Getting to truss rod check time.

Darkstorm

• Members

With very good basses and guitars, I find theres still two times of yr to do truss rod check and possible small tweak. Around the first stirrings of summer heat and winter cold. Normally just a quarter turn or less as hot or cold weather starts making its appearance. How bout you, Same?

• Members

With very good basses and guitars, I find theres still two times of yr to do truss rod check and possible small tweak. Around the first stirrings of summer heat and winter cold. Normally just a quarter turn or less as hot or cold weather starts making its appearance. How bout you, Same?

I actually had to adjust the truss on my Jazz Bass and Jaguar guitar just the other day.

The guitar just needed a small tweaking, but the bass took a little bit of work to get it just right. I also raised the action on the bass just a hair.

• Members

It really depends on climate more than anything. My basses haven't left the house in two years and they haven't needed any tweeking and I live in rainy Seattle. Had I been hauling them out to gigs I'm positive they would have needed attention.

• Members

I'd say in general mine get 2 tweaks per year as well, but I usually do a little more than just that to keep them playing nice.

The Modulus doesn't need anything...and that's even with drastic climate changes. It's as solid as a rock! I set it up when I change my string gauges...and that's it.

• Members

Funny thing about my Washburn T24. I was adjusting it like you until last year when it seemed like it twisted or something. To get the strings to intonate properly I had to have the saddles back farther on the E and A. Then I just turned it back 1/4 turn. The neck has been straight, requiring no truss rod adjustment in more than a year. The action is low. I took it on a trip down south where it was 104 degrees outside and in the air conditioning at night. It never bothered the neck at all. Humidity...no change. I took it to Richmond VA this past weekend and left it in the car when it was 40 degrees overnight. No change. Me happy.

I haven't had my Jack Casady long enough to see any trends.

• Members

Around here it's the zero humidy of winter that takes it's toll. I've had a few issues with instruments, mainly being the fret edges sticking out with neck shrinkage over the winter. Going tomorrow to get a room humidifier for this season...

• Moderators

Around here it's the zero humidy of winter that takes it's toll. I've had a few issues with instruments, mainly being the fret edges sticking out with neck shrinkage over the winter. Going tomorrow to get a room humidifier for this season...

Your basses will be better off, but so will you. Get a hygrometer from Radio Shack and keep your house above 35%.

Archived