Pick-up configurations?? what's the word?

bassthumpintwin

• Members

I'm just curious about the myriad of different p/u configurations offered to bassists today.... i mean, you have classic jazz, split coil (p-bass) p/j combo, soapbar, dual soapbar, MM humbucker, dual MM, MM/J, piezzo... etc... :blah:

The sky is the limit.... and then there's placement.... ie, single bridge, vs neck, vs dual (bridge and neck).....

What are some general benefits of 2 different humbuckers, and what do you guys prefer?

MM/J versus dual MM?

comments? opinions?

• Members

I love dual pup configs, but, ideally, my "perfect set up" would be four pickups of any sort, preferably J or standard humbuckers. One at the bridge, one a bit in front of it, one in the mid position after that, and one one at the neck position. I could live with three pickups equally spaced in a similarly set up arrangement.

As for standard, I love single coil sounds. I love my Jazz. I've also found love for my Foundation fiver's dual buckers. :)

• Members

I'm starting to think that possibly the best pick-up configuration is the split coil P pick-up in the neck position and a single coil J pick-up in the bridge position. You get the big booty of the P bass with the growl and burp on the J pick-up.

:thu:

This is what I started playing bass with so I don't know about the other configs except what I've heard others use but, I gotta agree with you on the growl/burp & thump. :love:

• Members

my ideal arrangement would be MM at the bridge and J at the neck with the option of running the mm as a single j.

give her a 3 way toggle: mm solo - mm/j - j/j

knobs: master volume - blend - stacked bass/treb

and what the hell, give her an active/passive switch too,

just in case the battery dies

• Members

My favorite arrangement so far is the dual humbucker setup on my T-40s with the single P setup a close second.

Because Guttermouth gave me the idea, as soon as I get the pickups that I bought on ebay, I'm going to probably swap the pickups in the T-40 FL with the earlier T-40 style and put one of the pickups from the fretless into my P bass at the bridge position.

• Members

Lots of P/J love up in here, and I gotta agree. Love mine, and have another in the works. Just make the J noiseless thank you.:thu:

Also have to say that the my fretless with dual split coil J's sounds gorgeous. MUCH more refined than the P/J, and really shines in other area's where the P/J may be a little too raw.

:cool:

• Members

What are some general benefits of 2 different humbuckers, and what do you guys prefer?

MM/J versus dual MM?

comments? opinions?

dual pups give 'air' to the tone and combine the effects of the nodal variations...

boo!

if you have 2 humbuckers they should be wired one or the other or together...but the big advantage is to switch them from parallel to single coil/phantom coil so getting the tone of the tradional jazz without having to use stacked or split coil design

personally i favour the combined single coil pup in the sweet spot wired s/p/single coil

its called MM

Archived