bassdudeguy

• Members

i don't think it will be a literal end-of-the-world scenario, but i'm looking for something major to happen.

hey, how many techies do we have here? exactly how many everyday devices would fail catastrophically if there was some kind of electromagnetic disturbance? and more importantly, would tube amps still work?

• Members

i don't think it will be a
literal
end-of-the-world scenario, but i'm looking for something major to happen.

hey, how many techies do we have here? exactly how many everyday devices would fail catastrophically if there was some kind of electromagnetic disturbance? and more importantly, would tube amps still work?

There have been major fluctuations in the sun's magnetosphere at various times, and one caused a pretty major blackout. It wouldn't be the devices that fail, it'd be the power grid! I think the side of earth facing the sun would be harder hit, and since that blackout we've now taken precautions and stuck some satellites a bit closer to the sun to give us some advance warning if needed.

For tube amps? I don't know, but supposedly the Soviet Mig-25's tube-powered electronics were much less vulnerable to the EMP of a nuclear blast than the electronics found in American interceptors of the day, so maybe if you can get some power your tubes will still work!:thu:

• Members

I think I am going to start writing obscurely worded prophecies and just fill it with things that might or might not happen and then license the book for my kids college fund....

Remember "Cleo"? That Jamaican fortune-teller? Same {censored}. Give someone enough vagueness, and they'll turn it into a {censored}ing 'prophecy'.

what ever happened to her?

• Moderators

Remember "Cleo"? That Jamaican fortune-teller? Same {censored}. Give someone enough vagueness, and they'll turn it into a {censored}ing 'prophecy'.

what ever happened to her?

The company was busted for fraud. She was just an actress playing a role, so I don't know if they prosecuted her or not.

Archived