• Members

I'm going to narrow it down for you:

5 Strings - EASIEST

35" scale - Easier

neckthrough - easy

narrow string spacing - tough

MM/J configuration - tougher

Bartolini pickups - toughest

I'd also like it to be 1500 dollars or less, with a black body and maple fretboard.

ALSO, I'd like an easy access battery compartment on the back that doesnt require a screwdriver, and I want to be able to switch from active to passive.

A thin, fast neck would be nice.

Am I missing anything?

I've found the Lakland 55-02's come closed to what I want, with the exceptions of wider string spacing and a bolt on neck....

any other suggestions?

• Members

Your perfect bass exists. Unfortunately, It's currently being played by a 19 year old from the San Fernando Valley, who bought it used from Guitar center because it's the same color as Pete Wentz bass, and his band is gonna open for Fallout Boy someday, but tonight they are playing at the Roxy on a bill with 10 other bands, and thank god the Roxy has a backline cause he just pawned his Ampeg SVT to pay part of the rent, and buy some Crystal Meth.

So Wait until he gets arrested, or his parents send him to rehab, and it's yours!!!

:D

• Members

:thu::thu: on the 55-02.

That's what I play.

I switched from a neckthru and I am pleased with the bolt on. Also, the string spacing is not that wide. My Yamaha was much wider. And you can't beat the price for what you are getting. IMO

• Members

Your perfect bass exists. Unfortunately, It's currently being played by a 19 year old from the San Fernando Valley, who bought it used from Guitar center because it's the same color as Pete Wentz bass, and his band is gonna open for Fallout Boy someday, but tonight they are playing at the Roxy on a bill with 10 other bands, and thank god the Roxy has a backline cause he just pawned his Ampeg SVT to pay part of the rent, and buy some Crystal Meth.

So Wait until he gets arrested, or his parents send him to rehab, and it's yours!!!

:D

this puts my pawnshop thread into perspective

:poke:

• Members

Ok...why are these important? I'm not going to try to talk you out of anything...I'm just curious.

How narrow of string spacing are we talking?

Well, I've always liked the tone of the MM humbuckers, and I've always appreciated the tone and versatility a Jazz Pickup gives.... Maybe this shouldnt be a HUGE factor, but I figured, what the heck.

As far as the narrow string spacing, I'm just talking about the standard 5 string spacing on, say, most Ibanez basses, or my Schecter Studio 5.

Maybe its just the fact that I'm used to tha spacing, but it seems a heck of a lot more comfortable than 3/4'' bridge spacing. (my fingers arent super long either)

BUT, now that you've asked, does anybody here think the jazz pu helps that much with a MM humbucker? is there a configuration that might sound better? Does it really make a difference at all?

• Members

Welcome back.

I thought you had already decided to get a 55-02. They are amazing basses. Personally, I think the Lakland branded pickups/preamp sound better than the Barts they used to use.

Thanks bud... nice to feel missed:love: hahah

Well, I thought by now that I WOULD have my 55-02, but unforseen bills/circumstances has decided that I wait until I'm a little more financially stable.... IN THE MEAN time, I was just wondering if there was a better option that had recently been made available, or that I had overlooked....

Actually, I think this thread has re-ignited my desire for a 55-02....

• Members

Well...I've never played a bass with a MM/J combo. My SR5 is an HH, and I do use different settings on it. My Warwick has 2 J's in it...and that sounds pretty damn good as well. I can imagine that the MM/J would sound very good too. I would probably use the J in certain spots, and the MM most of the time.

So is that spacing 17mm? Or less? What about the neck through thing?

• Moderators

self explanatory preferences:

5 Strings

narrow string spacing

1500 dollars or less

black body and maple fretboard

easy access battery compartment

why?

35" scale

neckthrough

preference, but why?

MM/J configuration

Bartolini pickups w/active preamp (switchable active/passive)

• Moderators

Off the top of my head- it's not neck through, and the spacing is a bit wider than you're asking for, but the MTD Kingston Heir comes in the MM/J config you're looking for. It's way beneath your price. You could always install Bart pickups if you needed and still be quite a few bills beneath your limit. I think it can be had in Black/Maple. What's the going rate these days. . .about $600 or so?

• Members

self explanatory preferences
:

5 Strings

narrow string spacing

1500 dollars or less

black body and maple fretboard

easy access battery compartment

why
?

35" scale

neckthrough

preference, but why
?

MM/J configuration

Bartolini pickups w/active preamp (switchable active/passive)

35" scale = tighter B string gauranteed (in my experience)... with 34'', its back and forth... all the 5 string 34'' scale Ibanez basses I've owned have been great.... For some reason, all the 34'' scale StingRay 5ers I've picked up have felt a little floppy. Maybe it was the type of strings....

The Bartolini's arent a MUST, but I love how they sound on other basses i've played, and the EMG's on my Schecter just arent cutting it sometimes. as far as Passive/active, I like to have the option, especially since my active only basses cut out when the battery gets low. (granted, that's like once a year maybe, but its very inconvenient)

as for neckthrough... i like the feel better, and the sustain is sometimes a little better. (though arguably, many bolt-ons are comparable, and stringing through the body probably helps, which IS offered on the lakland)

my buddy got one of these a while back:

392453.jpg

and the spacing just seemed a little too wide for me (besides the fact that i dont like trabens)

does anybody know if the laklands feel the same? I've never been fortunate enough to play one... :cry:

but seriously, how sweet is THIS:

lak_5502_blk_tn.jpg

• Members

For some reason, all the 34'' scale StingRay 5ers I've picked up have felt a little floppy. Maybe it was the type of strings....

I have and will argue that my SR5's low B is as good as my Modulus, which are known for having a very good B. I do use a higher tension string (DR lo-rider), but even with regular EB Slinkys on it, it was great.

• Moderators

does anybody know if the laklands feel the same? I've never been fortunate enough to play one...
:cry:

but seriously, how sweet is THIS:

lak_5502_blk_tn.jpg

I'm never going to argue against a Lakland unless the player isn't looking for what they offer. The 55-02 would be great for most of what you are looking for. In my experience and opinion, the neck through issue should only matter to you in this decision with respect to feel. Your other concerns will not be an issue with the 55-02.

• Members

AAGH so close. I have a bass that would be close to your perfect bass in mind...only problem is its in the wrong pup configuration.

The Ibanez BTB1205E

THE GOOD:

It's a 5'ver

It has a 35 inch scale

It's neckthrough

Its string spacing is FAIRLY narrow, you'd have to play one but I find it quite narrow

It DOES have Bartolini pups

It would be less than 1500 US, as they're only about AU$1800

Its active, and very easy to access the back panel.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

You can't switch from active to passive as far as I remember, although there is a switch on it

Not MM/J unfortunatly :(

I don't think it comes in black with a maple fretboard :(

So not completely what you said you wanted, but perhaps worth considering

• Members

AAGH so close. I have a bass that would be close to your perfect bass in mind...only problem is its in the wrong pup configuration.

The Ibanez BTB1205E

THE GOOD:

It's a 5'ver

It has a 35 inch scale

It's neckthrough

Its string spacing is FAIRLY narrow, you'd have to play one but I find it quite narrow

It DOES have Bartolini pups

It would be less than 1500 US, as they're only about AU$1800

Its active, and very easy to access the back panel.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

You can't switch from active to passive as far as I remember, although there is a switch on it

Not MM/J unfortunatly
:(
I don't think it comes in black with a maple fretboard
:(

So not completely what you said you wanted, but perhaps worth considering

Funny, I posted a link to that exact bass earlier in the thread too...

Archived