A Casual Poll: Will the lead singer freak out?

Phantasm

• Members

This part, I don't get. It's not like she's on the cover of bassplayer magazine or is getting huge credit for her musical talent or prowess. She has her own clothing line, she has her own makeup and perfume. She's on the cover of Vogue, Cosmo etc. It's just a fashion thing.

Her bandmates are never getting on the cover of Vogue on their own. It's just not going to happen. Because of her beauty, they're getting attention to their band in a manner they would not otherwise have. They should be grateful that she's so hot, that simply her beauty is getting them extra press.

Naturally, a side effect of that is that lots of young women know her better than they know the rest of the band, but really does fame matter that much? She more famous, but certainly not more respected.

It's not about being on the cover of vogue. Her first album sold more than No Doubt's last two albums combined (more than all their albums other than Tragic Kingdom in fact).

They're delaying production on their next No Doubt album, waiting for her to get off tour.

Her first solo album received six Grammy nominations, more than any No Doubt album ever did. So she definitely is getting huge credit for her music.

It's not just about being a fashion plate.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Well my first statement meant that I wasn't dating members and bouncing around from band mate to band mate, causing extra trouble.

And yes, I don't make any physical contact with any band mates aside from a handshake and I don't see them outside the band in a social setting without my husband. I keep it a strictly business.

I see where you are going. I'm not in any way saying you are doing anything wrong or sending any mixed signals. It's just baggage you unwittingly carry along from being a cool hot chick. There are tons of guys for which this would cause no problem. However, many musicians are not quite that emotionally developed. ;) It could be as simple as resentment of your husband by another band member because the other band member's wife gives him a hard time about being in the band while at the same time your husband's wife appears to be the coolest wife on the planet. This simple resentment gets hidden because the band member knows he's being stupid, but it lingers and comes out in other ways... Just one of the 10,000 reasons bands are complex relationships with a great propensity to explode.

• Members

It's not about being on the cover of vogue. Her first album sold more than No Doubt's last two albums combined (more than all their albums other than Tragic Kingdom in fact).

They're delaying production on their next No Doubt album, waiting for her to get off tour.

Her first solo album received six Grammy nominations, more than any No Doubt album ever did. So she definitely is getting huge credit for her music.

It's not just about being a fashion plate.

Hmmm and yet she's still going to work with them, even though it's a step back financially. Why do you figure she'd do that?

*regarding tone* I'm not being smarmy, just curious.

• Members
Hmmm and yet she's still going to work with them, even though it's a step back financially. Why do you figure she'd do that?

*regarding tone* I'm not being smarmy, just curious.

Well, Tragic Kingdom still sold 16 million, maybe the next No Doubt will do that...

Plus, her second solo album didn't do nearly as well as the first :D

It's an easily marked phenomenon though, heck, the video for don't speak (which was 12 years ago) is about the band breaking up because everyone paid all the attention to Gwen :D

Quasi-prophetic, neh? :D

• Members

It's an easily marked phenomenon though, heck, the video for don't speak (which was 12 years ago) is about the band breaking up because everyone paid all the attention to Gwen
:D

Quasi-prophetic, neh?

No no, it was totally about what was happening at the time. Her brother could hardly stand it. (Keyboard player who ended up quitting) The rest of the band had a hard time with it too and this was a way to sort of purge those emotions, at least from what I recall from an interview...

I'm just kind of in the whole "just suck it up!" mindset regarding all that. So your lead singer is really really popular! Big friggin' deal, you're not pumping gas or flippin' burgers, dude, suck it the heck up!

• Members

No no, it was totally about what was happening at the time. Her brother could hardly stand it. (Keyboard player who ended up quitting) The rest of the band had a hard time with it too and this was a way to sort of purge those emotions, at least from what I recall from an interview...

It's what happened at the time, it's what happened the whole time No Doubt has been in existence. That's why they made the video. It was a sad song (about something else) so they made it about what Gwen called "the saddest thing they could think of", i.e., the band breaking up.

The dynamic that causes the break up in the video (not in real life, since they haven't broken up) is the dynamic that happens with every attractive female front person: everyone pays attention to the pretty girl and the rest of the band is secondary.

I'm not saying that's how it was in the group, I'm saying that's how the public attention gets divided.

