"Our Country"...

Svi

• Members

american jingoism. Put it in German and it would be right at home in Hitler's rise to power circa 1935.

"folks like me and you"....meaning white redneck peckerwood folks who buy trucks, but not anyone else.

Except in the USA it's driven by capitalism and not just a will to power. Awesome.

• Members

One and the other are the same. The thing that kills me is the "freedom" reference. Like hat we have now is somehow freedom, when my entire life has been marked by a decrease in freedoms available to the common man. The only exception is the Civil Rights Movement. Except for that it's always backwards. Government and Corporatism always grow. The rights of the individual are always under attack.

• Members

I #$$@@#$%&%*((%%$#$%@#$@ing hate that song. For all the reasons above. Cheezy american jingoism pandering to the lowest possible intellect, with Mellencamp's nails-on-chalkboard voice behind it.... good god it's awful. I really want to hit him with a chevy truck every time I hear it and don't have the mute button handy.

• Members
One and the other are the same. The thing that kills me is the "freedom" reference. Like hat we have now is somehow freedom, when my entire life has been marked by a decrease in freedoms available to the common man. The only exception is the Civil Rights Movement. Except for that it's always backwards. Government and Corporatism always grow. The rights of the individual are always under attack.

:confused:

I thought the "freedom" reference meant that you could get into your new $20k+ truck and drive away from whatever it is you want to escape. Besides, there is no government interference in wide, open spaces. Well, except for speed limits...and seat belts...and 42 cents/gallon tax on gasoline...and highways or lack of...and highway patrols...... :cry:

• Members
:confused:

I thought the "freedom" reference meant that you could get into your new $20k+ truck and drive away from whatever it is you want to escape. Besides, there is no government interference in wide, open spaces. Well, except for speed limits...and seat belts...and 42 cents/gallon tax on gasoline...and highways or lack of...and highway patrols......
:cry:

You can't escape when you have tattoo payments to make.

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with the song, although musically it sounds pretty identical to several others. I like a lot of Mellencamp stuff. Hearing it 10 times a night though gets old.

Tim In WV said -
"folks like me and you"....meaning white redneck peckerwood folks who buy trucks, but not anyone else."

Since Mellencamp is writing a tune about the Jena 6 in complete favor of them, I hardly think this was his thought process. There are also plenty of African-Americans and Hispanics who drive pickup trucks, so I doubt that was Chevy's thought process, too.

• Members

You are spot on!:thu:

Further, why do we think that cars are freedom? They are among the many chains that bind us, but 80+ years of auto adverts have brainwashed us. Throw in some country music, wave the flag a few times during the ad, have the same gravelly voiced voice-over guy blathering in our skulls and we continue to believe.:blah::blah:

It's like a freakin' religion, a really bad off the wall religion:rolleyes:

• Moderators
You are spot on!
:thu:

Further, why do we think that cars are freedom? They are among the many chains that bind us, but 80+ years of auto adverts have brainwashed us. Throw in some country music, wave the flag a few times during the ad, have the same gravelly voiced voice-over guy blathering in our skulls and we continue to believe.
:blah:
:blah:

It's like a freakin' religion, a really bad off the wall religion:rolleyes:

So it will be cheaper for everyone with mass transportation to every town of 50 people? So farmers will just walk out to their farms to hop on the tractors. So connecting every little town in Utah with mass transportation and putting more government employees on the payroll is somehow going to be helpful.:rolleyes:

• Members
So it will be cheaper for everyone with mass transportation to every town of 50 people? So farmers will just walk out to their farms to hop on the tractors. So connecting every little town in Utah with mass transportation and putting more government employees on the payroll is somehow going to be helpful.
:rolleyes:

Yes, exactly like that...:rolleyes:

• CMS Author

What freedoms have decreased?

Archived