Musicians in general - at what age do you go get your instrument of your dreams

davis1

• Members

Having had a conversation with a trumpeter this evening, I was just wondering, at what age bracket is a musician usually when he dishes out on his dream instrument? The dude I was talking to was 32, and just recently did he buy his dream horn. This guy plays full time too. Then there are guys on Youtube making {censored}ty noise out of professional horns, Warwicks, etc..

:confused::confused:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hhhmmm, im 50 and my tastes (over the years) have changed so damn much i don't really know what a dream bass would be?

I also think it's a matter of what and where you play; i wouldn't take an F Bass or a Sadowsky to a local dive...so that can determine a lot in that respect. A persons sense of worthiness plays a part also, it took a while for me to feel worthy of an upper echelon bass (sometimes i still have my doubts).

As it stands now, im in a position to get what i want vs. what i need; i don't "need" anything, but on the same hand i'd like to have everything...so i make do wit what i gotz.

To sum it up...:idk:

• Members

I don't think it's a matter of age, more like a wallet issue.

I got mine built at 22 and still play it 12 years after.

If I played piano or violin, it would likely have been much more expensive and difficult to get.

Another factor is that many people don't know exactly what they want and will never figure it out, jumping from one instrument to another.

• Members

I started playing bass in 79. got a Fender P bass but really wanted a Ric.

I played all the time for about 5 years then it dwindled off. I am not musician by any sense of the word.

I played off and on since then but in november of 2000 I saw a Ric in a music store.never having one in my hands since the first time I saw one I thought what the hell......

I was 36.

I wouldnt call it the bass of my Dreams but it is the one I "wanted"

even though I cant play a Guitar worth a {censored} I would Love to have a Gibson Les Paul

• Members

even though I cant play a Guitar worth a {censored} I would Love to have a Gibson Les Paul

I feel the same about the Dean Razorback with the confederate flag, shame those suckers retail at $3k.

31868j.jpg

...you can pay allot more for a les paul, and there are so many different configurations, got an idea of the year/config your after?

• Members

I feel the same about the Dean Razorback with the confederate flag, shame those suckers retail at $3k.

31868j.jpg

...you can pay allot more for a les paul, and there are so many different configurations, got an idea of the year/config your after?

my guitard has that in non-razorback.

• Members

I got mine when I was either 13 or 14, it was my very first bass guitar and I lucked into my Gibson Victory Artist. That bass plays better, sounds better, looks better than everything else I've played since and I love it to death. I don't play it much anymore because it's earned an easy retirement, and I really only play fivers now. But for a LONG time it was all I had, and the thought never once occured to me to look for something else because I never needed anything more. All the rest of the basses can come and go, but this one is going with me when I die.

As for newer basses, I've done a few customs now, and really don't think in term's of dream bass anymore. They're all different, all have strengths and weaknesses, and no bass is perfect. I don't drool over any one bass to be the One, or that I think will be so perfect I'll never look elsewhere. I like the idea mentioned of a dream collection, that makes much more sense to me than a dream bass.

• Members

:rawk:

31868j.jpg

I checked out something like that Dean in a Bass in Black. pretty sweet bass but I couldnt get used to the pointy edges

as far as what Gibson

A 59 like Jimmy Page Played

whatever Ace Frehley Played

and of course any type Slash uses

:rawk:

• Members

I don't really have a dream bass, more like a dream collection
:idk:

Agreed. The music I play is so varied there isn't "one" bass for me for everything... that said, my Stingray 5 does everything I ask it to except sound like a fretless. I'll have to get a fretless Musicman at some point.

• Members

My parents never gave me a dime for my instruments. At the age of 24, I was able to afford a new Gibson Les Paul Classic. A year later, it was sold for a Japanese copy. :lol:

I bought my Stingray at the age of 29. It was my dream bass.

Archived