lets talk Tributes, G&L 2000

dDigitalPimp

• Members

so after trying every 5 string bass that is currently in a guitar store in my county i will be sticking to 4 strings for now. i want to get a decent bass as i have gotten much better since getting my first bass in march and my band will be playing out soon.

i am looking at the G&L tribute 2000. i have tracked one down about an hour's ride south from where i am at now and will prolly go play it on saturday.

so who has one, i would like to hear some pros and cons of the tribute line from G&L. thanks in advance.

• Members

I have one I bought used that I'm thinking of selling, honestly. The early ones had some issues with scratchy pots, which should be apparent - mine has this issue, which is not necessarily fun. Other than that, they're very versatile, nice basses.

Really, I've A/B'ed American and Tribute G&L's, both guitars and basses, and while I found a noticeable difference, it's small, and to many people would not be worth the upcharge. Good values, IMO.

Dustin

• Members

for those of you that own them, do you prefer with preamp or without. my first bass had some issues with the preamp eatting the battery (had a kill switch installed) and i am a little iffy on active pres now. i like the idea of the switch for passive/active.

There's a sound difference and I generally like active without the treble boost. Both settings sound good, however, but I prefer the stronger presence the Active side has. And my battery has been going strong for a while. No issues here.

Dustin

• Members

How are the new Indonesian Tributes compare to the Korean ones. There is one interesting (L-2500) in mint condition, black-blueburst,for $400. I was jumping on it, but have found it is now in basswood, and the wood grain is not the same. So, are we talking here of a second grade Tribute? Or are they equal in quality to the other Tributes?

• Members
for those of you that own them, do you prefer with preamp or without. my first bass had some issues with the preamp eatting the battery (had a kill switch installed) and i am a little iffy on active pres now. i like the idea of the switch for passive/active.

My take on preamp/active any more is I like them only on 5 string basses to help the B strings presence. Other than that, I have no use for them.

• Members

There's a sound difference and I generally like active without the treble boost. Both settings sound good, however, but I prefer the stronger presence the Active side has. And my battery has been going strong for a while. No issues here.

Dustin

Exactly my preference when I had my L2k Tribute. Great bass tonally and build-wise. Sold it to skatalite to finance a G&L L-5500.

• Members

Well, you could go for a L-2500 tribby like I have. The only problem with some of the older tributes is an issue with scratchy pots that some have said has been rectified. Other than that, the sound is comparable in every way with a U.S. made G&L.

• Members

I only sold my L2000 Tribute for one reason, the neck was too think. I like skinny, jazz like necks. I plan to buy an American made L2000 soon with the skinny neck. The tribute L2000s are only available with the thicker necks.

They are awesome basses with many, many usable sounds. They are tone chameleons.

Archived