Which flight case would you trust?

LanEvo

• Members

I know we're not really supposed to talk about actual bass stuff around here...but here's a question.

I'm going to be doing a moderate amount of traveling this summer. I will be bringing my Squier Jazz with me. I won't be able to bring it on the plane as carry-on for a variety of reasons (long story). Looks like I'm going to have to check it in.

What would you guys recommend as an affordable case that can hold up to some mild/moderate air travel? I can't justify spending $500 on an Anvil flight case for a $280 bass! And I suspect a vintage-style plywood case wouldn't hold up (though I'd love to pick up a tweed Fender-style case). So, what am I looking for?

Emre

• Members

long story explained

Lol. That's awesome.

Really, my problem is just that I'm going to be carrying other stuff (like my laptop) that has higher priority for this trip. I'll have too much other stuff as carry-on to also bring a full-sized bass in a gig-bag.

Emre

• Members

I own two, they're {censored}ing tanks. Several other folks have bought them (Zamphir is the first that comes to mind) and loved them.

Have you flown with them yet? Just wondering how they hold up to "baggage monkey" abuse.

Emre

• Members

OK, let me look at this from another angle...

Is there a gig-bag that you can recommend that has a front pocket large enough to hold a 13" MacBook (in it's padded sleeve) and associated accessories? That way, maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

Emre

• Members

Zamphir took his to Eastern Europe and back, he said they held up great.

Personally, I've jumped up and down on mine (220lbs, jumping, not just hopping up and down).

If you guys want me to test some out, I'll be glad to take delivery of lent out flight cases, fly them all over the f-ing world, and report on the results. Spots are currently open for baggage thrower endurance testing in Chicago, Indiana, New York City, Washington DC, Hong Kong, Saigon, San Francisco, Nashville, Los Angeles, Los Vegas, Stockholm, Atlanta, London, Madrid, Seattle, and elsewhere. Hell, if you'd've caught me 3 weeks ago, I could have sent one to Kenya and back;)

No, seriously.

• Members

I can't justify spending $500 on an Anvil flight case for a $280 bass!

I've been buying cases for over twenty years and I keep coming back to Anvil. They are worth the money. Can't justify $500? So if you choose an inferior case and your bass gets busted just once and you have to replace it, there's your justification. Also keep in mind that you can't find a replacement bass on a few hours notice in every city.

Archived