterfuge? The GC one (Yes, I am contemplating going back to work for them......at least for Christmas) asks "Would you report someone for stealing?" and "I am uncomfortable when I meet new people". I know what they want to know. why not just ask that???

And furthermore, the test asks about my attendance in high school. since I had to put my age in, doesn't the computer know that was 30 years ago??? And what does my high school attendance have to do with this job???

Another one (customer service person at a car lot) asked if I had regrets in my life. Well, yeah! I regret not finishing college. Can I still transfer phone calls, and point to the Men's room?

Jeez!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What are the requirements for GC? I need some extra money. And I know I know more about bass then the jokers at the local store.

misterhinkydink ain't too far off. Basically, they want people who are willing to submit completely and totally to their dogma. The only real way to make serious money at GC is to live there, just like a car salesman does. However, if you have a clean background, previous sales experience, and knowledge of guitars (bass is a bastard stepchild there. Don't tell them you want to sell basses). apply away.

Any question on the personalty test that involves drug use, or theft, answer in a way that indicates you aren't into drugs, and have never stolen (which should be the case anyway).

• Members

misterhinkydink ain't too far off. Basically, they want people who are willing to submit completely and totally to their dogma. The only real way to make serious money at GC is to live there, just like a car salesman does. However, if you have a clean background, previous sales experience, and knowledge of guitars (bass is a bastard stepchild there. Don't tell them you want to sell basses). apply away.

Any question on the personalty test that involves drug use, or theft, answer in a way that indicates you aren't into drugs, and have never stolen (which should be the case anyway).

I can pass a drug test. And I've never stolen anything big. I was a screw up as a kid, but it wasn't anything like a car or anything. And I never got caught.

• Moderators

Detailed personality tests rarely miss the mark with who an applicant really is. A good test will also have multiples of the same question worded in a different way, so that you can't spoof the test. Further, why would you want an employee who is mismatched to a job, when they might be better suited to something else you have available? If the test is good, you won't see right through it, even if you think you can. That's also the point of having multiple interviews with multiple people, even if they ask a lot of questions that seem redundant.

• Moderators
True. But. They have little predictive value for job performance.

Not true. As an example if the personality test shows that a person doesn't like new experiences and has trouble meeting new people the last place they should be is in sales. Likewise if the test shows they lack initiative, the last job they should have is one where autonomy/self motivation is required. It's been my experience that a person who tests middle of the road is exactly that, and the people who score well above average are exactly that as employees (with rare exception). The reason employers use them is because they work.

• Members

And furthermore, the test asks about my attendance in high school. since I had to put my age in, doesn't the computer know that was 30 years ago??? And what does my high school attendance have to do with this job???jeez!!!

They're not looking for how old you are. They want to know if you're going to skip work or not.

• Members

Not true. As an example if the personality test shows that a person doesn't like new experiences and has trouble meeting new people the last place they should be is in sales. Likewise if the test shows they lack initiative, the last job they should have is one where autonomy/self motivation is required. It's been my experience that a person who tests middle of the road is exactly that, and the people who score well above average are exactly that as employees (with rare exception). The reason employers use them is because they work.

Most research would disagree. A meta-analysis by Hough (1998a) suggests there is only a 0.12 and 0.03 correlation between 'extraversion' and 'openness' scores on a 'big five' personality test score and actual sales figures.

A meta-meta-analysis by Barrick, Mount and Judge (2001) showed that, even when corrected for reliability and restricted range, personality tests do not predict work performance better than 0.23. That's not very good.

The best predictor for job performance is still a good test for mental abilities.

• Moderators
The best predictor for job performance is still a good test for mental abilities.

That is a significant part of any decent personality profile test. As I said, I have 20 years of experience as an employer administering these tests (not the kind about stealing and stupid stuff like that). I'll take those 20 years as qualified research. ;)

• Members

That is a significant part of any decent personality profile test. As I said, I have 20 years of experience as an employer administering these tests (not the kind about stealing and stupid stuff like that). I'll take those 20 years as qualified research.
;)

Meh. Whether or not measures of intelligence or mental abilities are included in the personality tests is a moot point, even more so if intelligence is actually part of one's personality. 'Pure' personality tests will not have measures of intelligence*), but a test battery may very well include an intelligence scale such as the WAIS besides personality tests such as the MMPI.

Bottom line, gimme dem smart kids over dem doofuses any day! ;)

*) Of course you need to have some level of intelligence for any test, but that's slightly beside the point

• Moderators

Again, if someone is shy, introverted and does not have a high achievement drive, it doesn't matter how smart they are. They have no business in sales. Further, someone who is not pessimistic will not be the best auditor. I don't need a smart kid. I need a self motivated person, who is honest and dependable. Sometimes the smart ones are too smart for their own good.

• Members

I can pass a drug test. And I've never stolen anything big. I was a screw up as a kid, but it wasn't anything like a car or anything. And I never got caught.

Just FYI, when I worked at GC in SoCal they didn't drug test anyone. Odds are you'd start out in Accessories (guitar floor is where everyone wants to be, so rarely if ever do you start out there), which isn't bad. Just stay the hell away from Pro Audio and Keyboards (where I was). No money there.

• Members

Again, if someone is shy, introverted and does not have a high achievement drive, it doesn't matter how smart they are. They have no business in sales. Further, someone who is not pessimistic will not be the best auditor. I don't need a smart kid. I need a self motivated person, who is honest and dependable. Sometimes the smart ones are too smart for their own good.

It makes sense, but the figures say otherwise. Let's leave it at that.

Archived