I think I'm done with playing altogether

78pbass

• Members

BIG BIG mistake selling gear. Many years ago I felt the exact same way you described. I sold everything....and I mean everything. I once discovered a coiled (!) guitar cord in a box of odds 'n ends, and that was the only remaining item. I tossed it.

A couple years after that, I really regretted that I had sold my '77 jetglo Ric 4001. And the blackface Fender Bassman. And the matching Bassman cab. Etc etc etc......

Agreed 100% - during the aforementioned hiatus, gear sales that I now regret include a '71 tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard, a '70 Marshall 100watt Superlead and matching slant 412, a mid-70s Twin Reverb, and an RD Artist - wish I had 'em all back...

- georgestrings

• CMS Author

I hit this point myself a few years ago, had enough of everything to do with it all, and sold everything, and I mean everything, like CraigV did.

A few years later, I really had these urges to jam out a bit. So I picked up a beater and started practicing once in a while. Man, do I ever suck in comparison to the old days. lol

My old habits of excessive gear acquisition kicked in and I started getting these urges to buy all kinds of stuff that I really did not need. Now, I've blown way too much cash on a bunch of pedals, amps and basses that I have no right owning, I rarely pick up any these days. It's all just sitting there collecting dust, and in some cases, I am still paying some of it off.
:eek:

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my present (humble still by my old standards) collection and it just brings me down. I can't bring myself to sell it yet because I know how much I will lose for it... like the Variax 705 that I paid full price for about 2 months before the price drop.
:cry:
. One day I may be starting a thread of this nature of my own, I'm presently at an inpasse as to what to do with everything.

By contrast, this time back I {censored}ed up and actually managed to do things "right". I bought decent gear all the time, great gear most of the time, and best of all....I always shopped and got the best prices possible. It still cost me a bundle, but it's good solid stuff that'll resale well if I need to, and best of all it's what I actually want. I sell items I don't use for a few months, but that's not been much...a Sansamp BDDI, a Lexicon Effects unit (for my PA).

Instead of my gear being an excuse, it shows just how bad I really am in an accurate, indisputable manner.........

• Members

I took a two year vacation from playing after a long stint playing in a successful local 50's 60's cover band. That was 2000 and 2001. Then I hurt my left hand badly and it took forever to work my way back so I kind of know what you're going through. The difference is, I like people and I don't play for accolades. They don't allow smoking in bars around here anymore and it does take a good deal of energy to play out.
Then I decided to try inventing a new sound I had in my head until I heard "the Mermen". Now I just play for pleasure and inpromptu jam sessions with friends. I always did like the weekly practice better than playing out but then I was kind of forced into the frontman slot by attrition. It was hard to do being that I was shy by nature. You do kind of get the; "Been there, Done that", attitude. I still enjoy seeing an old geezer kick it now and again...

• Members

I got fed up with the whole band scene at one point too bro. Playing just wasn't fun any more. this was in my mid-30s.

I hung on to my favorite bass and a combo amp. Every once in a while I wuold get together with friends and just jam for fun, but that was about it.

Took about 2 years off. Best thing I ever did. Got me away from music as a business/job and made me really appreciate music as an art for and music for fun again.

Nothing wrong with it.

Music gear can ALWAYS be replaced. Time wasted being unhappy and frustrated can not.

• Members

I am near that point right now too. I'm having fun playing live but practice, playing on my own, and hauling gear has me at a point at which I am not sure it is worth it. I'm hanging on for now. If I do quit for a spell I will keep my primary gear so I could pack up and go play if the urge arises. The rest is dispensible. Keep your "keepers" and take a break.

• Members

I have been playing on and off since about 1978 or 1979.
I played for the first 4 years like I was gonna be a rock star like all of us do when we are 14.
about a year out of high school it really wasnt going anywhere so I took a break. a few years later I got the itch again but started to loose what I had learned. another break. 1988 sold my 68 P and my Fender stack.
1990 bought a new bass.
93 had a kid started working 2 jobs....no time for Bass
1995 another Kid.still working 2 jobs...still not time for bass

2000 moved out of NYC

2001 bought me a Ric.

played the Ric for the next 5 years. played with a few people but got bored and bought a guitar. played that for 2 years. Bought a J copy a few months back played that every day for a while

the last few months I have no drive to play. I feel like I cant even play anymore. I have no drive to play.

I have been playing for almost 30 years and I am not even any good......

so, I hear ya

I aint selling anything though

• Members

So this thread got into a lot of "what should I do with my gear?, how much is too much?"

I have struggled with this before in my life....especially now that I make enough money to blow....nothing is impossible to own. At one time I had too much gear. Now, I have one bass that I play for enjoyment, and one bass that I will pass on to my kids. Sale thing with guitars, I have one that is for fun, and one that I will pass on to the kids.

I feel like if I am just playing for myself nowadays, I am not going to pay for "perfect" tone....no pedals, no tube amp. I know what it is supposed to sound like, and if I ever needed to make those sounds, I could. But for me, I can have fun for a couple hundred bucks, and there is no buyers remorse for me.

