Going Fretless, Baby

degroove

• Members

I found the answer to me quest finally:

Electric Uprights Basses I have tried have been cool but impractible for my switching from bass guitar to upright. I took 3 months of Upright Lessons and realized it was way harder to transition to that instrument than I wanted.

So, I was looking for a fretless. I wanted:

Not normal Jazz bass style

Non-rosewood fretboard

Not too expensive

I came upon a winning contender. Take 1 P bass Special + Lined Ebony Fretless Jazz Replacement Neck + Shaller Tuners = Woo-hoo.

I won it on the Bay:

Front:

738f_1.JPG

Back:

76c8_1.JPG

Headstock:

74da_1.JPG

Can't wait for it to get here.

Cost - 549 Shipped.

The Allparts necks are expensive - around 240 for a fretless lined replacement neck with Ebony fingerboard and $120 for the tuners.

:wave:

• Members

I found the answer to me quest finally:

Electric Uprights Basses I have tried have been cool but impractible for my switching from bass guitar to upright. I took 3 months of Upright Lessons and realized it was way harder to transition to that instrument than I wanted.

So, I was looking for a fretless. I wanted:

Not normal Jazz bass style

Non-rosewood fretboard

Not too expensive

I came upon a winning contender. Take 1 P bass Special + Lined Ebony Fretless Jazz Replacement Neck + Shaller Tuners = Woo-hoo.

I won it on the Bay:

Front:

738f_1.JPG
Back:

76c8_1.JPG
Headstock:

74da_1.JPG

Can't wait for it to get here.

Cost - 549 Shipped.

The Allparts necks are expensive - around 240 for a fretless lined replacement neck with Ebony fingerboard and $120 for the tuners.

:wave:

fender sells basses almost identical to that for that same price as well.....

still a sexy beast! wanna hear some sound clips!

• Members

That is awesome. It has many things I look for in a bass. PJ pickups, no control plate, jack on the side.

The string tree has got to go though.

And the Nostradaumus post award goes too...

You!

He emailed yesterday to tell me he did not ship it yet. He intended on replacing that string tree and had forgotten to do that!!!!

:eek:

He is going to replace that before he sends it to me!!

This is EERY!

Play the lottery today, dude. You know the futre. :thu:

Also - ANybody know if the pups are passive or active? I was assuming passive with no control plate on the back...

It is an MIM Pbass Special. Fender has a Pbass special going for 599 now, but I have no clue where it was made.

Also - No Fenders that I am aware of offer anything other than Rosewood fretboards on the fretless. I have never see Ebony at all.

Ebony tends to incease price a lot.

• Members

If memory serves me well, that is one of the earlier MIM Pbass specials that were made from the mid 90s up until a few years ago until it was discontinued and an almost identical model with active electronics and vintage noiseless pickups was introduced to replace it.

The only bad thing that I've read about it is the lack of shielding and the anodized pickguard can create some major noise problems, but that's just what I've read in various places.

The neck is obviously not original, but as long as it's straight and there are no dead spots, it's all good.

Archived