Hand Coordination and Speed

LoC

• Members

And don;t know about y'all, but I know that when I start trying to play wicked fast my hands start to lag. I know it takes practice and time to increase speed and accuracy but I seem to have hit a wall. My left (fretting) hand has a lot of trouble jumping strings from thickest to thinnest without a pause. As well, my right (finger plucking) hand experiences drag when moving from string to string from thickest to thinnest. I basically cannot move any faster and its getting extremely frustrating because my hands quite literally can not keep up with what I want to do. Also, I noticed that plucking way down near the bridge allows me to alleviate some of the lag because the strings are stiffer but I still am annoyed that I can not move at more extreme speeds.

• Members

I know it takes practice and time to increase speed and accuracy but I seem to have hit a wall.

I think you may have answered your own question. You need to work at your fingering technique (left and right hands) at slower speeds so you have it down when you want to go faster.

• Members

I think you may have answered your own question. You need to work at your fingering technique (left and right hands) at slower speeds so you have it down when you want to go faster.

yep.

people don't seem to realize it, but in order to go fast well, you have to go slow well first.

• Members

it is good for pinky strength:thu: pinky strength also helps the pinky to be more coordinated which in turn will help increase your speed. So, Ya they will help to a degree.

Just playing more with your pinky is a lot better, IMO...

• Members

The first 2 videos of this link shows you the idea.

You have to seperate the technique in 2 parts; one for left hand and one for right hand...combined it's called sweeping.

In the first one notice his plucking hand/fingers, he uses them like a pick strumming or sweeping for the right hand. Towards the end where it don't have the uumph of a deep bass sound..is due to the angle at which he's attacking the strings...he's almost plucking along the string lenght, instead of across the strings.

Second one the guy is using a pick.

The left hand in both videos are an essential part of the overall sweeping technique.

The same as "slap bass" or "thumping" as some peole call it, has 2 distinct parts, one is the thumb hitting the string down onto the fretboard, the second part is the other finger(s) index or ring finger pulling up on the string and letting hit down onto the fretboard...combined it's called Slapping.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=sweeping+bass+lessons+&search=Search

• Members

it is good for pinky strength:thu: pinky strength also helps the pinky to be more coordinated which in turn will help increase your speed. So, Ya they will help to a degree.

I guess you can make your fingers stronger for pressing the grip master, but it doesn't translate to the movement imposed on an actual fretboard.

I'd use one only for what Superbass said..to heal an injury.

• Members

Thanks for the link but I'm almost positive the people I watch, Cliff Burton, Robert Trujillo, not sure in Victor does it or not, do not do that. I listen/watch cliff on anesthesia or intro to Bells and he's fingers just move that god damn fast.

• Members

Thanks for the link but I'm almost positive the people I watch, Cliff Burton, Robert Trujillo, not sure in Victor does it or not, do not do that. I listen/watch cliff on anesthesia or intro to Bells and he's fingers just move that god damn fast.

That is called "Tapping" and a different technique altogether.

Or you may be seeing a what's called "Ten Finger" technique.

EDIT: the sweeping and ten finger techniques are taken from Classical Guitar and Flamenco styles.

• Members

You want speed? 2 words "The Buddha"...Bill Dickens.

Don't give up on watching this video, it's not much till halfway or so.

Over to the left scroll screen watch his "Buddha Rope" lesson.

And there are no shortcuts to get there...hours upon hours upon hours of practice...when you're sick and tired of that damn bass...guess what? pick that piece of {censored}in thing that belongs in the thrash up...and practice some more.

There is no easy way out...sorry :(

• Members

That is called "Tapping" and a different technique altogether.

Or you may be seeing a what's called "Ten Finger" technique.

EDIT: the sweeping and ten finger techniques are taken from Classical Guitar and Flamenco styles.

I know it is not tapping because it does not sound like it nor can i see it when i watch it.

Check it out:

This one is exactly what I am talking about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yUL8dEroAY4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ABhT2-WTQCo

I think he uses some soret of sweep technique here.

• Members

LoC, i apologise man...i posted stuff light years beyond what Cliff could do.

Believe it or not all he actually does in that top clip with him opening the song...is hammer-ons and pull offs. Yes he's good and pretty fast...theres a trick to what he's doing and one of these is all you need (plus a wall of cabs)

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1855&brandID=4

He has it sounding more or less like an overdriven guitar, that pedal i posted up there will get that exact sound. I have one...and with it i can shred like a guitar player...without blazing speed. The overdrive + distortion + pitch shift will have a bass sounding like a Strat.

You wouldn't believe what you can presently do on a clean sounding bass just by effects it can have sounding like you're doing twice as much.

• Members

tackle one area first

fretting comes after plucking imho

plucking will ground you in rhythm

fretting in melody and riffs

scales and arpeggii...they have worked for centuries

I learned fretting first. There was even a music instruction book called Fretting First back when I started.

• Members

I know a lot of those players you mentioned are better than Cliff technically but it is the way he plays with his fingers that I want to replicate because of the sound you et from finger plucking and I just think it looks cool.

Archived