WOT: Why are drugs illegal?

AunShui

• Members

DISCLAIMER! PLEASE READ!: As per forum policy, this thread does not endorse, condone, or approve of drug use. I'd like everyone to take a moment to read the forum's drug policy, which i have reproduced below:

3. Drug related threads / threads relating to criminal activity

All threads that are created specifically about drug use will be deleted. The reason for this is to protect both HC and it's users from getting into trouble with their respective local law authorities. The internet is NOT a secure means of communication, and it is possible for people's identities to be found using the internet. You should be aware that, for 99% of us, drug use is illegal in the countries we live in, and by admitting to said activities on a forum like this (and particularly if you also display photos of performing these activities!), you are confessing to committing a crime.

Note for admins/mods: As previously stated, i am not saying that drugs are OK by creating this thread. The purpose of this discussion is to debate why substances are illegal, not how many/what we've done; in no way is this thread meant to implicated any contributors in illegal acts, as having an opinion on the legality of drugs does not necessarily mean one supports them. If i am overstepping the line, my sincerest apologies, and please feel free to remove this thread with all due haste.

Now, on to my question.

Recently, i've been giving a lot of thought as to why drugs are illegal. Sure, you can cite me horror stories about addiction, drug-related crimes, broken homes, etc, but fundamentally, that doesn't change the fact that a recreational drug user is doing what he does to have fun and/or forget about his problems for a little while. Well, how does that, at least fundamentally, differ from playing bass for fun? Or going out to do any number of other recreational activities? Boiled down, my question is: Why has someone decided that altering one's state of mind is an inappropriate form of recreation?

• Members

Hmmm.

When you are doing drugs, you have a chance of injuring/killing/causing harm to another human being because of the effect of the drugs. Unless you are Lug, playing the bass isn't going to harm anyone.

Good question.

True, but you're just as likely to break your neck and/or the necks of those around you at a metal concert, and you don't see DEA officers arresting people because they're in a mosh pit.

• Members

Hmmm.

When you are doing drugs, you have a chance of injuring/killing/causing harm to another human being because of the effect of the drugs. Unless you are Lug, playing the bass isn't going to harm anyone.

Good question.

Well Nicotene is a drug..so is Alcohol. Do you know the most addictive substance on the planet is? You guessed it, Nicotene! So why are cigs and booze legal and weed isn't? Every drug does damage to the body and has the potential to be used when they shouldn't be (I.E. Driving).

Dan

• Members

Boiled down, my question is: Why has someone decided that altering one's state of mind is an inappropriate form of recreation?

Because we live in a Puritanical society. And the Protestant work ethic involves toiling in tedium and not enjoying life. Mind-altering drugs are seen as very dangerous to people with that mindset.

I really think that's what it boils down to.

FWIW, I don't do drugs. Never have...just not my thing. But I think people are smart enough and good enough to make their own decisions about how they want to live their lives. If someone wants to have a little smoke after work one night, I don't see why anyone else should freak out over it.

Emre

• Members

There was a 3 or 4 part miniseries on the major drugs or types and how and why they became illegal.

Quite interesting as to how it came about, considering so many were legal at the turn of the last century. Worth watching if you can find it again.

• Members

Because we live in a Puritanical society. And the Protestant work ethic involves toiling in tedium and not enjoying life. Mind-altering drugs are seen as very dangerous to people with that mindset.

I really think that's what it boils down to.

Emre

I would totally agree with you if this were 200 years ago, but I think that America has pretty firmly gotten past that stage. Look at all other aspects of life that were controlled then (music, sexuality, surpressing of emotions in favor of making everything seem "OK," etc). Plus, let's not forget that heroin was legal and readily available for a good part of the early 20th century, and it was customary for ancient south americans to chew the coca leaf (basis for cocaine and other amphetamines) as part of a daily afternoon ritual.

What is it about today that make drugs illegal?

• Members

...forget about his problems for a little while.

There are plenty of narcotics (and otherwise) that you can pick up with a prescription that will help you forget about your problems for a little while. I doubt we need many more of them.

That said, I have plenty of arguments as to why certain drugs should be legalized. But when it comes down to it... people only want CERTAIN drugs to be legalized because they use it strictly for recreational purposes. And that's when drugs start becoming harmful to you and others.

• Members

I know this is going to turn into a flame war, but I'd like to try and answer the question reasonably and maturely.

Basically, the answer to "why are drugs illegal?" depends on the drug.

Take marijuana, for example, it's largely (but not completly) a result of cotton farmers not wanting hemp, a superior material in many ways, to take over the market. It was also an act of racism against Mexican and African immigrants in the early 1900's.

Heroin, similarily, was a reaction to Asian immigrants who brought opium in from China.

It should be noted that both drugs were legal at one point, and encouraged by society!

In modern times, the answer becomes more complex. Drugs like marijauna, heroin, and pyshadelics are largly illegal because of grandfathering - they were illegal before, so they still are.

New drugs, like meth, are made illegal for many reasons. Meth is a pretty dangerous drug and I support it being controlled. But governments have become taken with the "War on Drugs" and aren't willing, for whatever reason, to admit that certain drugs are largely harmless, at least compared to our current vices, alcohol and nicotine.

