go ahead - blind me with science.....

chris-dax

• Members

OK - let's assume you leave your gig-bagged fender jazz locked in your car all day in a 45F degree parking garage....

you take the guitar out of the car and into the gig, unbag it, set it on a guitar stand in the middle of the room (ie not in front of a heat register)

how long does it take for the guitar to reach room temperature....?

Bonus points if you can tell me where my gig is tonight...:D

• Members

OK - let's assume you leave your gig-bagged fender jazz locked in your car all day in a 45F degree parking garage....

you take the guitar out of the car and into the gig, unbag it, set it on a guitar stand in the middle of the room (ie not in front of a heat register)

how long does it take for the guitar to reach room temperature....?

Bonus points if you can tell me where my gig is tonight...
:D

Actually, from what I've always read you're supposed to let the case(in this case, gig bag) reach room temps before opening it - although I never have...

- georgestrings

• Moderators

Actually, from what I've always read you're supposed to let the case(in this case, gig bag) reach room temps before opening it - although I never have...

- georgestrings

This is to help ease the transition assuming the case/bag acts as an insulator to slow the warming process. In most cases, the biggest issue you might run into with quick transitions is finish problems.

• Members

:idk:
15-20 minutes?

This is to help ease the transition assuming the case/bag acts as an insulator to slow the warming process. In most cases, the biggest issue you might run into with quick transitions is finish problems.

I'd guess that within 30 minutes or so, it'll stabilize to where staying in tune would be possible... and yeah, I knew about the concern for finishes in these situations - nitro being the most worrysome...

- georgestrings

• Moderators

I'd guess that within 30 minutes or so, it'll stabilize to where staying in tune would be possible... and yeah, I knew about the concern for finishes in these situations - nitro being the most worrysome...

- georgestrings

Most of the time I'm more concerned about amps warming up in time than basses. Weather sucks. I hate cold weather. I hate hot weather. I hate humid weather. I need to move to a planet that is climate controlled...

• Members

If you are concerned about neck relief and it's impact on tuning, I wouldn't worry about a 20-30F swing in the neck or body temperature.

The strings should reach room temperature pretty quickly.

Under 15 minutes??

I don't have any hard data to back this up, just my experience.

• Members

Most of the time I'm more concerned about amps warming up in time than basses. Weather sucks. I hate cold weather. I hate hot weather. I hate humid weather. I need to move to a planet that is climate controlled...

SS amps I don't worry about so much, but cold doesn't do tube amps or speakers much good.... I know what you mean about temps - here in Syracuse, it was 1F yesterday, but is supposed to reach 60F by tuesday or wednesday.... sheer craiziness, I tell ya...

- georgestrings

• Members

OK - so far we've got somewhere between 15 and 90 minutes (and 1 vote for never....:freak:)

I'm bringing two guitars to the gig tonight so I can use one (44-02) as the control....I'll try to keep checking it every 10 minutes or so and see when it feels room temp....

I've got my gear and ultra-hip gig attire loaded in the car and will have to blaze from work directly to the hotel without passing go....

I'll be on a short timeline....load in at 5....kick it at 6 so that's what got me to thinking about how long it takes to get stable.

Anyway I thought it was an interesting question....I'll circulate my findings for peer review tomorrow....

Ze gig is some kind of a formal type fund raiser event....at the Adams Mark downtown....I don't know how many folks they're expecting, but the room holds 3500 peep....:eek:

Any mile-hiers in the area - it's Adams Mark Plaza Ballroom 6-8pm....

• Members

Ok, here's my 2 cents, from experience. First of all try to NEVER have to leave your axe in extreme cold or hot conditions. If it's been left in extreme cold, when you bring it in, DON'T OPEN THE CASE. Let it warm up for 20 minutes or so first. I have seen a number of instruments' finish get destroyed by exposing it too early.

Here's a tip I learned when I was playing the festival circuit that WORKS. Take your instrument, case and all (gig bag, hard shell, whatever) and put in a sleeping bag. Yes, a sleeping bag. The added insulation really helps. I have kept mine in the trunk in extreme hot weather and taken it out of the sleeping bag and it's fine and (relatively) cool.

Don't thank me. It's all a public service :cool:

• Members

I'm in. A spaceship is going to be cheaper for us if we split the cost.

• Members

Don't think it wasn't in my original plan.
:mad:

After two trips to the Midwest in the last month, I understand why it's more expensive here.

Today, we're getting the storm of the century. Lots of rain, high winds. Sure it's snowing in the Sierras, but it's 51 degress here in SF.:thu:

• Moderators

After two trips to the Midwest in the last month, I understand why it's more expensive here.

Today, we're getting the storm of the century. Lots of rain, high winds. Sure it's snowing in the Sierras, but it's 51 degress here in SF.
:thu:

Well, if the weather was as nice here as it is there, there'd be too many people in Chicago for it to be livable. At the end of the day, I choose city life over nice weather. I do so because I am dumber than you might expect.

Archived