Any of you bass players also play drums?

Groove Tool

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The drum kit was the first thing I learned... I just put on "Highway To Hell" and went for it. I never got real fancy, but I can keep a pretty decent beat.

And yes - I think that understanding the drums is key to being a good bass player.

• Members

my father is a drummer and grew up listening to gene krupa,buddy rich etc..

so one of my first memories is getting drum lessons sitting behind this black slingerland kit with this huge kick drum.

now that i'm grown i have a kit almost identical to my dad's and if i had to pick one instrument to play from now on -it would be percussion.

for me personally if my drum chops are up my sense of timing and dynamics improves on all the other instruments i play.if i just have time to practice one instrument a day i sit down behind the drums for that reason.

slingerlands.jpg

• Members

I've heard playing drums can really help your bass playing. I don't see the connection though.

Because you are both part of the rhythm section that is supposed to work as a cohesive unit. The more you know about drums...and the more your drummer knows about bass, the better off you'll both be.

• Members

Im no drummer. But I have been behind the kit on and off for quite awhile. I absolutely love playing drums! I cannot play a full gig, only a couple of songs, simple, on time and in the groove, no flash, only what the song calls for and then a bit less.

There is a pick-up jam every fri night and ive been going there on and off for about 10 years. Normally I play bass...but...if the heavies arent there ill get behind the kit and lay it down. Its such a blast!

One of these days id like to get a v set and get just a little bit better. BTW the V's are a soooo much fun, the great thing is just plug in the cans and no one can hear you.

ikestr

• Members

I couldn't agree more. Knowing how to communicate behind a drum kit has really helped my bass playing, although if the drummer in the band I'm in heard me say that he'd $hit. I'd say my playing has improved but I still suffer from tequila amnesia when we rehearse.

I am impressed to see so many of you in this community who can play a beat. I figured that my first kit would also be my last, so the electronic kit was definitely the way to go. Hart Dynamics makes a great product and someone is always selling a kit with a Roland module on eBay. To top it off my 2 year old says "Dada, Drums" and I turn them on, set her in the seat and she goes wild. She surprised me recently with some quarter note beats. Too cool.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
my father is a drummer and grew up listening to gene krupa,buddy rich etc..

so one of my first memories is getting drum lessons sitting behind this black slingerland kit with this huge kick drum.

now that i'm grown i have a kit almost identical to my dad's and if i had to pick one instrument to play from now on -it would be percussion.

for me personally if my drum chops are up my sense of timing and dynamics improves on all the other instruments i play.if i just have time to practice one instrument a day i sit down behind the drums for that reason.

slingerlands.jpg

Hey, I like your kit. Nice Sky blue too.

• Members

Guttermouth plays drums.

Him too.

I have been looking at getting a simple kit to learn on, and at the same time, I don't want to take away from my bass playing time. Sooner than later I am going to get a set and finally learn to drum. More and more I find myself paying attention to the drumming, and not the bass playing on albums.

• Members

I play drums. Very, very badly. :) Mainly just for my horrible demo recordings, which I then use to teach the rest of the band my songs (and of course, spread around on the Internet). :D

I have a Pearl Export 6-piece kit with a Ludwig Supra-Phonic 6.5" snare, a Tama piccolo snare, and of course the standard Pearl Export snare, but I mainly use the Ludwig because it sounds amazing. ;) I enjoy playing.

Archived