Any suggestions for touring Europe?

Clatter

• Members

Haha! Good point! In a similar vein, I can't tell you how many bands I've seen in Kansas City who have said, "It's so great to be in Kansas!" The crowd immediately yells at them because the metropolitan part of Kansas City is actually in the state of Missouri. Honest mistake, but still!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:D

The only rule for playing in Ireland is....do NOT say "We love playing in the U.K. so much" or "This is our first show in the U.K." Irish people don't like that.
:rolleyes:

I saw the Misfits last night and Jerry stupidly said "This is our last show on this tour in England.......oh crap....uhh I mean Dublin....{censored}....."
:lol:
Crowd was pretty pissed for a min but he knew he made the mistake so all was forgiven.
:)
Plus they rocked!
:p

+1
Get your cities right, I've seen too many (American) bands saying: "Thank you, Amsterdam", when they're playing in some other city around here, most people really don't like it.
I know it's easy to get confused since most towns are just a half hour drive for each other, but still.

You might want to think about postponing your trip until late april/early may so you can play the early outdoor festivals.
Those are usually good places for a relatively unknown band to attract a nice crowd.

Otherwise, almost all towns in the Netherlands have one(or more) subsidized concert center, most of them have live music at least three times a week.
Those would be the ideal venue for you guys, should you decide to visit our little country.
I know a lot of them use Mojo, which is a part of LiveNation, for most international bookings.

If you do decide to come to the Netherlands, don't hesitate to shoot me a pm if I can help in any way.

• Members

+1

Get your cities right, I've seen too many (American) bands saying: "Thank you, Amsterdam", when they're playing in some other city around here, most people really don't like it.

They should just hedge their bets: "Vele Dank, Koninkrijk der Nederlanden!!!"...That will also cover them if they happen to get drunk and end up in Curacao :D

• Members

What about passport and visa issues? Are these things that a band would need to map out before going to Europe--or at least have thumbnail sketch?

I understand that there are tight guidelines around visits to Scandinavian countries. There's a time limit and it starts upon entry in Scandinavia. It's unlike, say, going to France and having a time limit. Even if you're going to 2 or 3 Scandinavian countries there's a single time limit for that whole region.

Maybe this particular issue isn't a big concern for your situation, but it's the kind of thing that I first thought about.

One thing I noticed when I was in Hungary and Poland, bass-related stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!!! In spite of their cost of living being lower than the US and their unemployment rates being really high, their stuff was easily 2x what we'd pay here. So, one question would be whether you take extra strings & stuff with you, or not. And maybe this kind of stuff isn't as expensive in Western Europe.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

The only rule for playing in Holland is:

Don't ever, ever say stupid stuff like "We {censored}in' love your country man, I wanna move here and smoke weed all day, blah blah weed, blah blah smoking dope, blah blah".

All the American bands do that. Makes them look like a right bunch of losers at any rate.

• Members
What about passport and visa issues? Are these things that a band would need to map out before going to Europe--or at least have thumbnail sketch?

I understand that there are tight guidelines around visits to Scandinavian countries. There's a time limit and it starts upon entry in Scandinavia. It's unlike, say, going to France and having a time limit. Even if you're going to 2 or 3 Scandinavian countries there's a single time limit for that whole region.

Maybe this particular issue isn't a big concern for your situation, but it's the kind of thing that I first thought about.

One thing I noticed when I was in Hungary and Poland, bass-related stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!!! In spite of their cost of living being lower than the US and their unemployment rates being really high, their stuff was easily 2x what we'd pay here. So, one question would be whether you take extra strings & stuff with you, or not. And maybe this kind of stuff isn't as expensive in Western Europe.

Just my 2 cents.

I talked to one of my friends today, his band is actually planning a tour through Europe right now. According to him, the main things to worry about are a workpermit (most countries have special visa for performing musicians), an ATA carnet to avoid having to pay import taxes for all your gear (and the hassle of getting refunds) and taxes on merchandising and cd's.
One permit will do for all of Schengen (which includes most of Europe, except the UK, Switzerland, former Yugoslavia, Ukrain and Belarus).
The carnet is valid for a lot of countries all over the world.

And yes, bassrelated stuff is expensive, one set of strings will cost you at least 30 euro, which is about a 100 dollars right now. :p

• Members

Thanks so much for all your insight!! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to post some suggestions and ideas. I'll respond to each below:

I talked to one of my friends today, his band is actually planning a tour through Europe right now. According to him, the main things to worry about are a workpermit (most countries have special visa for performing musicians), an ATA carnet to avoid having to pay import taxes for all your gear (and the hassle of getting refunds) and taxes on merchandising and cd's.

One permit will do for all of Schengen (which includes most of Europe, except the UK, Switzerland, former Yugoslavia, Ukrain and Belarus).

The carnet is valid for a lot of countries all over the world.

And yes, bassrelated stuff is expensive, one set of strings will cost you at least 30 euro, which is about a 100 dollars right now.
:p

That's really helpful! I know there's probably a lot of red tape involved, so it's good to be looking into all this now so we can minimize the headaches when it's time to travel. Even in spite of all the hassle, I'm still really excited to put this together! I hope I get to meet you guys and thank you in person for all your help! :)

Archived