Keeping an eye out for hollowbodies

PaulyWally

• Members

Anything specific I should watch for?

I don't see a whole lotta big brand hollow body electrics around here. So I'm never entirely sure of what I might be getting in something I've never heard of.

If you're not adverse to going Samick, I vote for the Royale series of GB designed basses. If you want THAT sort of sound, I think it'll work nicely. A Rogue VB-1 will do you REALLY well also, better that the Royale, once you get tapes on it. Hard for me to get into the Rogue, though, due to the size.

Higher end? Eh. Don't really know.

• Members

Epiphone Jack Cassidy

Thread over. :D

Seriously, Ibanez Artcore basses are also worth looking into.

If you can find one, check out a '60s Harmony H-22. They're shortscale and have a neck like a baseball bat, but the tone is very nice---deep, woody, and with a surprising amount of growl.

+1 on Karl's Epi recommendations. The '70s MIJ EA 260s are nice. :love:

• Members

Epiphone Jack Cassidy

+1. A unique design with an active humbucker. Sounds great.

Also, every hollowbody Ibanez, be it a bass or a guitar, has thoroughly impressed me not only soundwise, but in terms of build quality and feel. At this point, I'd rather an Artcore semihollow than a P. I'm on a major hollowbody kick right now and I think I'm hooked for life...

• Members

DeArmond made their version of the Starfire bass before Fender discontinued them. Prices are going up on the late 90's early 00's DeArmonds, but they still should be cheaper than the comparable Guilds.

• Members

DeArmond made their version of the Starfire bass before Fender discontinued them. Prices are going up on the late 90's early 00's DeArmonds, but they still should be cheaper than the comparable Guilds.

I saw a DeArmond Starfire for $800 BIN on eBay, how much do the Guilds typically go for?

• Members

There's a nice looking Artcore on ebay right now for a good price:

8864_12.JPG

I'm sorely tempted to go for it, but I really really need to clean house before buying any more gear.

Those are great basses. I love mine. I got rid of my '66 Epi Rivioli for it. I just wanted the long scale. The Artcore seems to be pretty "airy P bass" sounding to me. I thought of the Cassidy, but I hadn't played one I liked enough and/or found a good enough deal on one yet. And of course, I'd love to have a Lakland HoBo. My ultimate would be a Gibby EB-650 though.

Archived