Does anyone use the dbx 166XL Dual Compressor Limiter

tenyearsgone

• Members

like this one:confused:

330286jpg.jpg

this is where i'm a n00b - i'm not sure which input to hook this thing up to on my eden wt800, the aux out or where:confused:

can anyone suggest usable settings too? i cant believe how much of a n00b i am at compressors and hooking them up:D

:(

:cry:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

can anyone suggest usable settings too? i cant believe how much of a n00b i am at compressors and hooking them

Depends on what your goal is. To start with, switch the Expander/Gate stuff off (both knobs rolled all the way down). Here's a basic compressor setting you can start with...

Threshold: -15dB

Ratio: 2:1

Attack: 3-o'clock position

Release: 11-o'clock position

Output: matched to input volume level

OverEasy button: engaged

Auto button: engaged

Here's a basic limiter setting...

Threshold: -5dB

Ratio: 4-o'clock position

Attack: 10-o'clock position

Release: all the way off

Output: matched to input volume level

OverEasy button: disengaged

Auto button: engaged

What I do is set up Channel 1 as a compressor and Channel 2 as a limiter. I send the output of Channel 1 into the input of Channel 2 (i.e., "daisy chain"). That way, I can use a mild amount of compression for normal playing, but I still have an aggressive limiter to squash any massive transients that might damage my speakers at high volumes.

So, you plug your bass into your amp as usual. Your amp's preamp output (or effects send) goes into Channel 1. The Channel 1 (compressor) output goes into Channel 2 (limiter). Then, Channel 2's output goes back into your amp's power amp input (or effects return). If you have a wet:dry mix on your effects loop, set it to maximum wet, otherwise won't be sending your full signal through the effects loop.

BTW, I have a dbx 266XL. So it's not exactly the same as what you've got. I'm not really sure how the 166XL is different. Anyway, this should be a good starting point.

Emre

• Members

You can do it many different ways. The easiest way is to just plug your bass right into it, then send it's output into your amp's front end.

A more elegant solution would be to put it in your amp's effect loop.

Depends on what your goal is. To start with, switch the Expander/Gate stuff off (both knobs rolled all the way down). Here's a basic
compressor
setting you can start with...

Threshold:
-15dB

Ratio:
2:1

Attack:
3-o'clock position

Release:
11-o'clock position

Output:
matched to input volume level

OverEasy button:
engaged

Auto button:
engaged

Here's a basic
limiter
setting...

Threshold:
-5dB

Ratio:
4-o'clock position

Attack:
10-o'clock position

Release:
all the way off

Output:
matched to input volume level

OverEasy button:
disengaged

Auto button:
engaged

What I do is set up Channel 1 as a compressor and Channel 2 as a limiter. I send the output of Channel 1 into the input of Channel 2 (
i.e
., "daisy chain"). That way, I can use a mild amount of compression for normal playing, but I still have an aggressive limiter to squash any massive transients that might damage my speakers at high volumes.

So, you plug your bass into your amp as usual. Your amp's preamp output (or effects send) goes into Channel 1. The Channel 1 (compressor) output goes into Channel 2 (limiter). Then, Channel 2's output goes back into your amp's power amp input (or effects return). If you have a wet:dry mix on your effects loop, set it to maximum wet, otherwise won't be sending your full signal through the effects loop.

BTW, I have a dbx 266XL. So it's not exactly the same as what you've got. I'm not really sure how the 166XL is different. Anyway, this should be a good starting point.

Emre

sweet, i'll try this out and see what happens:thu:

• Members

If you have an effects send that is post preamp, insert it there, just before the power amp section...

Really?

I thought the only reason you'd want to do that is if you are running it as a limiter....

It's gonna be hard to use it as a compressor in that scenario cuz your input levels are gonna be through the roof comin out of that preamp :confused:

• Members

Really?

I thought the only reason you'd want to do that is if you are running it as a limiter....

