Opinions: putting together a cheap rig.

mabus013

• Members

Looking for some opinions here. I'm looking for the cream of the low-end bass amps here - 300 bucks max. So far, I'm looking at two options just from what I was seeing on musician's fiend: the Marshall MB30 for two hundred, or the GK 'Brat Pack' half stack for 300.

I've been playing guitar for ten years, and I've always {censored}ed around on bass and often jam with other musicians on bass. I've got an opportunity to go on tour this upcoming summer as a bass player, so I'm going to put together a cheap-o rig. I'm the king at doing this with guitars, and I'm sure I'll have no problems doing so on bass, but I figured I'd see what kind of experience you all might have had with these particular pieces.

I'm looking to get a big, warm rock tone with varying levels of aggression available. Unless something else comes up, likely I'm going to be buying an Epiphone Les Paul Special bass. I might also pick up an SX PJ bass for more traditional tones, but this is the bass I'd like to go forward with - it's almost as if they'd anticipated what I wanted before I even thought about switching instruments - set neck, Fender scale (most Gibson style basses I've found use short scale lengths), good looks, and not too many people play a Les Paul bass. Plus, at 250, it's the best thing rolling as far as I can tell. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive that I've seen so far, and it shouldn't be hard to upgrade later. EMG makes pickups that drop in, and I'm even thinking of breaking out the router and going with one (maybe two!) of the Dimarzio Model One pickups (originally intended as a replacement for the original style Gibson bass pickups).

I'm looking for opinions on the Marshall MB30 and Gallien-Kruger half stack package - both seem like they'd fit the bill. The Marshall is way more portable, supposedly louder than you'd think a 30 watt amp would be, and could always be miked or augmented with a power amp and separate cab. The GK would be gig ready, but isn't as portable and is that much more expensive.

I have a Crate SPA-200 guitar power amp sitting around, and I was thinking of just getting a 4x10 and using one of my Tri-ACs as a preamp until I can afford to splurge on the new bass version, which I think is really going to be the basis of my setup - I use the Tri-AC for my guitar tones, and it makes any amp your amp, and I think the bass equivalent will be much the same. Plus, Tech 21 has a good reputation for tones, especially overdriven ones, and having three options at your feet sounds pretty good to me.

If this is a little long, I'm just trying to be specific. I'm pretty sure which route I'm going to take - the Marshall seems like a good stopgap to fill the basic needs for practicing and jamming, and I can always put together a bigger rig later. I might even be able to finagle a sponsorship - I'm not going to say who, but the band I'm going to be playing with is an underground legend, and I don't see it being a problem to find someone to cough up some instruments, but that's then, and I have to practice in the meantime.

• Members

It's a reinterpretation of sixties rock, updated with more modern touches. Think taking some stuff off of the Nuggets compilation and cranking it up a bit.

I can always dial the aggression back, but I want to be able to get it in the first place. I'm interested in seeing if some forum members have had experience with the models specified, or have some suggestions as to something similar, new or used.

Unfortunately, the bass forum seems to be lacking a for sale/trade thread, or I'd just see what comes up.

I think I'd be more interested in finding some combos that have a good, built in overdrive capability - I think I'm going to end up running the new programmable Bass Driver DI through a power amp in the end. It's been working wonderfully for my guitar, and should do so for the bass - I already have a power amp that runs 200 watts bridged at 8 ohms, so that'll get me by and when I need more power I just get a better power amp. I might just try to find a 1x10 or 1x12 bass cab and worry about getting something bigger when the time comes.

• Moderators

We don't have spam threads here, there is a separate for sale forum.

Your local craigslist will be a great source of instruments and amps. With a budget that low you are going to do WAY better going used. In fact, a used Peavey rig will be much better in that price range than anything you find new.

• Members

Your local craigslist will be a great source of instruments and amps. With a budget that low you are going to do WAY better going used. In fact, a used Peavey rig will be much better in that price range than anything you find new.

word.

a used peavey, kustom tucknroll,or used preamp/your current power amp/used 215 cab will get you waaay better tones for less money than the new stuff you're looking at.

• Members

We don't have spam threads here, there is a separate for sale forum.

+1 here; craigslist has always worked for me. I just saw a GK400rb for $200.

• Members

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but niether of those amps are going to do it I haven't played either but I have heard them.Now as far as the bass goes the EPI will. back to amps for what your looking to do 300.00 isn't much look for a peavey tnt used. touring rig even an entry level rig will be 2-3 times you budget. You are going to want at least 150 watts and IMO probably something like 200-400 watts. JMO

• Members

Yeah, well, this is the kind of information I'm looking for. I figured that the Marshall was going to maybe be a cool practice amp but not enough for live use by far (but there's always the external amp/speaker cab route, as well). The GK stuff I'm kinda 'eh' on, seems like it's a step up from a power amp but that's about it, as far as tone goes. I know they're solid and good for slap, but they've never really appealed to me.

I was actually looking at these cheap assed Drive 15" speaker cabs they have. That would get me rolling for now and I could just upgrade later - I think the cab is like 80 bucks with an Eminence speaker. That power amp throws a few cheaper options into the mix for me - I'm thinking of dicking around with one of my Tri-A.C. pedals, my Alesis nanocomp, the power amp and whatever speaker cab I can find. Mess around with some mild eq curves and relatively clean Marshall settings and see what I can cook up - I've surprised myself before. This would just be a stopgap measure to tide me over until I can afford to pop for that Programmable Bass DI, and then the real fun can begin...

I haven't had much luck on the local level as far as used gear goes - the local pawn shops don't have much in the way of bass stuff (of course cheap 4x12s are stacked up for the taking precisely when I don't need one), and the local shops for the most part are on the cheesy side. I'm thinking of having a friend take me to Guitar Center so I can try out that Epi and the two combo amps in question. The Marshall would be ideal if the sounds are all right - the Ashdown looks like a good option too, but I'd have to see how heavy it ends up being. Having done my share of traveling, I'm starting to appreciate the virtues of a small, light amp that gets 'loud enough' - you figure, how much stage volume do you need if you have a good PA? Meanwhile, I've had my share of dragging Marshall tube heads and gigantic pedalboard cases that feel like they're filled with lead through bus stations and airports - simpler, lighter, better, can always get something bigger.

I think it'd funny as hell to have a little combo on an amp stand up there, visually, even if there was some kind of 'real' rig hidden away out of sight pumping out the sound. Have both the guitar players looking like they're plugged into some Orange Crush 10's :). I'm thinking that some kind of monster SVT 8x10 setup would be visually inappropriate for a garage rock band like this, but I'm trying to dial back my natural tendencies a bit (which go from acoustic to straight up thrash) and not be sticking out like a sore thumb, (like a metalhead in an old psychedelic band) but I have a feeling the whole package is going to be a modern delivery anyway. I'll just have to wait and see.

So hey, keep 'm coming, I hadn't noticed that Ashdown combo when I was looking, and I'm sure I'm missing some other neat little niche combos. It doesn't have to be expensive to sound good - my favorite little guitar amp right now is the Orange Crush 10, and that retails for all of 99 bucks brand new. Figure there has to be some kind of deal out there for the price range I'm looking at.

I'm thinking this might be it: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drive-Elite-B115XT-1X15-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=600569

• Members

Dude, get your cabs squared away first.

You've already got a bass preamp, and a barely passable power amp....

So spend your money wisely, and get good cabs/speaks first would be my advice.

You'll have something to build on - any rig you buy is going to need speakers, obviously - so get that out of the way first.

Don't waste your money on a combo, unless you're in a lounge act. It won't have the power to cut through on stage, plus you're stuck with it as is.

Archived