Any suggestions for touring Europe?

Clatter

• Members

Yes, it's true, we're contemplating a European tour in February. We're bored with you American forumites! :p But we're putting it together ourselves and while this is not our first trip overseas, it's our first working trip. So we thought four months would be enough time to pull something together, but we could use all the help we can get. Mostly we just need to know what the scene is like where you live--do people go out to see live music? Are there lots of places to play or just a few, especially for our type of music?

We've thought about playing overseas for a long time but it always seemed a little overwhelming. Now we've just decided we'd better get busy and just get on with it. Any suggestions you might have would be most appreciated!! Mostly we just look forward to meeting all you guys!

Amy

P.S. Oh, yeah, I guess I haven't been around in a while (darn busy life!) so if you don't know who I am, well, here's some links:

clatter.com

myspace.com/clatter

myspace.com/clatteramy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys should come here! :thu:

On the subject of venues, there are lots of different venues to play in Dublin. In varying sizes also. Anything from small pubs/clubs to stadiums and everything in between. People do go out to see bands a lot here, especially when a band from overseas comes in. I think your band would go down really well here! :)

• Members

Don't drink the water. Bring your own toliet paper.

BTW I'll be in London in late summer, early fall of 2008 if your tour gets postponed:thu:

Maybe we'll be back for our SECOND tour by then!! :thu:

Hey, did you ever get the e-mail I sent a while back?

• Members

We will have to throw ourselves at the mercy of the natives and maybe do some busking to survive. ;) Actually, if we start saving up now and if everyone in America buys a CD, we should be able to make it! :D Or if we don't have enough to buy airfare home, I'd probably be okay with that, too.

My biggest worry is about equipment. Damn me and my bass rig from hell! And Joe's Mega Drum Set! I hope we can procure the gear we need and figure out a way to get it from one place to the next. And fit on stage.

• Members

Oh, that looks so cool! I guess it's in a couple weeks? Maybe they'd consider us for '08! I was in the airport in Reykjavik and wished I could have seen the rest of the country.

Yeah, you should apply for '08 spot! Great little fest!

• Members

We will have to throw ourselves at the mercy of the natives and maybe do some busking to survive.
;)
Actually, if we start saving up now and if everyone in America buys a CD, we should be able to make it!
:D
Or if we don't have enough to buy airfare home, I'd probably be okay with that, too.

My biggest worry is about equipment. Damn me and my bass rig from hell! And Joe's Mega Drum Set! I hope we can procure the gear we need and figure out a way to get it from one place to the next. And fit on stage.

That is a tough one. I was going to suggest that you try to get in with specific bands to do your promo for you...and your backlining. But that might be tricky with your specific sound. Perhaps there is a band with a similar backline that would do all the tour or most with you? Then you could backline them when they come to the states? :confused::idea:

• Members

if your taking your gear, then you are going to need a vehicle, and someone to stay with it at all times, and a secure lockup for it every night.

i've seen what you guys tour with (helped hump it in the door, IIRC). it's hard enough getting round with a couple of suitcases.

and almost everywhere in Europe the advice is 'do not leave anything of value in your vehicle'.

• Members

We will have to throw ourselves at the mercy of the natives and maybe do some busking to survive.
;)
Actually, if we start saving up now and if everyone in America buys a CD, we should be able to make it!
:D
Or if we don't have enough to buy airfare home, I'd probably be okay with that, too.

There must be a way to drive the Clattermobile to Europe. There just has to be a way.

• Members

Haha! We actually did look into going over on a boat, but it would take 5 or 6 days. And we would look green on arrival, probably.

When we thought of doing this a few years ago we looked into a cartage company and I think we can rent most of our stuff, but we would need a vehicle. It would be awesome to have a driver, too, wouldn't it? In fact, I'd be happy traveling around on the train and meeting up with the gear at the venue. Wonder how realistic that is?

• Members

That is a tough one. I was going to suggest that you try to get in with specific bands to do your promo for you...and your backlining. But that might be tricky with your specific sound. Perhaps there is a band with a similar backline that would do all the tour or most with you? Then you could backline them when they come to the states?
:confused::idea:

That's a cool idea. Now to find the right band!! Anyone know of any?!

Archived