Any HCBF lurve for medieval instruments?

RoboChrist

• Members

I actually wouldn't mind getting one of these, the viola da gamba. It's a fretted six-stringed cello-like instrument that's tuned in fourths. How {censored}in' sweet is that?

The woman playing it seems to have had an unfortunate accident or botched plastic surgery but try not to let her frighten you. Her playing more than makes up for it.

[YOUTUBE]80mF23zen6s&feature[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You should join me at some performances by my instructor. He rocks his gamba like mad.

That would be cool. Every time I hear things like this I start to regret that I gave up on classical bass and have lost about all the skills I once had. Someday I'll get back into it.

BTW with a range like that do they score for the gamba with multiple clefs like a piano score? That makes it even more impressive if so. I always sucked at reading C or treble clefs.

• Members

As there ought be.

Check again... there are 7 strings on that bad boy

I've wanted one of those viols for years. I'd seen a live performance on one many years ago, and then about three years ago caught a movie called (translated) "All The Mornings Of The World" about a da gamba teacher and student.

Robo, thanks for the vid link!

Archived