Hand Coordination and Speed

LoC

• Members

I know a lot of those players you mentioned are better than Cliff technically but it is the way he plays with his fingers that I want to replicate because of the sound you et from finger plucking and I just think it looks cool.

First - pick up a copy of "The Bass Book" - it's published by Bass Player magazine.

There's a section in there about how to properly position your right plucking hand, and how to attack the strings.

In a nutshell, your index and middle fingers should be nearly straight, and you pluck across the top of the strings. Never pull or hook your finger underneath the strings.

To move to lower strings, lower your entire hand - this way, the angle of the fingers is the same no matter which string you are plucking. Notice how Cliff does just that.

There are exercises in "The Bass Book" that specifically address string skipping and alternate plucking.

Do them for at least 20 minutes a day - you should be able to play at the same level as Cliff (at least plucking wise) in a couple of months at the most if you stick with it.

Note: your plucking hand thumb should rest on something at all times for max comfort and muting.

Use the edge of the pickup when playing on the E string - then as you move down to the A, D and G strings, let your thumb rest on the next lower string to mute it.

(If playing the A, rest your thumb on the E. If you have a fiver, you can rest your thumb on the low B when playing the E)

Archived