New Years bass related resolutions?

Emprov

• Members

Well? Something that you want to buy, a situation that you'd like to be in by year's end, a skill you'd like to develop? Where would you like to be by this time next year?

Personally, this year, I'd like to treat my practice sessions as daily appointments instead of practicing whenever I feel like it or have the time. I'd also like to be in a gigging jazz band by year's end.

• Members

Practice more

Spend less on bass gear

Get my driving license - so I can bring my own gear to gigs

Drop 20 lbs by doing less weights and more cardio - so i look even more sexeh on stage

Build a new pc - so I can record on it

Find a girl that isn't a psycho - that I can bring to gigs without her causeing a scene :mad:

• Members

Bass related, I want to improve my reading skills. I don't have much of a grasp on the timing side of things when reading. I plan on having a more structured approach to practicing, like yourself Emprov. I think I need to set specific times to do practicing each week.

Non-bass related, but it can be used on basses. I want to start a new hobby, so after some careful thinking I'm gonna give pinstriping a go. I think its really cool. I've always loved drawing, painting and art. So I think I'll give it a go and see how I get on. :)

• Members

I'd like to finish my bass album that I've told friends about for over a decade. I finally started recording a couple tracks (six, actually) so it's a good start. But I want to keep it rolling, instead of getting caught up in other things and dropping it altogether until I say "Hey, wasn't I working on that?!"

• Members

I have more of a wish that I would like to be a resolution: I want to go back and play bass in my band --- I feel guilty saying that because I am good friends with the bass player in my band and he's a great guy.... Yes, I still freelance on bass ( as in last night's NYE gig), but each time I play bass, I yearn to go back to it in my main gigging situation(s)......

• Members

Not really a resolution, but I hope to truly study bass this year...actually focus on learning the instrument better, not just wank around during my "practice" sessions.

Hmmm. If only there was a scary good bass player on the forum who was really, really good at guiding people on their journey to become a better bass player and who did this via something like Skype video chat. :thu:

• Members

Hmmm. If only there was a scary good bass player on the forum who was really, really good at guiding people on their journey to become a better bass player and who did this via something like Skype video chat.
:thu:

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Unfortunately, I don't think lessons are in the cards, because my progress is going to be very slow since I am going back to school and working and trying to stay married :D

• Members

id like to have a part time job that will keep all my bills paid while i am in college. id like to get my trombone playing up to what it was when i graduated High School and play a few college auditions. hopefully by this time next year ill have some recording gear and some mp3's to annoy you people with. my actual resolution is to keep my gpa at 3.5 or higher.

• Members

Practice more

Spend less on bass gear

Get my driving license - so I can bring my own gear to gigs

Drop 20 lbs by doing less weights and more cardio - so i look even more sexeh on stage

Build a new pc - so I can record on it

Find a girl that isn't a psycho - that I can bring to gigs without her causeing a scene
:mad:

Find a girl that isn't a psycho - that I can bring to gigs without her causeing a scene
:mad:

from what I read on these forums that is a goal you will not reach....

lol

apparently I am the only one in the world with a wife who is not a nut case

• Members

+ A New Year's Eve gig

+ Being part of a band that gigs regularly, and plays a genre of music that I would listen to at home. (I've done blues, rock, jazz and singer-songwriter. None of which I listen to much of in my leisure time)

+ Clean up my technique

+ Steal the current bassist's gig with Frozen Moses! :mad:

+ Learn more about EQ so that I can find & control my sound

+ Learn and do more with bass modifications

+ Sell my black kilt and get a smaller one. I lost 30lbs since I bought it. Can't perform in my blue kilt all the time.

+ Stay slim, and work on getting sexier than DRF. A shortscale whammy bar bass is a helluva start!!! :cool:

• Members

I need to learn how to improv walking lines.

I can do it if I sit down and write it out, but I wanna be able to do it on a whim, like if the guitard yells out a progression I want to be able to just follow along without a problem.

• Members

I have not had a single girl friend who wasn't an asshat, fact.

Maybe I should stop being so vain, and get to know a girl better before committing to a relationship.

• Members

Maybe I should stop being so vain, and get to know a girl better before committing to a relationship.

My theory is that they're all messed up to some degree. :idk: Just a theory, I need to go out with more to prove it. :p

• Members

Uhhhh...

YEAH.

That'll help.

I want to find someone that can teach me things without damaging my musical self-esteem at a reasonable price.

I want to get balls deep into this theory book over here, as well.

• Members

Not so. You can add me to the list.

I'm like some of you, I don't do resolutions. But here are some goals.

I want to see more consistency in my band, personnel, regular paying gigs, recording, more quality writing, etc. I will do what I can to make these things happen. As far as playing bass I want to become a better soloist. I suck at soloing.

Outside of music: I am 50 years of age and I am still searching for a right balance. I'd like to find that this year. HaHa (sarcasm inserted)

Archived