A Casual Poll: Will the lead singer freak out?

Phantasm

• Members

I won't (you are 100% right about that), but I can PROMISE that our guitarist will!

Man, I used to hate that! I had this drummer who used to inevitably ask me if I was nervous and then say "Yeah I bet, by the way, don't put your hands in your pockets..." or some other completely random useless piece of advice. Knob.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Man, I used hate that! I had this drummer who used to inevitably ask me if I was nervous and then say "Yeah I bet, by the way, don't put your hands in your pockets..." or some other completely random useless piece of advice. Knob.

Right, because when I'm nervous and playing my bass I just stop and fondle myself on stage.:idea:

• Members

Well, it's been a good weekend. The show Friday was a freebie, but the show saturday was $ x 250. That's always a great start to a band.

There was a little freaking out last night because her in-ears cut out. We took a short break while they fixed whatever was wrong with them.

Oh, and as mentioned, the Eshenbaugh J4 through GK 2001RB + Bergantino NV610 was rocking for a second night in a row. I'm thinking i like this setup. Soundguy was a bit skeptical at first and when we were done he said he wanted a rig like that for his new backline, and that the bass was just amazing-sounding.

As for a picture... all I could find online right now was this random snapshot from her myspace (if it lets me post it):

l_b871e622e8aaf75766c4dbbec5159151.jpg

• CMS Author

I'm betting $3 and a Lava cable that she becomes an insufferable bitch. Even money says she starts "calling the shots" at the next practice.

You really should've cut out her monitor send completely for the whole night. Humility is a wonderful thing. With a female lead singer, it's a life-saver (yours).

:D:D:D

• Members

What's with all this talk about "insufferable bitch.... etc?"

Why are you guys harshing on her so much? So what? She was freaking out and was nervous. Big deal. She pulled it together, they had a great show.

totally agree... get a band you like and can trust and just get to the road... i bet you'll be doing fine if you keep doing good music!

• Members

Why are you guys harshing on her so much? So what? She was freaking out and was nervous. Big deal. She pulled it together, they had a great show.

It's the guitarist I'm talking about, not the singer! Bad things are in the forecast...;)

• Members

They're just predicting based on the trends.

Pretty girl singer generally (of course not always, but generally) means several things:

One, without an outside boyfriend, it means romantic/sexual tensions within the band. Pretty + proximity = trouble. Multiple guys + one girl = someone pissed/disappointed...And that's just before she dates a bandmate and they break up. :D

Two, pretty girl singer = disproportionate attention paid to her = jealousy from the rest of the band. Her opinion of her role in the band will usually (like most people) change with the attention paid. The phrase "Lead Singer Disease" doesn't exist for no reason, and it's doubly worse when it's a pretty girl (e.g., No Doubt and Gwen Stefani...the only one who's not a musician, but she's the one with the solo career).

Given those two elements, it's only a matter of time before someone's pissed at someone else for something. :D

Remember, fools aren't born...pretty women make them in their spare time ;)

• Members
Dunno, but this is only the begining. A talented, hot female lead singer, some tell-tale signs from this guitard, it's a familiar story.
:p

Yeah, I can see you point. Here's hoping now that she's got a couple of good gigs under her belt she'll toughen up and he'll ease off. That would be awesome.

Band dynamics are such a tricky thing aren't they?

• Moderators

Band dynamics are such a tricky thing aren't they?

Being in a band is like dating/being married to each of the members of the band. Add in real dating or even sexual tension and it gets infinitely more complicated. I'm glad I don't want to nail any of my bandmates.

• Members

Being in a band is like dating/being married to each of the members of the band. Add in real dating or even sexual tension and it gets infinitely more complicated. I'm glad I don't want to nail any of my bandmates.

I'm married to my guitar player, so that pretty much ends any possibility for tension with other members.

Not that the odd bandmate hasn't fallen in love with me. Lots of people can't distinguish the musician connection from a sexual one. It's similar, but shouldn't be confused as love.

• Moderators

Not that the odd bandmate hasn't fallen in love with me. Lots of people can't distinguish the musician connection from a sexual one. It's similar, but shouldn't be confused as love.

And there you make my point... Just be conscious of it.

• Members

Two, pretty girl singer = disproportionate attention paid to her = jealousy from the rest of the band. Her opinion of her role in the band will usually (like most people) change with the attention paid. The phrase "Lead Singer Disease" doesn't exist for no reason, and it's doubly worse when it's a pretty girl (e.g., No Doubt and Gwen Stefani...the only one who's not a musician, but she's the one with the solo career).

This part, I don't get. It's not like she's on the cover of bassplayer magazine or is getting huge credit for her musical talent or prowess. She has her own clothing line, she has her own makeup and perfume. She's on the cover of Vogue, Cosmo etc. It's just a fashion thing.

Her bandmates are never getting on the cover of Vogue on their own. It's just not going to happen. Because of her beauty, they're getting attention to their band in a manner they would not otherwise have. They should be grateful that she's so hot, that simply her beauty is getting them extra press.

Naturally, a side effect of that is that lots of young women know her better than they know the rest of the band, but really does fame matter that much? She more famous, but certainly not more respected.

• Members

For you, but it might be naive to think that is actually a true statement.

And there you make my point... Just be conscious of it.

Well my first statement meant that I wasn't dating members and bouncing around from band mate to band mate, causing extra trouble.

And yes, I don't make any physical contact with any band mates aside from a handshake and I don't see them outside the band in a social setting without my husband. I keep it strictly business.

Archived