WOT: Why are drugs illegal?

AunShui

• Members
You need to get away from that brown Mexican weed and into some serious {censored}, essay.
:idea:

I've tried as much as has been given. A double shot of Jager does more for me. :)

Plus I don't like the effect- I like being up instead of down.

• Members

Do you guys think steroids should be legal? I think they should be legal.

Because?

On another note, I'm all for legalizing marijuana, even though I'm not a smoker myself-the effects of the drug on people/society don't merit the amount of time spent enforcing laws against it. It's not like it turns people into raging lunatics who are a threat to society.:D

As for the harder stuff, like coke, meth, and heroin, I see no reason to legalize those.

And I'm not really sure where shrooms, acid, etc. fall in the greater scheme of things.

• Members

And I'm not really sure where shrooms, acid, etc. fall in the greater scheme of things.

I don't think those drugs should be illegal, simply because they aren't abusable.

I mean, how many people do you know who are jonsin' for their second hit of acid so they start breaking into houses?

Shrooms follow the same logic as weed, too... if it grows in the earth...

• Members
I don't those drugs should be illegal, simply because they aren't abusable.

I mean, how many people do you know who are jonsin' for their second hit of acid so they start breaking into houses?

Shrooms follow the same logic as weed, too... if it grows in the earth...

This is hot news around here. The government is seeking to ban shrooms after several incidents of people wandering around naked on highways or jumping off buildings while high on shrooms.

Just for a historical perspective, heroin was marketed as a medicine alongside aspirin...

BayerHeroin.png

• Members

Not all recreational drugs are illegal. Not all therapeutic drugs are legal. Legality is a measure of the political winds at the time, and is generally a concept only loosely related to ethicality or morality. Some drugs are legal, or illegal, only for historical and politcal reasons. Others, there are pretty good reasons for (granted, still "social engineering" in a way that perhaps doesn't belong in a supposedly free country).

• Members

I watched a DVD about how to not get busted with some friends a month or so ago. It was dumb, but had some damn good points/ideas. I think there were like under 20 marijuana related deadly car accidents in 2005 and some huge number or alcohol related deadly car accidents. I'm not saying meth, heroin and acid should be legal, but they need to lighten up. I was talking to my dads cop friend and if your caught with under an ounce they just hand you a date to show up in court and if you don't show up then they arrest you.

• Members

I watched a DVD about how to not get busted with some friends a month or so ago. It was dumb, but had some damn good points/ideas. I think there were like under 20 marijuana related deadly car accidents in 2005 and some huge number or alcohol related deadly car accidents. I'm not saying meth, heroin and acid should be legal, but they need to lighten up. I was talking to my dads cop friend and if your caught with under an ounce they just hand you a date to show up in court and if you don't show up then they arrest you.

That may be true for you, but weed laws are different across the country. I know that it's practically legal in NYC and Ann Arbor, but in New Jersey, for example, i think you can serve time for possession of just a gram.

I agree with those who proposed law reforms, because it's bunk that weed shoudl carry the same penalties as murder etc.

Why are drugs users often seen as the dregs of society? I'm going to assert again what i said earlier, i think that, by principal, there is nothing wrong with modifying your state of mind for recreational purposes, and I don't see why people blow it out of proportion. If someone really wants to take heroin, that's their perogative, and they should be free to do so; when they start breaking the law otherwise, that's when the police should get involved and take control of the situation. Think about it, the government could even use profits from drug sales to fund rehab for OD'ers, without putting such a strain on taxpayers. Think about it: legalize drugs, lower taxes!

• Members

...I'm going to assert again what i said earlier, i think that, by principal, there is nothing wrong with modifying your state of mind for recreational purposes, and I don't see why people blow it out of proportion. If someone really wants to take heroin, that's their perogative, and they should be free to do so; when they start breaking the law otherwise, that's when the police should get involved and take control of the situation....

Ever heard the expression "An ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure."? How about "Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile."?

I'm not going to take my chances by giving a smack addict an inch...

• Members

OK, after reading opinions and some bull{censored} of why drugs are illegal, i'll post the truth...OIL (period)
Yes i know it don't make no sense, it's up to you to research it.
But i will give you a hint...War and Hemp...that should start you on your way to connecting the dots.

• Members

All one has to do is watch a few episodes of Cops and the answers will be galringly simple to discern.

In all honesty, I believe it is another example of government control over the individual.

A handful of idiots die on one kind of pill and there is a mad rush to make it illegal.

The opium based drugs are highly addiciting. The problem is they are also powerful therapeutic agents so only medical professionals can legally dispense them. Far too many like them.

The psychadelics are very powerful and many cannot handle them. They don't know this until it's too late. The have little clinical or therapeutic use. LSD wasn't illegal until the 1970's.

The amphetamines have clinical use but they have too many negative side effects.