It's gonna be hard to use it as a compressor in that scenario cuz your input levels are gonna be through the roof comin out of that preamp
:confused:

I'm even more confused by your post. Most rack compressors are made to be used with LL signals. Most FX loops use LL signals, so sticking it in the loop is the perfect/best place for it. It's still going to compress the signal...

• Members

I'm even more confused by your post. A rack compressor is made to be used with LL signals. An FX loop uses LL signals as well, so sticking it in the loop is the perfect place for it. It's still going to compress the signal...

No dude - he said stick it in the loop POST preamp.

You're preamp is gonna send a hot ass signal to that comp in that configuration.

According to the Bass Book - the only time you wanna run a compressor post-preamp is if you are using it as a limiter.

I've tried it myself and I believe that to be sound advice.

Try it yourself man - your input levels coming into the compressor are gonna be hot as hell - your threshold settings get all goofy - I mean basically you've got nothing to expand at that point, dig what I'm trying to say?

• Members

No dude - he said stick it in the loop POST preamp.

Where do you think an FX loop is located in the signal chain? They are post preamp. Yes...it's going to send a hot ass signal to it...but that's what it's designed for!!! It meant to receive/transmit Line Level signals...

I totally understand what you are saying, and I have tried it. I've tried every single piece of gear I own in the loop or out front to see what sounds better. Then I go as far as playing with their order from there to see what sounds better.

If I use any rack gear that has LL signals, they go in the loop. My compressor pedal on the other hand goes out front...which uses IL signals.

What bass book do you speak of?

• Members

Where do you think an FX loop is located in the signal chain? They are post preamp. Yes...it's going to send a hot ass signal to it...but that's what it's designed for!!! It meant to receive/transmit Line Level signals...

Which is why you don't want to put a compressor there.

For the best result in smoothing dynamic peaks - what a compressor does - you want to run it before your preamp.

If you want a limiter, then run it after your preamp.

That's how it works man - think about it - if you don't compress/limit the signal going into the preamp, then you've already created clipping there with the transient.

The compressor can then only limit the signal - the clipping is still there....

Compressor's don't belong in FX loops based on my experience - they work much better in front of the preamp.

• Members

Read

Then come back...I would have written it all myself, but I think it might be better to read it from someone else in this case.

Overdrive, distortion, and fuzz compress your signal already, so additional compression is often unnecessary, and may even interfere with the tone of the distorted signal.

So you may want to place the compressor before the distortion, or switch the compression off while using distortion.

I rest my case.

• Members

That is takling about a pedal compressor...not a rack compressor. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!! Read the section called:

Pedals versus rackmount, and how to use the effects loop of your amp

Dude, the bottom line is you wanna run the compressor before you have any transients clipping your preamp.

I don't care what anybody says about "preference" - in my experience, which is using a preamp as a source of distortion, the best place to run the compressor is before the preamp.

I've tried it all man and I know what works - running a compressor after the preamp does not work - it does not have anything to compress at that point and your distortion is already there.

"The Bass Book" is published by Bass Player magazine - all articles written by working pros.

They recommend using a compressor as a limiter post-preamp.

I've tried it - it's the only way it will work - like I said, at that point there is really nothing to compress - you've already hit the gain stage...

Most bass players when they think compression, they are looking for dynamic evenness between notes.

You get that by compressing the signal before it hits the preamp - that's just the best way in my experience, since preamps add their own distortion when they clip, typically.

• Members

I guess there is no "rule" - you can hook the damn thing anywhere you want.

I'm just saying that for me I've always gotten the best, most consistent results by running the compressor before any distortion.

Since my preamp gives me that, then logically I run it prior to that.

I've only got one fx loop - it's already in use for other things...can you run a comp in a fx loop - yeah sure I guess - use your ears and watch the levels.

Not all fx loops are created equal though - so who knows?

Bottom line is try both configs and see which gives the best result using known good settings.

Also, I do have active electronics so input levels are not an issue - if they were, into the fx loop it would go, by necessity.