• Members

And by the way, playing out always sucks when you do it for free or almost free.....late nights, drunk people yelling crap, most people not appreciating what you do, and hauling equipment. I am glad I am done with it.

If I were a singer I would probably still enjoy...I can haul a ShureSM57.

• Members
Got me away from music as a business/job and made me really appreciate music as an art for and music for fun again.

Music gear can ALWAYS be replaced. Time wasted being unhappy and frustrated can not.

This sounds a bit like me, except that I work around music gear, and I'm starting to think that it's my day job that is partly responsible for my lack of desire to play anymore.

The reason I quit years ago was to do with the band I was in, getting signed, realizing my dreams and then realizing the reality of what it all means and it totally sucking the life out of me. I was so disgruntled and disgusted with the business side of things that I sold it all and walked away. Nice timing that I did it at the same time that my son came along. Gave me something else to focus on. :thu:

Now I work behind the scenes more, at a manufacturer, and it's so completely disgusting me that I am again finding that I want nothing to do with it all over again. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion, that despite music really being my calling, I just can't work in this type of environment any longer, at least not at my current job. I'm willing to bet when I get a new job, because after today I can't look several people I work for in the eye again, and really doubt I ever will, so am job hunting officially as of this moment, I might just enjoy playing again one day. If I sell anything, I won't sell it all this time.

• Members

the last few months I have no drive to play. I feel like I cant even play anymore. I have no drive to play.

I have been playing for almost 30 years and I am not even any good......

That's me to a T, no desire to play, I just can't be bothered right now. The soul and life has been sucked out of me, and music is all about passion for me. These days, I have little, my job has sapped my will to live. (not literally, but you know what I mean)

• Members

The line that got my attention was: "When I'm playing, my mind is on the many other things I could be doing other than this"

When I'M playing I'm lost in the music and any/all awful things in my life disappear. To be honest, like you (and many others) I like the attention I get when I play but it's still all about the music. I'm lucky to play with people I like.

Don't have any advice for you but at one time for you it MUST have been about the music. Maybe you can recapture that....?

• Members

"I feel your pain." :p Actually, wifey and I don't go out unless I am playing somewhere. I haven't been to a bar to see a particular band in several years.

Yeah, maybe a break is in order. I did quit completely and got married and finished college, but went back into it the second year out of college. I really regretted selling my basses, but I had no emotional attachments to the amps. I would hold onto a couple of basses at the least. You might feel different after only a couple of months or so, and you might not. Only you can know when its time to leave or time to return.

• Members

Damn Corey, Im sorry to hear that the music isnt really moving you anymore.I know this wil sound like a broken record(no pun intended) but I was where you're at emotionally about 2 years ago. But we decided to start wrting and recording our first cd and it sparked up something creative in me that hadnt been tapped into in a long time.That was what did it for me, though everyone is different. Only you know what you really want to do, and the most important thing is for you to be happy so I say go with whatever that is. However, I must agree with many here and say you should at the very least hold onto one or two of your favorite basses, put them in storage or stowed away out of sight for a while, and hopefully you'll eventually feel the music calling to you again later on down the road. You are a really good musician and I have the feeling that at some point in the future, youll be longing for the bass again. Good luck man no matter what you decide!:thu:

• Members
I am near that point right now too. I'm having fun playing live but practice, playing on my own, and hauling gear has me at a point at which I am not sure it is worth it. I'm hanging on for now. If I do quit for a spell I will keep my primary gear so I could pack up and go play if the urge arises.

That's the beauty of what I'm doing with the improv group. No rehearsal. No BS that goes along with it. No PA. No lighting rigs. No audio/lighting engineer(s).
You just show up, listen to the people around you, and respond musically via your instrument to what they are saying via their instruments. It's as natural as it gets. :cool:

• Members

I am so in the opposite situation than most of you guys. I have only played maybe 10 gigs in venues other than church. I am really excited about what the future will hold. I have no visions of granduer. I don't want to "make it", I just want to make some good enjoyable music.
I will never play in a cover band say more than twice a year. I will never play music that I don't enjoy, and I will never have more than say 20% covers in our sets.
I know, I know, with those criteria I won't be playing out much. Cool. I won't make much money. That's cool too (just cover my gas). At 50 years of age I owe it to myself to enjoy what I'm doing. I have a passion to create, and I need a social network (since I don't have one at church anymore). I get that from music.

• Members
Damn Corey, Im sorry to hear that the music isnt really moving you anymore.I know this wil sound like a broken record(no pun intended) but I was where you're at emotionally about 2 years ago. But we decided to start wrting and recording our first cd and it sparked up something creative in me that hadnt been tapped into in a long time.That was what did it for me, though everyone is different. Only you know what you really want to do, and the most important thing is for you to be happy so I say go with whatever that is. However, I must agree with many here and say you should at the very least hold onto one or two of your favorite basses, put them in storage or stowed away out of sight for a while, and hopefully you'll eventually feel the music calling to you again later on down the road. You are a really good musician and I have the feeling that at some point in the future, youll be longing for the bass again. Good luck man no matter what you decide!
:thu:

Ken, my white ATK and my first guitar, my 1985 Van Halen Replica I got in '86 are staying. everything else is already starting to move.

Archived