i just purchased a suit at walmart.

jonathan_matos5

• Members

That's bull{censored} IMO. Come to Coos Bay. This place is a {censored} hole and if it didn't have Wal-Mart, the jobs would be few and far between. Since Wal-Mart has come into town the economic status has improved greatly. It's brought other businesses in and increased the cash flow into the local economy by all the tourists that come to the dunes. Wal-Mart is a good thing here for sure. Not to mention they make having a kid actually possible with their cheap clothes and diaper and formula prices. Instead of paying 20 bucks for pants that m daughter will grow out of in a month, I pay 6 or 8. Thats a huge savings. Most everything is a couple bucks cheaper and it has saved my family quite a bit. Is WalMart evil? I don't really know as you can't get a straight scoop from an unbiased party. All information about Wal-Mart is either from the lovers or the haters. Personally I don't care, I have bigger problems than a Wal-Mart.

Dan

Its not bull{censored}. I'll even find the peer reviewed academic study for you to read when I have a time if you'd like. It involved sampling the economic and employment activity

in different counties before and after a walmart went in. It may not be true in every case, but a statistical average is a statistical average.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now this one is just not true. It can be statistically shown that Walmart most likely provides very few jobs that would not have existed otherwise.

In fact, in many areas that Wal Mart goes in to, it's pretty easy to show they often cause a net loss of jobs, particularly full-time jobs that provide benefits. They also seem to think they can violate state and federal labor laws with impunity.

• Members

Its not bull{censored}. I'll even find the peer reviewed academic study for you to read when I have a time if you'd like. It involved sampling the economic and employment activity

in different counties before and after a walmart went in. It may not be true in every case, but a statistical average is a statistical average.

That's fine..call up all the studies and statistics you want. In the case of Wal Mart and Coos Bay, it is a great thing to have them here. They have brought Coos Bay out of an economic slump that lasted close to 20 years, revitalized the local businesses and brought in new businesses.

I'm sure in bigger cities Wal-Mart doesn't lend a whole lot of anything as far as jobs, but I think it's an entirely different matter when speaking of small towns.

Dan

• Members

That's fine..call up all the studies and statistics you want. In the case of Wal Mart and Coos Bay, it is a great thing to have them here. They have brought Coos Bay out of an economic slump that lasted close to 20 years, revitalized the local businesses and brought in new businesses.

I'm sure in bigger cities Wal-Mart doesn't lend a whole lot of anything as far as jobs, but I think it's an entirely different matter when speaking of small towns.

Dan

Don't assume that all small towns benefit from Wal Mart's presence, there are many cases where it isn't so.

• Members

Don't assume that all small towns benefit from Wal Mart's presence, there are many cases where it isn't so.

I don't assume anything, but you both seem to assume that Wal-Mart is a bad thing in every case which it isn't and that they are the economical equivelent of the anti-christ. I can name three towns in Oregon that have Benefitted from a Wal Mart coming in. Can you name three towns that haven't? All I'm saying is that it isn't bad in every case.

As an edit: We have four mom and pop lumber and hardware shops, we have four grocery stores, and we have three auto parts places. They have the same amount of locally owned businesses as before Wal Mart.

Dan

• Members

Now this one is just not true. It can be statistically shown that Walmart most likely provides very few jobs that would not have existed otherwise.

I'm betting it depends on the location like Dan mentioned but yeah, I agree that it did nothing for my neighbourhood.

Walmart opened and later on a few businesses closed. One being a plant nursery. They hired 40 people or so and the 'plant' department at Walmart hires maybe 5 (including a cashier). The plants are in terrible condition when they come in, receive inadequate light and water when they're there and almost always have some sort of bug on them. Sure they're cheaper....

Another company was a toy store, a locally owned store. It hired 4 people, but also brought in hand made product from the community so it was a job for a few others but I don't know how many. All Gone. Now maybe that store owner and her employees can now work for less as a clerk and floor people or greeters, but Walmart doesn't have anything handmade from my community. However, you can buy Barbie 3 dollars cheaper at Walmart, so I guess that's all that matters.

I could continue, but I'll close instead with this. I don't care what kind of people shop at Walmart. I do however care that all these cool little shops with independently minded people are getting eating up and tossed aside.

I understand the power of the almighty dollar and I know that people would rather pay less than buy something cool and interesting or hand made. Money doesn't go very far and a person needs to save every penny they can. I get that. I just don't like it. I don't like companies that cater to that. I don't shop there if I don't have to.

• Members
:o

Its a simple blues Brothers like black suit.

I got the suit tie and shirt for just under $100
:cool:

All i need now is the hat
:)

Man,
I bought a suit, tie, shirt, belt, socks, and shoes from the Mens Warehousr all for $650!:eek:

I bet mine is nicer than yours....it better be:wave:

• Members

I'm betting it depends on the location like Dan mentioned but yeah, I agree that it did nothing for
my
neighbourhood.

Walmart opened and later on a few businesses closed. One being a plant nursery. They hired 40 people or so and the 'plant' department at Walmart hires maybe 5 (including a cashier). The plants are in terrible condition when they come in, receive inadequate light and water when they're there and almost always have some sort of bug on them. Sure they're cheaper....

Another company was a toy store, a locally owned store. It hired 4 people, but also brought in hand made product from the community so it was a job for a few others but I don't know how many. All Gone. Now maybe that store owner and her employees can now work for less as a clerk and floor people or greeters, but Walmart doesn't have anything handmade from my community. However, you can buy Barbie 3 dollars cheaper at Walmart, so I guess that's all that matters.

I could continue, but I'll close instead with this. I don't care what kind of people shop at Walmart. I do however care that all these cool little shops with independently minded people are getting eating up and tossed aside.

I understand the power of the almighty dollar and I know that people would rather pay less than buy something cool and interesting or hand made. Money doesn't go very far and a person needs to save every penny they can. I get that. I just don't like it. I don't like companies that cater to that. I don't shop there if I don't have to.

This is exactly why I don't shop Walmart, or even often large shops in general.

• Members
You belong to Wal*Mart Watch?

:wave:

Also, I do not own a suit, and never will. I've only worn a suit-type jacket twice in my life... once for HS graduation, and last halloween when I was a Blues Brother myself! :thu:

Even when I go to the Symphony or the Theater or a wedding, black pants and a black shirt or sweater. That's dressed for me.

• Members

I buy lots of things at Walmart and Home Depot and Target and Lowes. They have great prices and contrary to the big corporation haters claims, everything is not made in China.

For instance soap, detergents, cleaning supplies, some sporting goods, and over the counter pharmacy supplies, batteries, are cheaper and they are the same brands you would find anywhere else.

I would also bet there are {censored}loads of small businesses across the country that have caused someone else to go out of business. In a competitive society there are always winners and losers.

I have seen many small shops carry the Made in China label. It's not just the big evil corporate skunks that have them. And what about the tourist traps? Just about everything they have is Chinese, including the 'American artifacts'.
:rolleyes:

There is plenty of dirt and dirty laundry to go around but meanwhile, I do my shopping wherever I can get the best price.

Archived