If this is still not enough boost then you should use the

• Members

-snip-

All of what you posted is your experience and opinion. That's all well and good, but why do most effects guys prefer to put their rack comps in their FX loop if it doesn't work as well? Most FX guys will sit and tinker for hours to find what works best. I have tried it both ways as well...and depending on the device (rack or pedal) depends on where it goes in the chain.

FWIW: I have my pedal comp after the distortions and overdrives on my board, so I'm not in total disagreement with you. However, if I owned that comp, it would go in the loop.

• Members

All of what you posted is your experience and opinion. That's all well and good, but why do most effects guys prefer to put their rack comps in their FX loop if it doesn't work as well? Most FX guys will sit and tinker for hours to find what works best. I have tried it both ways as well...and depending on the device (rack or pedal) depends on where it goes in the chain.

That's just it - every rig is different and the only way to know what works is to try the possibilities.

Some FX loops just plain suck - unbuffered, no level adjust, etc....

Best by far to run the compressor before preamp in those cases.

Then you get into time based effects, outboard distortions, etc....every situation being a little different.

Definitely don't run it out of the loop post-preamp though.

Plus let me add everyone has a different expectation of what a compressor should do.

What I want a compressor to do for me is to smooth transients and raise levels, therefore I want this to occur as early in the signal chain as possible.

In other words, I don't use heavy settings - 2:1 ratio typically so any downstream distortion is not that heavily affected.

Downstream delays sound smoother too (to me) since they're repeating the compressed notes.

Other cats might want to hit the preamp or fuzz box frontend real hard with an uncompressed signal, and then smooth it later.

That doesn't work for me....

• Members

Yes...and the Eden loop is very good. In fact...the WT-800 has two loops...one is pre EQ, the other post EQ. Both have an adjustment level. The post loop even has a stereo option...

:rolleyes:

What's with the roll?

That's what I was talking about initially - the levels are too hot, your distortion has already occured, and your uneven attack on the bass strings has already been gain-staged.

FX loop levels aren't that hot usually, I kinda took that for granted earlier.

Bottom line is if you understand what the compressor does, and what you expect out of it, you can use it an intelligent way that makes sense for your situation.

Show me one pro rig that has a compressor used as a compressor, sitting between the pre and power amp?

Why would anyone do that - have you tried it?

• Members

I can see your reasoning for concern in having a compressor placed in the signal chain after the pre-amp, but I think that's the way it's done almost everywhere, except for with guitars, where the compressor is used to enhance sustain rather than the typical use (in bass, vocals, recording, etc) of smoothing or leveling the dynamics of the signal. The "insert" jack on the vast majority of mixers is after the pre-amp. Most rack-mount compressors are designed to handle line level signals, so the input directly from the bass, unless active, would be too low of a signal. And you want the greatest signal to noise ratio before you compress, which is going to be found after a pre-amp (set for appropriate gain of course) rather than at the output of an instrument.

BTW, if you set up your rack compressor like the FAQ's thread, you are really setting up the compressor to act as an limiter, but by first moderately compressing the signal in the first channel, the limiting in the second channel is less harsh and nearly inaudible.

I use my rack mount compressor with settings close to those listed in the FAQ section's thread, after the pre-amp (the mono effects loop) of my Eden WT800, and don't have any problem setting the levels or getting abnormal or bad sounds. You have to be very careful about setting the gains on the compressor, as it is easy to send an overloaded signal to the power amp section by being too aggressive with adding back gain after compression. This is usally very audible. Once you find your pre-amp's gain setting and the compressor settings you like, mark them, as they will change with everyday use.

• Members

What's with the roll?

Show me one pro rig that has a compressor used as a compressor, sitting between the pre and power amp?

Why would anyone do that - have you tried it?

Yes, I have tried it. In fact, this is the 3rd time I am answering that question from you. I'm not sure if you're even reading my posts, hence the eye roll...

One pro rig: Billy Sheehan's

Archived