Played through a GK 800RB tonight

skatalite

• Members

Had a show but no amp! My GK is in the shop and my Mesa is on the way. But man, was I loving the 800 I played with tonight. I've never played on through an Ampeg 8x10, but the sound was to die for. Got louder than I thought it would, and I even had a good amount of time to play around with some settings.

I played my SX jazz with Duncan Quarter Pounders through it.

I'm so tempted to sell/trade my 1001RB-II for an 800. It would be a perfect back-up to my 400+.

Just thought I'd share!

• Members

I played an 800RB through an 8 X 10 for years. Great sound. :thu:

One of my favorite rigs was an 800RB with an 8 X 10 AND a 2 X 10. With a 5 string Stingray, new strings, played with a pick, it was just viscious in a punk band setting at the time. :evil:

I still carry an 800RB around as a backup to the SVT-CL.

• Members

A year or so ago I traded a bunch of stuff for an Eden 550 Traveler at BassNW and still kind of wish I'd opted for the 800RB instead. They've been around for so long and are still one of those amps to which all others are judged.

• Members

What happened after the 90's? I've never heard that argument. Thanks.

Dunno really but they plasticized everything, shrunk it down, started using smaller pots and probably some other stuff. If you were to put the two side by side you can see a huge difference in the sturdyness of the older ones. I am also a believer that the older ones are actually louder than the new ones. The sound is pretty much the same though.

Dan

• Members

What happened after the 90's? I've never heard that argument. Thanks.

:idk:

Around '97 I purchased a 100RB after using an 800RB. There was a WORLD of difference in the sound. After that I got an 800RB and eventually got rid of the 1000RB. I don't know how the newer heads compare.

Archived