Musicians in general - at what age do you go get your instrument of your dreams

davis1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got my dream bass (the Stingray) just this past summer, and I'm 19. I still don't really think I'm worthy of it, but I realized I was never going to be happy until I had my Stingray, and worked my ass off until I could afford it. While there are certainly still other basses I would like to own, they would all be supplementary to this one - my eventual heirs will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands if they want to inherit it!

• Members

I've found my instrunment in my Schecter, unless I were to win the lottery and just totally go nuts I can't really see me needing annother bass (except maybe the freltess version of my Schecter...)

I think some people never get their ultimate axe, and others have 35 axes at home, all of which have special meaning to them, then some folks have 50 axes at home for the heck of it.....

• Members

Probably at age 10 when I got my first electric for Christmas that year, a brand spanking new '66 Hofner Colorama. :love:

About 12 years later I got a '70 LP DeLuxe gold-top.

Still haven't got my "dream bass" yet, as I just started playing bass early this year. My first (a mod-ed SX) still seems pretty special to me and a damn fine player at that. Sounds good too.

:)

Never really understood the "dream instrument thing" :confused:

• Members

Early 30's I think. An Arp Odyssey. (the one on the right)
3ody11md.jpg

Played with one at a music store years before (about 1973). But I never expected a non-musician nobody like me would ever have a synthesizer .

But in the 80's people were trading in their old outdated analog crap for shiny new digital/MIDI gear. There it was and there I was and it really was an instrument of my dreams. :love:

• Members

The bass of my dreams is a Ric. That dream has apparently been dashed...

The instrument (overall) of my dreams is a Hammond organ. Got my first one 5 years ago; gave it to a bud who helped me pick up my second (and final) - an A100. I was 40 when I got it.

• Members
...before you get married.

+1,000,000,000,000 and then some. Aside from strings and replacement cords, I haven't made any musical purchases for myself since getting married. :eek:

I also agree with changing tastes as you age. I didn't even start playing the bass until I was 29. :lol:

Archived