Check This: Hearing-Related ~ Mosquito Ringtones

Thunderbroom

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And as an aside, I realize how old I am as I remember meeting your son when he was around 3.

I was talking to him the other day about it and he remembers meeting everyone there, too. Man, we've been hanging out here for a long time...

• Members

I can hear the 19.8 fairly well, but anything above that is shot.

I've been around too many cymbals in my 19 years...:o

EDIT: Not that being able to hear at almost the top of the accepted human hearing range is bad or anything...:rolleyes:;)

• Members

I can hear the 19.8 fairly well, but anything above that is shot.

I've been around too many cymbals in my 19 years...
:o

It's probably just because your own voice is around 24 hz, and years of that low frequency vibration in your own skull has caused you to be overly sensitive to lower frequencies and under sensitive to higher frequencies...

or something...

<_>

• Members

It's probably just because your own voice is around 24 hz, and years of that low frequency vibration in your own skull has caused you to be overly sensitive to lower frequencies and under sensitive to higher frequencies...

or something...

<_>

>_>

Keep it up, and I will come to LA and use the power of my speech to induce another Northridge-type seismic event! :mad:

• Members

This thread should sell some earplugs. Once your ears are gone, they don't come back. Ever.

I could hear up to the 21.1, and I'm 39.

I spent many years in symphony orchestras and concert bands, often just in front of loud percussionists/trumpet players, and behind hornists. Yet, I seem to be pretty unscathed.

Are rock dbs more punishing than concert dbs?

• Members

I just tried this again but I used headphones. In my case, it minimized the ambient room sounds like the PC fans and HVAC.

This time I was able to clearly hear nearly all the tones. I heard only the lower tones when my volume was on 5 of 10 but when kicked up to 10 I heard all up to the 21.1. Without the phones, I was at the mid tones on the site.

I wouldn't put too much creedance into these tones for a base measurement of your hearing. If you've ever had a real audiology examination you will know that you are put into a sound proof room, given high quality headphones, then various test tones much like the ones you hear from this website. Every portion of the exam is given to each ear separately.

A normal hearing range is from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz (20 kHz) but everyone is different. Age and environment also plays a role. As does volume.

When I was younger and rockin' my ass off before entering the Army, I would always stand in front of my two 8x10 Ampegs and wail away. I would do this whenever we gigged and I would do this in the confines of my basement to the point it was common for my ears to be ringing for sometimes two days before the residuals would subside. I did the same at concerts, I would get as close to the PA as possible.

However, my hearing acuity has minimal loss and I can still hear my bass. :thu:

Sometimes I am not able to hear my wife. I chalk this up to acuity loss at certain frequencies. ;):p

• Members

i never really understood the term double-blind test....if i'm blind-folded, aren't i just blind once?

The tester and the testee (heh, testes) are both "blind", that way neither party can influence the testing.

In this case, both the listener can't tell what cable it is (so that it doesn't color his perceptions) and the person playing can't tell what it is (so that it doesn't influence their performance). In a drug trial, it's used so that neither the person taking the drug nor the person(s) observing the subjects can let the knowledge influence their perceptions, etc.

Heh...testes...

Heh...wang...

Archived