The fentanyls are fairly recent on the market and were used as a substitute or replacement for opiates. Anesthesiologists like them because they are useful in many kinds of surgical procedures. They were not made illegal until the 1980's when people started making their own versions. These too are highly toxic.

I think the more important question is this. Does anyone here actually believe we have privacy rights?

The last vestige is healthcare. Once Hitlery-care is enacted you can kiss the rest good bye.

• Members
I don't know about you guys, but I much prefer the high-quality herb that's easily obtainable on the black market over what would likely be garbage product if the government was in the bidness of regulating it.

If Philip Morris went into the pot business, we'd wind up with crappy J's full of sticks and seeds and ameliorates and bulk fillers; I'll take my illegal bud any day over that {censored}.

As for legalizing the other {censored}, won't happen. Coke and meth and heroin are dangerous, and I don't want them to be legal. I would like to see major reforms in how offenders are punished, however. Long prison terms for simple possession are {censored}ing bull{censored}. It would be better to invest the money spent on housing addicts as inmates on aggressive treatment options that would allow them to be productive members of society.

C7

we agree on something:wave:

• Members
Just for a historical perspective, heroin was marketed as a medicine alongside aspirin...

I find that funny, yet disturbing at the same time. I saw the whole history channel special on the history of narcotics and it gave the same story about much of it being legal over-the-counter medication until the gov't banned it. When heroin was first extracted from opium, it was put in cough syrup. As it turns out, heroin is probably the greatest cough suppressor in modern medicine. It just happens to do lots of other things really well too. :D

Another image from back in the day...
heroin-anzeige.gif

• Members

Because we live in a Puritanical society. And the Protestant work ethic involves toiling in tedium and not enjoying life. Mind-altering drugs are seen as very dangerous to people with that mindset.

Emre

Not true. Judge Richard Posner makes a compelling case that says the US is going in a lot of directions all at once. A person can be as puritanical as a North Carolina suburb, or as debauched as Times Square in the '80s.

We aren't just puritanical. Neither are we just debauched. There are other nations that are more in line with one or the other.

• Moderators

Not true. Judge Richard Posner makes a compelling case that says the US is going in a lot of directions all at once. A person can be as puritanical as a North Carolina suburb, or as debauched as Times Square in the '80s.

We aren't just puritanical. Neither are we just debauched. There are other nations that are more in line with one or the other.

If I could trade my brain for anyone else's on the planet, I think I'd chose Posner's.

• Members

A couple points/perspectives:
Jimmy Carter got a ton of crap because he proposed the rule of thumb for drug laws should be that the legal punishment shouldn't be harsher than the consequences of use itself. Of course, he was referring to hemp.

You can't patent a plant extract, only the extraction process. You can, however, patent a synthesized molecule. Less than 0.001% of pharmaceuticals are "rational sythesis", meaning that were synthesized from the beginning. Rather, the companies isolate naturally occuring compounds, find the most potent portion of them, then synthesize and patent it. The consequence is an drug thousands of time more potent the plant's, but with a corresponding resistance and dependancy. Lilly's chemists used to carry a briefcase of vials when vacationing, scooping up plants and soils wherever they went in the hope of finding a useful compound.

LSD was the most successful drug in treatment of alcholism, marraige counselling and a host of other psychologic problems, ever. It was outlawed in 1965. It was usually administered in as a single dosage, with about six months of counselling leading up to the big (about six hours) session. There was about three months of counseling afterward, to make sure the new perspectives took hold.

• Members

beforelock.jpg

Drugs are illegal because of money. In the end, it's all about money.

You wouldn't want something as simple as even marijuana to be legal because Philip Morris already has lined up manufacture and distribution rights should it become legal.

And you wouldn't want PM controlling it.

I don't do illegal drugs because it's not worth losing my job/education.

But it's all about money. Money. Money.

• Members
I find that funny, yet disturbing at the same time. I saw the whole history channel special on the history of narcotics and it gave the same story about much of it being legal over-the-counter medication until the gov't banned it. When heroin was first extracted from opium, it was put in cough syrup. As it turns out, heroin is probably the greatest cough suppressor in modern medicine. It just happens to do lots of other things really well too.
:D

Another image from back in the day...

heroin-anzeige.gif

So you saw those too? I was surprised at how relatively "soon" ago all of those things were actually banned. I figured it'd been for a while now. Not only the last 30-40 years.

• Members

While it's still illegal for recreational use, marijuana's legal for medicinal purposes here in Alberta, but can only be prescribed by pain doctors. I've semi-debated with myself about trying to get some for my headaches, because apparently a joint at night can work wonders for migraines (which would be one less headache type to worry about), but I'd have problems getting it because I can still function with headaches, so my pain apparently isn't an issue. Also, the constant exposure to smoke would probably set off major allergic reactions for me, so I'd be having lots of nosebleeds.

Archived