I think I'm done with playing altogether

78pbass

• Members

See this thread's last post to begin:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1834280

I've been wrestling with the fact that I havent enjoyed playing in a long, long time (5 or more years). I finally realized that its my frugality that keeps me doing it - in that I mean that I've spent 20 years perfecting my craft, I cant give it up because its a waste .

Here's a list of my thoughts:

I'm just done and its not a rash decision. My thinking is that if I sell everything off, I can have the separation that may bring the 'want' and satisfaction back.

I feel like an alcoholic trying to kick the bottle but I have booze all around me. So with that said, (for the first time I'm saying and meaning) I am selling my gear.

Dont worry, I'm not leaving here though - you're stuck with me

• Members

I generally dislike most people and musicians , I don't go out because it's not fun for me , so I sit home and make silly recordings , wanta jam :lol::poke:;) If it's not fun don't do it . I can't live in a world where creating music is a chore . You are a damn fine musician , just make sure you put it to good use ;)

• Members

/obviously fake, pseudo concerned voice

no please don't do it, whatever you do don't sell all your gear

/obviously fake, pseudo concerned voice

whatya got? :D That sucks though, sorry to hear it's lost all of it's luster for you. It happens though. Even though sure it kinda sucks, you gotta do what makes you happy. Besides, it's not like you can never buy a bass again; though you'll lose some money getting things back.

• Members

I kinda know what you mean.

After playing hardcore the last 3 1/2-4 years, giving up marriage, advancing my career, saving money, and all that, I'm looking to other things (like future marriage, advancing my career, saving money & buying a house) to fulfill my time.

I still get to play every Sunday AM for church, so I'm not out altogether, but I had a lot of contacts the last time I put up an ad, and at this point as of today, I'm not sure if I'll call any of 'em to confirm.

May be time for a break.

• Moderators

I can think of only two reasons to play: you want to, or you need to.

You might want to because it's fun, because it's a stress relief, because it gets you out of the house, or whatever. You might need to because it's your job, you made a commitment, or other reasons.

If you don't need to, and you don't want to, why do it? It should be fun. If it's not, let it go. Maybe it will become fun again after some time off.

• Members

Sorry to hear about this, but I guess if your heart isn't in it then there's no point in forcing yourself. I took a break before for about 6 months because I got stressed out with it. When I got back to it, everything was different. It was refreshing.

I find myself getting frustrated with it a bit too, but mainly just the whole band thing. I haven't actually managed to be in a band for any considerable length of time. I've really given up on that avenue for the moment and just play for me.

• Members

Take a break.

Keep your favorite bass.

+10,000 on that.

I gave up bass for about 6 years due to carreer, marriage, family etc... but kept my amp, cab and a bass collecting dust in the basement (actually a number of basements). I am soooooo thankful to this day that I kept the gear and was able to get back into it when I suddenly felt the extreme urge to get playing with others again. If I had to buy gear to satiate that urge, it never would have happened.

• Members

perhaps you just need a hiatus.

Yeah, find a place to stow your gear for a few months, year or two, whatever...to get it out of sight and unaccessible.

When you get the urge, really rethink your approach to playing. You don't have to play lousy covers in dull, smoky bars full of loosers splattering booze over all your gear, etc... Many here play for worship services. I did this for several years. I could play as much or as little as I wanted. I could play 3 times/wk if I wanted, in fact. T Broom was approached to play background music for meditation. Personally, I think this is the coolest, if your familiar with my approach to making music. Myself, I've been co-hosting improv night at Common Grounds Book Cafe...now starting up at Foothills Organics(up the street) every Thurs evening. Great GREAT workout for me...not just for my technical craft, but also for stretching my artistic imagination.

So there are other avenues...when your ready. :)

• Members

Hey, you can't help how you feel. Maybe it's time to take a break, try some different musical genres (how about a little Latin Jazz?), try picking up a different instrument, write some songs, do some recording. Do something different from the "routine" that you find yourself in. I think you'll find another reason besides just recognition to keep working at your craft.

I'm a jack of all trades and master at none. Although I mainly play bass now, I also am a drummer, play a little keyboards, a little guitar, do some ensemble singing, like to record some snippets here and there, do a little arranging. I guess I like to keep it moving. Once your music starts becoming "work" I can see how you could get tired of it pretty fast.

I actually read your other post previously. I can't possibly think of a reason why a band looking to audition members would throw 44 songs at them. It seems to me that you should choose a half dozen with different feels and styles and see if there's chemistry with the bassist. How could they possibly remember what every potential "auditionee" played on all those songs. The fact that they wanted to toss the list and see what "felt" right isn't surprising. They over-reached.

As a result, they disrespected your time and your near-heroic efforts to learn all the songs, and perhaps this isn't surprising either. Amateurs. Your woodshedding efforts and the obvious musical prowess you brought to the table to learn all those songs went unrecognized and that sucks. It won't however, be the last time that the contribution of a bassist goes under-appreciated in a band situation. ;) Sucks to be us.