• Members

I know this is going to turn into a flame war, but I'd like to try and answer the question reasonably and maturely.

Basically, the answer to "why are drugs illegal?" depends on the drug.

Take marijuana, for example, it's largely (but not completly) a result of cotton farmers not wanting hemp, a superior material in many ways, to take over the market. It was also an act of racism against Mexican and African immigrants in the early 1900's.

Heroin, similarily, was a reaction to Asian immigrants who brought opium in from China.

It should be noted that both drugs were legal at one point, and encouraged by society!

In modern times, the answer becomes more complex. Drugs like marijauna, heroin, and pyshadelics are largly illegal because of grandfathering - they were illegal before, so they still are.

New drugs, like meth, are made illegal for many reasons. Meth is a pretty dangerous drug and I support it being controlled. But governments have become taken with the "War on Drugs" and aren't willing, for whatever reason, to admit that certain drugs are largely harmless, at least compared to our current vices, alcohol and nicotine.

Whatever, I don't listen to an idiot racist like you who knows nothing! Get out of here with your calm, logical conversation.

Stupidhead.

• Members

From a historical perspective:

As man has toiled long under an agrarian age, drugs (for pleasure) were rare, only for those with time on their hands.

As The Industrial Revolution dawned and then progressed more people were living in cities, doing mind numbing work. Tonics and Elixirs that unknowingly to the buying public contained, cocaine, opium, heroin, morphine and sold as the latest "wonder tonic", that would pep you up, or conversely, relax you.

The passage of The Harrison Narcotiocs act in 1914 was actually a tax law, but formed the basis of what we have today. Note: things were indeed spinning out of control at the time. People were addicted to heroin and/or cocaine at an alarming rate.

Marijuana was made illegal in 1933, thanks to the then drug czar Harry Anslinger, who was married to a DuPont, which company nervously introduced nylon that same year.

By the 1940s we allowed and accepted that lawmakers need to protect us from ourselves, and thus has continued unabated to the present day.

Drugs are illegal because mankind has not grown up. That's it in my book.

• Members

Yet millions of people take LEGAL sleeping pills in this nation, even though those pills can cause the exact same problems. And tens of millions drink alcohol, which despite a never-ending record of being involved in fatal accidents remains legal.

Hmmm.

Good question.

So your reasoning does not hold up.

The question needs to be modified: Why are certain drugs illegal? And to obtain your answer, go research the organizations that belong to The Partnership for a Drug-Free America. You'll find major pharmaceuticals in there, along with major alcohol producers/distributors.

• Members

What is it about today that make drugs illegal?

That's the easy question to answer. Once something has been outlawed, it's VERY difficult to make it legal again. Throw in the zombie-like citizenry who mindlessly buy into the dominant socio-religious dogma ("drugs are bad," "speed kills," "one nation under God," "guns are evil," etc.) and it takes an awful lot of work to change the laws back.

Civil liberties are VERY easy to lose. Unfortunately, once lost, they are much more difficult to win back. We shouldn't give up our rights so easily...but we do. Just promise people "safety" and they'll line up to hand over their civil rights.

Emre

• Members

Yet millions of people take LEGAL sleeping pills in this nation, even though those pills can cause the exact same problems. And tens of millions drink alcohol, which despite a never-ending record of being involved in fatal accidents remains legal.

Exactly. That just goes to show that banning certain things and taking away certain civil liberties is a totally illogical "solution" to a manufactured "problem."

Emre

• Members

I don't know about you guys, but I much prefer the high-quality herb that's easily obtainable on the black market over what would likely be garbage product if the government was in the bidness of regulating it.

If Philip Morris went into the pot business, we'd wind up with crappy J's full of sticks and seeds and ameliorates and bulk fillers; I'll take my illegal bud any day over that {censored}.

As for legalizing the other {censored}, won't happen. Coke and meth and heroin are dangerous, and I don't want them to be legal. I would like to see major reforms in how offenders are punished, however. Long prison terms for simple possession are {censored}ing bull{censored}. It would be better to invest the money spent on housing addicts as inmates on aggressive treatment options that would allow them to be productive members of society.

C7

• Members

I don't know about you guys, but I much prefer the high-quality herb that's easily obtainable on the black market over what would likely be garbage product if the government was in the bidness of regulating it.

If Philip Morris went into the pot business, we'd wind up with crappy J's full of sticks and seeds and ameliorates and bulk fillers; I'll take my illegal bud any day over that {censored}.

As for legalizing the other {censored}, won't happen. Coke and meth and heroin are dangerous, and I don't want them to be legal. I would like to see major reforms in how offenders are punished, however. Long prison terms for simple possession are {censored}ing bull{censored}. It would be better to invest the money spent on housing addicts as inmates on aggressive treatment options that would allow them to be productive members of society.

C7

But see then that's not "fair" (and of course I'm in jest here) to the other drug guys. I don't see pot being legal across the board if the other ones aren't, IMO.

Plus, guys like me who weed has no effect on need something too! :cry:

• Members

C7

well if it was legal you could just grow your own.

Dan

• Members

C7

And yet you advocate the freebasing of cookie dough...

Archived