• Members

It's what happened at the time, it's what happened the whole time No Doubt has been in existence. That's why they made the video. It was a sad song (about something else) so they made it about what Gwen called "the saddest thing they could think of", i.e., the band breaking up.

The dynamic that causes the break up in the video (not in real life, since they haven't broken up) is the dynamic that happens with every attractive female front person: everyone pays attention to the pretty girl and the rest of the band is secondary.

I'm not saying that's how it was in the group, I'm saying that's how the public attention gets divided.

Is it the girl's fault?

If so, what should she do instead?

• Members
Is it the girls fault?

Not necessarily (unless she believes that attention = importance)...

I know you're trying to "defend your gender" or something here, but there's no attack.

Honestly, tell me, does an attractive female singer generally create problems or not? If you say 'no', I'd strongly disagree and would wonder how many bands you've been in while single :D

If you'd say 'yes', then what are we discussing it for?

• Members

I know you're trying to "defend your gender" or something here, but there's no attack.

No, I'm just honestly curious. Lets drop Gwen for now and switch gears for a second.

There's a local band in town here called Zuckerbaby. All men players.

They've had some press, major label, videos etc. Everyone is fixated on the guitar player, Reed. He's a really good looking guy of Japanese descent. I've seen people walk straight up to the lead singer and ask if he knew when that awesome band 'Zuckerbaby' were going to be on, point to Reed and say "That's him, that's the guy right?"

Does the lead singer take it hard? No. Reed looks different and is more recognizable. That's it, that's all.

Is it Reeds fault that people are fixated on him? Should he play it down so the lead singer can get more press and really, how can he play down the fact that he's Japanese?

I'm not trying to fight with you KK, I'm just flabbergasted as to why people get so uptight when it comes to fame. The most popular member of my band right now is the drummer. I say, Yay!

• Members

Honestly, tell me, does an attractive female singer generally create problems or not? If you say 'no', I'd strongly disagree and would wonder how many bands you've been in while single

In a professional situation with mature, dedicated, strong minded musicians, I still say no. And I'll prove it.;)

• Members
In a professional situation with mature, dedicated, strong minded musicians, I still say no. And I'll prove it.
;)

First of all, setting a bunch of conditions on an answer to a question of what "generally" happens doesn't work. Generally, what is the case? Not "in this specific set of conditions" what is the case :p

Honestly, Mature, dedicated, strong-minded musicians, how many of those do you know? :D You're talking about emotional control from people who do nothing but express emotion. Rock and Roll history is littered with stories of bands torn apart by gender dynamics.

Even when it's "under control" it's there.

I've got some friends in the studio right now finishing an album.

Female singer (not even lead) who is in a long-term committed relationship with someone outside the band. Everyone in the band knows there is no chance of anything happening with her. The songwriter has told me that half of the album is inspired by her.

And the PR focuses on her a huge amount because she's marketable.

• Members
First of all, setting a bunch of conditions on an answer to a question of what "generally" happens doesn't work.
Generally
, what is the case? Not "in this specific set of conditions" what is the case
:p

Generally, every band I've been in has broken up because certain members can't keep their alcohol under control. They generally break up because someone's not being professional. The generally break up because they lose focus as to what's important. The music.

• Members

Even when it's "under control" it's there.

I've got some friends in the studio right now finishing an album.

Female singer (not even lead) who is in a long-term committed relationship with someone outside the band. Everyone in the band knows there is no chance of anything happening with her. The songwriter has told me that half of the album is inspired by her.

And the PR focuses on her a huge amount because she's marketable.

Okay, is this a problem? He's written killer material that's landed them in a recording studio because of his muse. He's getting press for his band because of his muse. Why is there trouble brewing? Why should he have to act on his emotions? Just let it be what it is.

• Members
Okay, is this a problem? He's written killer material that's landed them in a recording studio because of his muse. He's getting press for his band because of his muse. Why is there trouble brewing? Why should he have to act on his emotions? Just let it be what it is.

Well, it's an problem mainly because he says it is ;)

Unrequited feelings and unfulfilled sexual tension are volatile fuels for the creative process :D

• Members

Unrequited feelings and unfulfilled sexual tension are volatile fuels for the creative process

Eh, they're a part of my daily life. I fall in love at least once a week. :D

A person needs to use those feelings for what they really are. Fuel, and fuel only.

Archived