• Members

They white ATK is staying. Its my bass.

You all get first dibs on my

1978 Fender Pbass

1996 ATK Fretless

My Brand new DrBass RX212 and new condition RX115

1994 Mesa/Boogie M2000 with footswitch

Ill post an ad, but if you want more info PM me and Ill reply when I get home from work tonite

• Members

They white ATK is staying. Its
my
bass.

You all get first dibs on my

1978 Fender Pbass

1996 ATK Fretless

My Brand new DrBass RX212 and new condition RX115

1994 Mesa/Boogie M2000 with footswitch

Ill post an ad, but if you want more info PM me and Ill reply when I get home from work tonite

Yeah, sounds like it's time for a bit of a break. Honestly, if you have a great family like you do, I can see where the gigging end of things would end up being more of a hassle than it may be worth.

If you were selling any guitars, I'd be all over that... ;)

• Members

I've been wrestling with the fact that I havent enjoyed playing in a long, long time (5 or more years).

Man I feel that....

Do you enjoy listening to music?

Maybe take a break like the others' have said - experience life a little and find some joy - that'll draw you right back to playing music, but likely on completely different terms than before.

Peace.

• Members

Yeah, sounds like it's time for a bit of a break. Honestly, if you have a great family like you do, I can see where the gigging end of things would end up being more of a hassle than it may be worth.

If you were selling any guitars, I'd be all over that...
;)

I gotta +1 this. Give it some time off. If the interest is still there, maybe just look for a casual situation.

• CMS Author

BIG BIG mistake selling gear. Many years ago I felt the exact same way you described. I sold everything....and I mean everything. I once discovered a coiled (!) guitar cord in a box of odds 'n ends, and that was the only remaining item. I tossed it.

A couple years after that, I really regretted that I had sold my '77 jetglo Ric 4001. And the blackface Fender Bassman. And the matching Bassman cab. Etc etc etc......

• Members

I'm not so sure it is a big mistake to sell your gear. Maybe from a financial point of view, but not from an emotional point of view. There is no way to know if you will regret it or not. We can't make that call for you and you don't know yourself how you will feel in the future. Only time will tell. I can see your point as to why you feel the need to sell. Break free, start fresh etc.

Alot of things we do in life just doesn't make sense to others. We just have to do it just because.

It certainly won't hurt you any to keep your gear for a short time after you quit playing just to see how you feel about quiting.

My 2 cents.

• Members

I'm not so sure it is a big mistake to sell your gear. Maybe from a financial point of view, but not from an emotional point of view. There is no way to know if you will regret it or not. We can't make that call for you and you don't know yourself how you will feel in the future. Only time will tell. I can see your point as to why you feel the need to sell. Break free, start fresh etc.

Alot of things we do in life just doesn't make sense to others. We just have to do it just because.

It certainly won't hurt you any to keep your gear for a short time after you quit playing just to see how you feel about quiting.

My 2 cents.

+1

He can get all that gear back..it may not be cheap but none of it is rare.

Dan

• Members

Yeah, find a place to stow your gear for a few months, year or two, whatever...to get it out of sight and unaccessible.

When you get the urge, really rethink your approach to playing. You don't have to play lousy covers in dull, smoky bars full of loosers splattering booze over all your gear, etc... Many here play for worship services. I did this for several years. I could play as much or as little as I wanted. I could play 3 times/wk if I wanted, in fact. T Broom was approached to play background music for meditation. Personally, I think this is the coolest, if your familiar with my approach to making music. Myself, I've been co-hosting improv night at Common Grounds Book Cafe...now starting up at Foothills Organics(up the street) every Thurs evening. Great GREAT workout for me...not just for my technical craft, but also for stretching my artistic imagination.

So there are other avenues...
when your ready.
:)

czech_tekk_girl.jpg

• Members

I hit this point myself a few years ago, had enough of everything to do with it all, and sold everything, and I mean everything, like CraigV did.

A few years later, I really had these urges to jam out a bit. So I picked up a beater and started practicing once in a while. Man, do I ever suck in comparison to the old days. lol

My old habits of excessive gear acquisition kicked in and I started getting these urges to buy all kinds of stuff that I really did not need. Now, I've blown way too much cash on a bunch of pedals, amps and basses that I have no right owning, I rarely pick up any these days. It's all just sitting there collecting dust, and in some cases, I am still paying some of it off. :eek:

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my present (humble still by my old standards) collection and it just brings me down. I can't bring myself to sell it yet because I know how much I will lose for it... like the Variax 705 that I paid full price for about 2 months before the price drop. :cry:. One day I may be starting a thread of this nature of my own, I'm presently at an inpasse as to what to do with everything.

Archived